Tow Prep-Package!!

caperinmuskoka

So is there an answer to the towing debate... I have a 2010 and with 1 to 2 passengers the rating is 3500 for the 3.5 motor. That number decreases as the number of occupants increases to a max of 7 passengers and 2500lbs capacity. The 2013 is rated with 1 to 2 passengers at 2500LBS and thought that dodge underrated it as they must have found some problems over the years and that number needed to be adjusted. Personally I have a popup trailer with a dry weight of 2800LBS and have never had a prob towing it with 5 passengers but we do have the trailer brake controller that takes the stress off the tow vehicles. We live in canada so extreme temperatures that exist from over heating have never been an issue for me and yes we had the tow prep package installed. we are currently upgrading from a 2010 FWD to a 2013 AWD and were a little concerned at first but im sure we will be fine...

We are into our 2nd camp season now with our Journey SXT and our Flagstaff popup camper. I know when we load it up its sitting over 2400 pounds and it seems to be doing fine with 2 adults, 2 kids, and 2 Labs in the car....

I do have the tranny cooler in my 2009 Journey (no tow package) and after I added tow bar and brake control it seems to be fine.

I can average about 16.5 MPG in the Branson Missouri hills for a full tank of gas so that is a huge plus over using my truck.

• 3 weeks later...

I was checking the 2013 parts Journey, since I can't check parts on the 2014 yet, and it does show an oil cooler for the 2.7 liter i4 but not the 3.6 liter V6. Is this the case that the 3.6 liter V6 with tow prep does not have an oil cooler? I can understand that since it has a larger pan. Both have trans coolers.

So I've found the transmission cooler, power steering cooler, condenser and of course the radiator but no oil cooler nor can I found it on the mopar.com web site. Can anyone give me a hint where it would be located? I would have assumed in front of the radiator.

I must say I never expected a power steering oil cooler but then the last cars we purchased were in 2004, 2001 and 1998 and none of them had power steering coolers.

• Official Dodge Support

So I've found the transmission cooler, power steering cooler, condenser and of course the radiator but no oil cooler nor can I found it on the mopar.com web site. Can anyone give me a hint where it would be located? I would have assumed in front of the radiator.

I must say I never expected a power steering oil cooler but then the last cars we purchased were in 2004, 2001 and 1998 and none of them had power steering coolers.

This is the picture of the engine oil cooler from the service manual. The trailer tow package included engine oil cooler (NHA) and

Trailer tow w/4-pin connector wiring.

2013 - JC - DODGE JOURNEY - 3.6L V6 V.V.T.

GUID-09-013-500-2826514.jpg

The oil cooler is attached to the top of the oil filter housing which is located in the V of the cylinder block. The oil cooler is a plate style coolant-to-oil heat exchanger.

GUID-09-013-500-2710718.jpgGUID-09-013-500-2707169.jpg4 bolts (2) and two screws (1) and (3).

Oil cooler seals (1) onto the oil filter housing (2). Oil cooler (4) on the oil filter housing.

Well, no wonder I could not find it. I was looking for something much larger plus not under the plastic engine cover. Yep, mine has it. I'm guessing when that engine is used on the Drango the oil cooler might be just a takeoff and hoses would go to a larger one which would make sense if towing 3,500 lbs. Missed that it was a heat exchanger so it gets water from the radiator which cools the oil. Nice way to do it without running oil lines all over the place.

Thanks, mystery solved.

The more I learn about how the Journey is engineered the more I'm impressed with it.

I'd still love to get the Build sheet for mine.

Funny thing. The Journey I was originally gong to get was built on my birthday. This one was built a few days before. It would have been cool to have a car that was built on your birthday but no such luck this time around.

Edited by Timon

Sorry to ask one more question. Is there any difference between the 2014 Journey 3.6 liter without the tow package and the one with the tow package? Is there an additional oil cooler and is the trans cooler and power steering cooler any different?

FYI, I've tried building a 2014 Journey 3.6 liter on the web site and have never found a tow prep option so I'm wondering if most of it is built in except for the cable that plugs into the 5 pin connector.

Correction, I was finally able to fine the Tow Prep package for the 2014 Journey. It's only $145 so I suspect that it only includes the Cable assembly, someone please correct me on this if I'm wrong. I still cannot create a build that matches the Journey that I purchased no matter how I try.I've gone through all base models with no luck at all. I understand that the dealers can build ones to their on liking but I cannot get very close.

My built, see my signature, is the best I can do not having the build sheet.

Edited by Timon

Sorry to ask one more question. Is there any difference between the 2014 Journey 3.6 liter without the tow package and the one with the tow package? Is there an additional oil cooler and is the trans cooler and power steering cooler any different?

FYI, I've tried building a 2014 Journey 3.6 liter on the web site and have never found a tow prep option so I'm wondering if most of it is built in except for the cable that plugs into the 5 pin connector.

Correction, I was finally able to fine the Tow Prep package for the 2014 Journey. It's only $145 so I suspect that it only includes the Cable assembly, someone please correct me on this if I'm wrong. I still cannot create a build that matches the Journey that I purchased no matter how I try.I've gone through all base models with no luck at all. I understand that the dealers can build ones to their on liking but I cannot get very close.

My built, see my signature, is the best I can do not having the build sheet.

Mine states that the oil cooler and wiring harness are what the "package" adds...

Mine shows an oil cooler so unless there are two different coolers the only thing I'm missing is the harness.

So I see three ways to go.

1. Get the harness were talking about with the 4 pin trailer connector and have the Journey flashed.

2. Get a different harness from Mopar for the Journey which comes with a 7 pin trailer connector plus a 7 to 4 pin adapter. It cost more but does not require flashing. It also takes more work to install. I'm assuming that it fits the 2014 as well as the 2013.

3 Get a third party harness.

Option 1 and 2 will cost about the same if you install option 2 your self. Option 3 is about the least expensive if installed your self but is not as complete as option 2.

Mine shows an oil cooler so unless there are two different coolers the only thing I'm missing is the harness.

So I see three ways to go.

1. Get the harness were talking about with the 4 pin trailer connector and have the Journey flashed.

2. Get a different harness from Mopar for the Journey which comes with a 7 pin trailer connector plus a 7 to 4 pin adapter. It cost more but does not require flashing. It also takes more work to install. I'm assuming that it fits the 2014 as well as the 2013.

3 Get a third party harness.

Option 1 and 2 will cost about the same if you install option 2 your self. Option 3 is about the least expensive if installed your self but is not as complete as option 2.

Personally, I don't see the point in the 7-way... The DJ isn't able to tow anything heavy enough to use the trailer brake pin and I see very little need for the power pin (unless maybe you have a tent trailer). Not worth the extra hassle in my opinion. Depending on your dealer, the "flash" for the 4-way may be free, you may want to check on that. I would think that if you recently purchased it and the dealer is one of the good ones they would be up for a freebie. Aftermarket will be your easiest install and should be more than sufficient. That being said, I always prefer to go OEM if the benefit outweighs the cost.

Actually not totally true, I've found several ultra-lite trailers that have trailer brakes which were designed to be towed by small SUVs and cross overs. You can get them with surge brakes but I think I'd rather have electric. There is a lot of work being done on ultra-lite trailers these days.

A tent trailer or small ultra-lite is what we're looking at. It would not be that hard to add the extra wiring for brakes and aux power to the 4 pin cables since there are 7 pin connectors that have a 4 pin connector plus breakout wiring for the other three signals. This should work as long at the 4 pin cable does not use any ground sensing which I assume it wouldn't.

The one thing that I cannot find information about the 7 pin cable is about the brake controller. The installation instructions doesn't say if it's built in nor does it show a breakout wire to connect a brake controller to.

Actually not totally true, I've found several ultra-lite trailers that have trailer brakes which were designed to be towed by small SUVs and cross overs. You can get them with surge brakes but I think I'd rather have electric. There is a lot of work being done on ultra-lite trailers these days.

A tent trailer or small ultra-lite is what we're looking at. It would not be that hard to add the extra wiring for brakes and aux power to the 4 pin cables since there are 7 pin connectors that have a 4 pin connector plus breakout wiring for the other three signals. This should work as long at the 4 pin cable does not use any ground sensing which I assume it wouldn't.

The one thing that I cannot find information about the 7 pin cable is about the brake controller. The installation instructions doesn't say if it's built in nor does it show a breakout wire to connect a brake controller to.

That surprises me... around here they typically don't come with brakes until you hit 2,500lbs (more commonly 3,000lbs). Not that it is a bad idea, I've just never seen it. I used to tow a 30' camper with my Ram and the electric brakes are awfully nice. I did have surge brakes on my boat and these days you can still get the automatic reverse lockout and such on the surges, but I prefer the electric ones for sure.

I cannot speak to the presence of brake controller wiring in the DJ, but every other Chrysler product I've owned (that wasn't a car) has had the wiring tucked up under the dash. Usually they are hidden on the back side of a large bundle of wires and are a complete pain in the ass to get to. I'd take a look with an extendable mirror of some sort, it should be fairly obvious if you get in there.

Some of the ultra-lites I've look at do hit 2,500 to 2,700 GVW is you load them to the max which is close to 900 lbs of cargo so that falls within the range you stated. We'd have to make sure not to load it to the max with cargo so we go over 2,500 lbs but for two people and two dogs I cannot see more than 500 or 600 lbs added on to the trailer weight.

The 7 pin harness for the Journey has the standard Dodge 10 ping connector which plugs into the 7 pin RV type however unlike the pickup there is nothing that goes up to the area behind the dash just two connections that run to the battery. There very well could be a pigtail for the brakes but it's just not shown in the installation documents.

Edited by Timon

Some of the ultra-lites I've look at do hit 2,500 to 2,700 GVW if you load them to the max which is close to 900 lbs of cargo so that falls within the range you stated. We'd have to make sure not to load it to the max with cargo so we go over 2,500 lbs but for two people and two dogs I cannot see more than 500 or 600 lbs added on to the trailer weight.

The 7 pin harness for the Journey has the standard Dodge 10 ping connector which plugs into the 7 pin RV type however unlike the pickup there is nothing that goes up to the area behind the dash just two connections that run to the battery. There very well could be a pigtail for the brakes but it's just not shown in the installation documents.

Edited by Timon

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd update the thread. I just found out, while looking at what license you need to pull a 39' 5th wheel, that in California any trailer over 1,500 lbs is required to have brakes.

Probably a good idea not to leave it up to individuals to make the choice... A lot of people make bad ones... Here it is 3,000lbs, but there are clearly some vehicles that could tow 2,000lbs but not stop it safely.

• 1 year later...