Big brake kit to repace crappy OE brakes?

I has my rotors and pads, fronts and rears replaced at 25000 km at no cost to me, I called chrysler about the rears and the dealer replace them under the warranty for the front. I also have the extended warranty which means my calipers are under warranty untill 2017 or 160,000 km. I'm guessing the reason for them replacing the rears was to keep us happy since they did them while the journey was in having both cylinder heads Replaced because of 2 cylinders being bad. All this with 25000 km on it

So, what i'm seeing here is a 'known' issue of the journey's brakes? Meaning at 20,000km i must expect a wearing down on the brakes and have them replaced or serviced?

This kinda bothers me cause i'm buying the 2012 Journey and am expecting it will give me headache later on = meaning after 3 years or so.

I mean im a light-footed driver and I take care of my cars alot but having brake problems just after a year isn't good in my book.

Our toyota hiace is going 50,000kms this months and i've not heard issues with whatsoever, unlike this. I know it's not apples to apples but is Dodge really is that unreliable? Jeez.

So, what i'm seeing here is a 'known' issue of the journey's brakes? Meaning at 20,000km i must expect a wearing down on the brakes and have them replaced or serviced?

Not necessarily. My 2011 is at nearly 17K miles (~27000 km) with no problems whatsoever. I think brakes are a known issue on this forum. I personally have not had confirmation that all Journeys have brake issues. Reduced brake life can be from poor quality or poor design certainly, but brake life can also be driver dependent. Some maintain that the brakes are too small and hence wear out sooner. I'm neither a mechanic nor an engineer, so I'm not sure, but mine seem fine so far. I also think the brake issues are more prevalent on the '09 and '10 Journeys. Good luck with your Journey and your brakes.

Peace.

Not necessarily. My 2011 is at nearly 17K miles (~27000 km) with no problems whatsoever. I think brakes are a known issue on this forum. I personally have not had confirmation that all Journeys have brake issues. Reduced brake life can be from poor quality or poor design certainly, but brake life can also be driver dependent. Some maintain that the brakes are too small and hence wear out sooner. I'm neither a mechanic nor an engineer, so I'm not sure, but mine seem fine so far. I also think the brake issues are more prevalent on the '09 and '10 Journeys. Good luck with your Journey and your brakes.

Peace.

Thank you for shedding light on this issue. At least I have one assurance that not all journey models have brake issues.

Btw, all things being equal at what mileage do cars usually replace brake pads? rotors?

Crappy brake systems withstanding I believe the majority

of problems reflect where and how you drive.

The 5yr old Caliber I traded on the DJ was at 75,000 km

on original brakes/rotors all around and still had 25%

left on the least worn.

Best I ever had was '92 Caravan SB brakes not done til 105,000 km.

I lost a front rotor on the DJ due to an emergency stop when a

woman blew thru a red light,it was replaced along with the pads

at 10,000km was checking it today and it has nice even wear

and surprisingly little brake dust at 12,500 km.

A mechanic at my dealership says he believes that the brake assist

on the DJ is too aggressive set and that's why they are noisy during

aggressive braking and cause excessive wear when used some owners.

• 1 month later...

My SXT brakes are big enough to barely fit inteh 17" wheels. The problem is Chinese steel of the rotors and high friction, low wear coefficient pads. A rotor upgrade is due. The pads also. I am not familiar with the slider setup on these calipers, but a little insight would be nice. Chrysler has been bringing a lot of the parts manufacturing back to the US, but I do not know about the brake rotors other than Daimler and Cerebrus had the stuff made in China.

. The problem is Chinese steel of the rotors and high friction, low wear coefficient pads. A rotor upgrade is due. The pads also. I am not familiar with the slider setup on these calipers, but a little insight would be nice. Chrysler has been bringing a lot of the parts manufacturing back to the US, but I do not know about the brake rotors other than Daimler and Cerebrus had the stuff made in China.

Your incorrect on them being made in china. And if you have the bigger brakes,as by the sounds of it you do, I wouldn't get to excited about swapping them out. We have had almost 0 issues with them , on caravans or journeys.

Let me correct myself. I knew that GM makes a bunch of engines there in China, and Chrysler (under dumbler) made a bunch of parts there, such as camshafts, etc, and I thought I was told that back then, some of the brake hardware was. If I am mistaken in that, I apologize. I can stand corrected, as I have no firsthand knowledge.

I do have the big brakes. Mine is an SXT 4 cyl, 4 spd, FWD. Built in May I think. Maybe they have fixed the issue. As for the retrofit, is it doable for those with the old style brakes?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Instead of posting the same info twice, have a look at this thread: http://www.dodgejourneyforum.com/topic/3062-12s-with-awd-have-bigger-brakes/page-4

It discusses the bigger brakes now found on some 2012 model Journeys and possibly all 2013 models???

If you want to upgrade to bigger brakes on your older Journey, it looks like the parts can be bought for around $500. I JUST had my crappy smaller brakes replaced by the dealer under warranty, so I am not ready for a set yet, but will certainly be upgrading the next time it happens.

• 3 weeks later...

hi.. I am totally confused on this topic. I have 2010 DJ (manufacture date of Oct 2010) with 29K and my brakes seem fine. Some days I do notice stopping power when I need it is not there, but thinking it maybe due to the weight of the car. I am also noticed from most of the posts the premature brake wear seems more common with people running higher KMS.. 10 k - with in months or 20K with in a year. Anyways.. I live in Toronto area and so far love my DJ so far. Only complaint really is crappy mileage. But anyways I am planning a trip down south and with the price of auto parts as they are I would really love to hear from a mopar / dodge mechanic on a recommendation of size, vendor and type of pads and rotors. When I researched the car as much as I wanted the V6, it seemed most of the problems were attributed with V6 models and this swayed my decision to the 4 Cyl SE Plus model.

So its time again to do this brakes and I was looking around online and stumbled upon this website that sell an upgrade kit for the journey and was hoping someone might have used this product and give some feedback on how the perform.

http://www.buybrakes.com/c-80_2010-dodge-journey_brake-kits.aspx

I want to know if i can install bigger brakes on my journey and this seems like something good.

Anyone?

It's probably time to chime in to this discussion. I have a 2011 Dodge Journey Crew and I seem to be affected by the brake issues the forum are discussing. Not sure what the symptoms others have had, but mine is more a shuddering or even no braking feel, almost like the brakes don't bite. I called my dealership today and inquired if there were any recalls or issues, but none were on file for the 2011+ Journeys. From what the rep said, they feel that it's wear and tear and due to the rotors warping, so unfortunately it's not covered under warranty.

Wanted to inquire with the forum as to what to do:

-Get the rotors machined and pads replaced, if needed(could be worn inproperly due to the rotors) and wait for this to happen again = could be a recurring cost

-Get an aftermarket replacement, $450 or so in parts + labour = fix the issue now and hope for the best

As for the discussion of upgrading to a big brake kit, I honestly think the issue is more due to the OEM brake product is not of good quality. I remember getting my Journey and within the first week, my front brakes squealed and had to be fully replaced. I can also account the brake dusts that I continue to get a sign of lower quality pads being used, but I could be wrong. I would also throw caution to those thinking of a big brake kit that downsize their rims and tires during winter. I noticed the clearance on my 17" winter rims are really close to the brake calipers.

I did some research and found replacements from Centro, Stoptech, and Powerslot for rotors. The Stoptech and Powerslot are more expensive due to the drilled and slotted options, while the Centro is just plain. As for pads, I noticed the Akebono or Centric for ceramic pads.Any recommendations if anyone have gone with aftermarket?

Thanks in advance!

I have not had any problems with my brakes yet, but I'd love to upgrade to the brembo brakes. If they are available for the DJ, I think they are definitely worth the upgrade. I think bigger brakes would fit because they increased the brake size in the middle of 2012 without any other changes. Good Luck.

Peace.

Thanks for the feedback I was thinking the ecxact same thing.

Cheers!

Be aware that slotted and/or drilled rotors are somewhat noisy. And they get REAL noisy, if driven in salty conditions. Akebono make a VERY good ceramic pad, I use them myself.

Bottom line is the smaller Journey/Caravan brakes are just too small. You can use whatever pads/rotors you want, they are too small. There is no "fix". If your that concerned , I would put the newer stuff on, but its gonna be pricey. The bigger brakes work SOOOOO much better, esp, if you are hard on them. Go and test drive a new one, and you'll see what I mean.

Did you upgrade to the bigger brake kits? If by chance the dealer is willing to replace the brakes, would there be any chance to request the 2013 kits?

Be aware that slotted and/or drilled rotors are somewhat noisy. And they get REAL noisy, if driven in salty conditions. Akebono make a VERY good ceramic pad, I use them myself.

Bottom line is the smaller Journey/Caravan brakes are just too small. You can use whatever pads/rotors you want, they are too small. There is no "fix". If your that concerned , I would put the newer stuff on, but its gonna be pricey. The bigger brakes work SOOOOO much better, esp, if you are hard on them. Go and test drive a new one, and you'll see what I mean.