Rubbing noise when turning

Had the dealer overfill the power steering resevoir yesterday when they did the oil change. Had a couple of small chirps on the first half-dozen left hand turns afterwards, but it must have been just purging some bubbles, as I can now turn left as hard as I want and not experience the problem.

The dealership was appreciative to learn of the remedy as they had several other new owners complain about the problem as well.

Thank you mjm48!

...and some of the guys at Chrysler, too, I presume.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it's been about 2 weeks now and the noise is gone. Thanks again

Gave my Dodge service guys a copy of the star bulletin. They hadn't seen it before.

They overfilled the power steering reservoir (raising the level a few mm) and the noise seems gone for me as well.

It's only been a week, but so far, so good

I've had my Journey since March and began to notice the noise when turning left and accelerating out of the turn a couple of weeks ago. I don't notice the noise when I coast through the turn. The Journey has 9400 miles on it. I do a 70 mile roundtrip commute to work everday, all highway.

Journey R/T AWD

3.5L V6 24V MPI Engine

6 Speed Auto Transmission

5+2 Flexable Seating

MyGiG REN AM/FM/SAT/IPOD/MP3 UConnect System (No NAV)

mjm48 you were on the money - Thank You!!!

I just returned from the dealership and no annoying noise when making a left hand turn. I provided the document you referenced in your post and the service writer said "cool let me check that out". When the service writer called me from the waiting room he stated that some Journeys were being shipped with low power steering levels and getting air bubbles in the system causing the cavitation noise. Rather than going through the whole procedure listed, the technician pulled the lines and flushed the entire system the re-filled and pressurized to remove any pockets of air. Only 1.5 hrs for an oil change, tire rotation and power steering system flush. I have to say this problem has been present for a while but I was patient to wait for my first oil change to bring it up. So I guess you can call it a one call closure. :happy feet:

Snowbird - I go to Kelly Chrysler Dodge & Jeep (Formerly Cutrone) in Coraopolis- right down the road from Robert Morris. I have had good luck there, give them a shot! :shift:

As in the previous posts we took the note to the dealer when we had the brake fluid sensor replaced and although he scratched his head and asked where we got the info, he topped up the fluid as instructed in the star note and the noise has been gone for a week. such a simple fix!!

Thanks!!

The Stewie

• 2 weeks later...
CRH47 - Did you refer the dealer to the STAR online case number? Its not as good as a TSB but its the best I can do quickly. If you did refer dealer to the case number and he didn't do the work, please post the name of the dealer and the last 8 of your VIN (9TXXXXXX). I'll talk to the dealer.

Sam - When the dealer replaced the pump he had to drain the system then evac and fill it again. You heard the noise initially after the pump replace because there was probably still a little air left in the system. The air will purge itself out after a short time and that is why the noise went away. Check your fluid level in the reservoir. If its 4mm above the max level you'll be OK.

In September we will introduce a taller power steering fluid reservoir that will make the system much less sensitive to fill levels. We'll revise the TSB at that time to instruct the dealers to replace the fluid reservoir. In the meantime, your steering is fine and will remain fine. The noise you are hearing is cavitation noise.

So when I take my Journey back in to have the brake light issue fixed in late October, I should be able to mention the problem with the power steering fluid reservoir TSB and he should be able to replace that at the same time hopefully??

So when I take my Journey back in to have the brake light issue fixed in late October, I should be able to mention the problem with the power steering fluid reservoir TSB and he should be able to replace that at the same time hopefully??

mkcarter - Yes sir! If I can be of further assistance please let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

I took my RT in for the rubbing noise and I gave them the instructions on the overfill with the Star number. The tech tried the fix and it did not work. He was on the phone with Chrysler for some time and they have now ordered a new fluid reservoir. Apparently this is quite a large problem as they were told there is a high demand for the part. I am waiting for the part and trying to make smoother left hand turns.

I will update everyone when after the next phase of service.

I took my RT in for the rubbing noise and I gave them the instructions on the overfill with the Star number. The tech tried the fix and it did not work. He was on the phone with Chrysler for some time and they have now ordered a new fluid reservoir. Apparently this is quite a large problem as they were told there is a high demand for the part. I am waiting for the part and trying to make smoother left hand turns.

In the meantime while you're waiting for the part, you may need to just work a possible air bubble out. Mine made the noise a couple of times after the overfill, but then it went away. Try a couple hard left turns. 8-)

I've had my Journey about six weeks and notice a distinct "rubbing" noise when I turn left. My service center "could not duplicate" the noise and found nothing out of place when they checked under the vehicle.

Anyone else having a similar problem?

:unsure:

had same problem, was air in power steering

I had the same problem. Made an appointment with the dealer to have the oil changed, check the leak in the sunroof (still leaks and now I see there is a Rapid Response Recall for this) and the "turn left noise". Printed this thread and showed the Service counter guy the info within the thread of what to check for and what to do before replacing the power stearing pump. Took the repair tech for a ride to reproduce the noise, he heard it and said the problem is in the power steering system, will check it out. I told him about the info I brought and to check with the Service counter guy. I went off to the waiting room. After 1.5 hours they came back to tell me the power steering pump needs to be changed and they have to order it. I give them the benefit of the doubt seeing they are the repair experts, but asked if they checked to see it there was any TSB's on this or checked the STAR Case Number K10403532. They said they did and it said to change the pump. Then they go off to fix the leak in the sunroof. Long story short, after coming back a second time to replace the pump, the sunroof still leaks and the car still made noise when I turned left. The service guy kept telling me that I will get the survey and it wont be from the dealer and how to fill it out. Now talk about an image issue. After two days I fixed the noise myself by overfilling the power steering reservoir by 8mm above the "max" fill and a day later the noise went away and the level went down to 4mm above the "max" fill line. Must have been some extra air in the system. In my opinion, the dealer wasted my time and a perfectly good pump that might not have needed replacing. I dont think they wanted to know anything about the info I had and if it was credable. This guy made a few comments about the data and the forum. Not to mention I still have to bring it back to fix the sunroof leak. Will let you know when this issue and how many times it took is resolved.

Same problem here, gave service writer information from this forum (STAR # and TT#), but was unable to fix. Dodge dealer has a new reservoir on order, which by the way is on back order. We'll see what happens, time will tell.

:happy feet: MI :happy feet: MINE IS FIXED!! Thank you, mjm! Notified a different dealer (Vasko) near me and they had no problems repairing. Of note: they also had to repair/replace a sticking brake caliper that was causing the right front wheel to smoke when sitting at a light for a while. I'll be watching to see if this pops up anywhere else.

• 2 weeks later...

The service bulletin for grind / rub noise while turning is released. TSB 19-002-08

For those of you that followed my advice for the interim fix and had the dealer overfill your reservoir, the next time you are at the dealer tell them to apply the TSB and get a taller reservoir as this will ensure the noise does not return.

The TSB for exhaust howl / growl will be released shortly. If you're also affected by that issue keep your eyes on that thread for the TSB number.

Thank you for your patience

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had the TSB modifications performed but unfortunately the vibration/rub sound is still with me. When I first picked up my car from the service, it was horrible. They obviously did not test drive to verify they fixed the problem. It was so bad, the steering would stall in the middle of the turn. I almost hit the curb the first time I turned left. Obviously they had not purged the system to get the air out before turning it over to me. That's a dealer problem that I will deal with later.

After a few days of driving the air escaped and now I'm back to the original sound/feel that I had reported to them to begin with. Could there be a secondary cause of this noise that has not yet been determined? The vibration from my Journey feels more mechanical than just cavitation in the power steering pump. At first I thought it was the stability control system pulsing the left brake rotor, but I turned that off and the vibration remained.

UPDATE: THE NOISE HAS GONE AWAY COMPLETELY. I SUSPECT THERE WAS SOME AIR REMAINING IN THE SYSTEM THAT DIDN'T ESCAPE THE FIRST TIME, BUT AFTER 8 DAYS IT DISAPPEARED! HOORAY, AND THANKS MJM48! :happy feet:

Thanks MJM48, I took delivery of my Journey on Aug 18 and have had the noise from day 1, the reason I never took it in was Dodge ext warranty people could never get my paperwork straightened out till Nov 11, WOW! and I need a car which you don't get unless you have the ext. warr. Thanks again to Dodge Customer No Service. They replaced my reservoir and so far it is good, they also heard a popping sound in the front end which I thought was part of the problem but they found my axle nuts were loose, retorqued them. Thanks again

Thanks MJM48, I took delivery of my Journey on Aug 18 and have had the noise from day 1, the reason I never took it in was Dodge ext warranty people could never get my paperwork straightened out till Nov 11, WOW! and I need a car which you don't get unless you have the ext. warr. Thanks again to Dodge Customer No Service. They replaced my reservoir and so far it is good, they also heard a popping sound in the front end which I thought was part of the problem but they found my axle nuts were loose, retorqued them. Thanks again

When they apply this TSB what reservoir are they changing? I just took mine in for this repair and I had the car back within 45 minutes, they also said they retorqued the nuts on the exhaust in this time. When I got home I opend the hood and I could not find anything that looked new.

Power steering fluid reservoir, it is located on the left side of the engine bay near the dash panel. The new one looks the same as the old one its just taller and holds more fluid.l

I have only 7000 miles on it and thought it would be fairly easy to tell what piece was new just by looking at it ( no dust on it). I will take another look.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have had the same noise on left turns since Day No.1 They told us it was normal but if it persisted to bring it in and have it looked at.

Now that I see there is a TSB for it, I am sure my dealer will be more than happy to fix it for me (Yes, that's sarcasm).

It's going in on Friday so we will see.