those with fuel level issues

b1pig

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, cchristi61717 said:

Has any answer been found? I recently bought a brand new 2016 Dodge Journey V6 and when I fill completely up, it always reads 7/8 full and never full. I also only get around 200 city mile range and 350 highway range. 

This typically normal on the DJ it can be sometimes cured with

work on the the gas evap system venting being replaced.

My 2013 FWD Journey fuel gauge will read differently depending on where I fuel up. The local filling station is on a hill. The pumps are not quite on level ground. If I fill up with the nose pointed downhill, the gauge will read under the full mark even after moving the car to level ground and cycling the key. If the nose is pointing up, the gauge will read past full. If the car is level ( different station), the needle will just make it to the full mark but not go past. 

well my 2011 was a little off when full and my 2014 reads okay, it can be a little irritating when you think hey i paid 25k and  the fuel tank reading is a little off but i learned a long time ago not to sweat the little things in life now if you are running out of gas and having to walk then yes it is bad but never happened to me so i dont consider it a problem worth worrying about myself. as i love my journey and of course i dont get below 3/4 empty without looking for a gas station. just saying good luck all

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

I know this article is old, however I just purchased a used 2012 DJ. Having owned previous chev’s with fuel gauge issues Techron was the fix, sold in Canada as AC Delco fuel treatment you can purchase at the Chevrolet dealers. My issue seems to have been corrected!!!!! Time will tell.

I used two bottles (one on half tank) 2nd again added to half a tank. After fill to full! Vola! Fixed! 

Chevrolet issued a TSB for fuel gauge issues a few years ago 

GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS, Fuel Sending Unit Corrosion and Fuel System Deposits #05-00-89-078 - (Nov 9, 2005)

2006 and Prior All GM Cars and Trucks

2003-2006 HUMMER H2

2006 HUMMER H3

2006 and Prior Saturn (Canada Only)

2005-2006 Saab 9-7X

GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS

GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS, P/N 88861011 (for U.S. ACDelco®, use 88861013) (in Canada, 88861012), is now available.

Added Benefits and Uses

The PLUS portion of GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS is the addition of a filmer additive that, when used regularly, can protect fuel system sending units from the corrosive effects of certain sulfur contaminants found in some of today's gasoline.

Sulfur contamination can disrupt electrical continuity of certain fuel sending units and lead to erratic or false fuel gauge readings. With scheduled usage, GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS protects against the effects of harmful sulfurs in gasoline.

You Get Four Benefits

One bottle of GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS added to the fuel tank at each oil change:

• Cleans -- Sulfur corrosion from fuel gauge sending units.

• Prevents -- Harmful sulfur components from attacking sensitive fuel system electronics.

• Protects -- By coating metallic surfaces of the fuel system.

• Removes -- Engine deposits left from use of poor quality fuels.

GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS will replace the original GM Fuel System Treatment, P/N 12345104 (in Canada, 89020804). The original formula may still be available for a limited time, and provides the excellent Fuel System Cleaning aspects of the new product without the filmer.

Parts Information

Part Number

Description

88861011 (for U.S. ACDelco, use 88861013)

(in Canada, 88861012)

GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS”

37 minutes ago, jkeaton said:

You will void your warranty knowingly using a product designed for a GM vehicle in a FCA vehicle. 

Don’t have a warranty anyways :) it would technically be the same as sea foam and the like. 

Edited by leafsby1

i have used techron fuel additive in the past with my truck that i didnt drive very often ,was told by my mech it would help to help keep the fuel body clean and to prevent stalling worked real good, i put some in my journey every so often when ever its on bogo sale,,,

7 hours ago, 2late4u said:

i have used techron fuel additive in the past with my truck that i didnt drive very often ,was told by my mech it would help to help keep the fuel body clean and to prevent stalling worked real good, i put some in my journey every so often when ever its on bogo sale,,,

Did it seem to work for you? I know with the AC Delco stuff it only treats a max of 57 liters of fuel so I made sure I was only at half both times. I got my fingers crossed it stays working. 

• 3 months later...
On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 8:01 PM, Journeyman425 said:

My 2013 FWD Journey fuel gauge will read differently depending on where I fuel up. The local filling station is on a hill. The pumps are not quite on level ground. If I fill up with the nose pointed downhill, the gauge will read under the full mark even after moving the car to level ground and cycling the key. If the nose is pointing up, the gauge will read past full. If the car is level ( different station), the needle will just make it to the full mark but not go past. 

This would tend to back up a theory that I have.

I bought my 2016 R/T used in October 2017. Going in, I was aware of concerns from others about Full readings and "gallons per fill-up". Usually, when filling, I would get a needle just below full and it would drop a bit fairly quick. I also would get the "low fuel" light and rarely be able to put more than 15-16 gallon in on fill-up. I have drove well over 100 miles on the light a couple of times before putting in just about 17 gallons in a 20.5 gallon tank.

Here is what I do now. I still get the low-fuel light and can only put 16-16.5 gallons in. I can live with that. I also slow the input nozzle down considerably for the first few gallons. It seems that my fuel gauge will read fuller, and for a longer period, if I take more time to fill. It also seems to read better if I fill before the tank reads under 1/8 - 1/4. I put almost as much in at this point as if I let it drop to the red line (with-in a gallon). My thought is there is an air bubble in the tank that needs to be slowly worked out. Can I prove it? No, that would require crawling under the vehicle and studying the shape and layout of the tank to see if that is possible. I don't find the issue to be of any concern anymore. My gauge works fine following this practice, my mileage is good, and I know that I have spare fuel in the tank if needed.

If you are so inclined, and curious, try it. It would be interesting to hear feed back from others.