those with fuel level issues

b1pig

Just came back from the my dealership,they replaced:fuell sending module.looks like it start fill normaly.I will monitor for re-fuelling for next few weeks an will report back if this was fixed issue with fuel level. The technician re-fill the gas tank and don`t reported any issue after mudule is change.

• Official Dodge Support

Hot off the press.

NUMBER: 08-063-12

GROUP: Electrical

DATE: December 11, 2012

SUBJECT:

Fuel Gauge Will Not Read Full After Filling Up The Fuel Tank

OVERVIEW:

This bulletin involves replacing the fuel pump module.

MODELS:

2011 - 2012 (JC) Journey

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with 3.6L, or 2.0L Turbo Diesel

engine (sales code ERB or EBT) equipped with a 20.5 Gallon Fuel Tank (sales

code NFP) built before May 30, 2012 (MDH 0530XX) or 2.4L engine (sales

code ED3) equipped with a 20.5 Gallon Fuel Tank (sales code NFP) or export

fuel tank (sales code XDC) built before May 30, 2012 (MDH 0530XX).

NOTE: This bulletin DOES NOT apply to vehicles equipped with All Wheel drive

(AWD).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

After filling up the fuel tank, the customer may notice that their fuel gauge does not read

full. On further inspection the tech will NOT find any Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) for

this condition.

Replacement of the Fuel pump module will repair this concern.

Thanks, Chris!

I will have this applied at my next service in a week or so. I doubt this will fix my issue of being able to put 5 - 10 more litres of gas in the tank after initial click-off of the gas pump but this is a move in the right direction.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Official Dodge Support

I hope it fixes the issue and would appreciate anyone who has the TSB performed to report back the results so I can let engineering know if this fix does indeed resolve the fuel fill problem. Thanks...

Chris,

I had this TSB performed last Friday the 4th of January and it has NOT fixed my problem. The service rep told me that there were two parts to the TSB - first check to ensure the vehicle had the latest version of the software as there was supposedly a fix there for the fuel gauge (my Journey already had the correct version of the software), then the other step would be to replace the fuel pump, which they say they did.

When I did my first fill up that day, the gauge barely made it to the F and that was with me slowly filling the tank to the top. Also, the gauge has already dropped to the 3/4 mark after only about 50 kms of driving. I think it is inaccurate when it gets to the E as well. Several times, I have been on the E for a bit and could barely get 65 litres in the tank before the gas pump shut off. Even then trying to squeeze in more, I could usually not make it to 70 litres. So the tank was quite far from being empty, even when the gauge was on the E for a day or two of driving.

I'd be happy to be a guinea pig if Chrysler wants to do any further testing.

• Official Dodge Support
Chris,

I had this TSB performed last Friday the 4th of January and it has NOT fixed my problem. The service rep told me that there were two parts to the TSB - first check to ensure the vehicle had the latest version of the software as there was supposedly a fix there for the fuel gauge (my Journey already had the correct version of the software), then the other step would be to replace the fuel pump, which they say they did.

When I did my first fill up that day, the gauge barely made it to the F and that was with me slowly filling the tank to the top. Also, the gauge has already dropped to the 3/4 mark after only about 50 kms of driving. I think it is inaccurate when it gets to the E as well. Several times, I have been on the E for a bit and could barely get 65 litres in the tank before the gas pump shut off. Even then trying to squeeze in more, I could usually not make it to 70 litres. So the tank was quite far from being empty, even when the gauge was on the E for a day or two of driving.

I'd be happy to be a guinea pig if Chrysler wants to do any further testing.

DRB,

Thanks for the response. Did they give you a copy of the repair order that lists the part numbers that they used? The part number that the TSB specifies they use is 05145614AB. Just want to make sure they used that part number before I pass on the fact that it did not work. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

This would be good to know for me as well. My DJ has been fine since I bought it in March but more recently, I find when I fill it up, the gas needle never reaches the Full mark no matter how much I try to squeeze gas in there. Let me know if there is a fix. I will try to ease off on the trigger next time to see if this works for me (ventilation issue maybe?).

I filled up yesterday. The gas gauge was slightly below the E, which should have meant that I was basically running on fumes. I was only able to get 58 Litres in the tank before the pump clicked off!!!! I was able to squeeze it up to 64 litres, at which point the gas was starting to flow out of the filler neck. The gas gauge did go just slightly past the F.

Clearly, I was nowhere near empty, given that the tank holds 78 litres. I still had approx. 14 litres of gas in the tank, despite the gas gauge being BELOW the E!

The new fuel pump has not fixed this issue for me. If anything, it is actually worse now that before the fix.

I don.t know if it's common practice in all builds in the Chrysler

product line but when my last 2 Mopars (Caravan Caliber) hit "E"

with the low fuel light on the tank still had 6-7 liters in it.

It was explained to me that this was protection for the fuel

pump located in the tank,fuel (believe or not) is used as a

coolant for the pump.

It was a 74 liter tank and I very seldom got more than

65-67 liters in.

If you overfill your system it starts to flood the evap recovery

system which can damage components,give codes and cost

money to repair.

I can understand companies being conservative with the gauge being on the E but 14 litres as in my most recent fill up? In a 78 litre tank, that is 18% of the tank still with fuel in it but the gauge showing that you should be running on fumes.

The DTE is a product of the EVIC alogorythm

that is shown as L/KM.

Sometimes when I park the DJ (terrain influence) that DTE has

changed,again calibration of the fuel level in the tank.

Right now my fuel log kms versus liters shows me that DTE

is wrong as shown in the EVIC.

Rolly in your case 78-58=20 liters left,my log would say

my DTE was approx 160 kms.

I know your local drive terrain is quite flat but is your driveway/garage

level.

As a born and raised Windsorite I am sure my fuel figs

would be better/more consistent than here in Burlington.

Hi bigtsr, I was at a stop light when the fuel light came on. I checked and it was a 50 km's til empty and by the time I got to Costco to fill up it was at 37, so I don't know how accurate it is. I'll have it checked at the dealer when I go for my first oil change if it continues. I'm not panicking yet. I just find this strange. I'm heading to Toronto for the Sportmen's Show next weekend so I'll get a better sense of what's going on.

• 4 weeks later...

I had the fuel pump replaced per this TSB and as far as i can tell, it did not make a difference. If I'm on the last line before empty, I should be able to put 68 litres in. I got to 50 when the gas pump stopped. I also got the gauge to drop to the 7/8ths line after going 13.9km. There's no way the fuel pump replacement fixes this issue.