Big brake kit to repace crappy OE brakes?

I'm fully aware of the brake problems on the 2009/2010 models. I suspect they used the Avenger platform brakes thinking they'll be OK for the bigger and heavier Journey. Keep in mind the Journey shares a lot with the Avenger platform. We replaced the original brake pads/rotors at 23,000 miles and are ready to replace again at 45,000 miles. Unreal.

So, has anyone looked into a brake upgrade system like a big brake kit from Brembo or SSBC? I realize these can cost a lot of money but I think they would dramatically increase the performance and safety of the vehicle.

• 1 month later...

We have a 2010 SXT and love it, though after about 2 weeks we noticed the shuttering on slowdown with the front brakes. I have done enough work to know that it is the rotors and/or pads, so no need to take it to dealer. We purchased it with a few higher highway miles and got a deal and got the extended platinum warranty. I have looked and researched greatly and need to change brakes soon. This is a link to the kit I am going to use. I have checked into the EBC brake kits and others as well and none of them got the reviews this kit has. I will post in a couple of months again to let everyone know how they installed and handle also.

Journey brake kit

We have a 2010 SXT and love it, though after about 2 weeks we noticed the shuttering on slowdown with the front brakes. I have done enough work to know that it is the rotors and/or pads, so no need to take it to dealer. We purchased it with a few higher highway miles and got a deal and got the extended platinum warranty. I have looked and researched greatly and need to change brakes soon. This is a link to the kit I am going to use. I have checked into the EBC brake kits and others as well and none of them got the reviews this kit has. I will post in a couple of months again to let everyone know how they installed and handle also.

Journey brake kit

looks like a good price for what you rec. about $56. for each piece. will think of doing the same if and when i need to do mine . PLEASE tell us after doing them and later on how they are doing.

• 2 weeks later...

Replacing the solid rotors with aftermarket cross drilled (and/or slotted) rotors is a mild upgrade which might help reduce overheating a little bit but it won't solve the problem. The issue, in my engineering opinion, is the brakes are undersized for the vehicle's weight and size. They tend to overheat easily and chew up pads like crazy, which tells me they are too small for the vehicle. I'm pretty sure they sourced the brakes off the Dodge Avenger platform.

So, I'm going to research how easy it would be to upgrade the rotors, calipers, and brackets to fit a bigger factory setup (at least on the front brakes.....rear brakes don't seem to be a big problem). I'm thinking either upgrading to the new 2011 Journey or finding another Dodge platform to steal the brakes from. I'd love to fit the SRT-8 brakes on the front. That would solve all the problems.

• 2 months later...

I have a 2010 journey sxt,same problem brakes,,,after looking into it I install front and rear cross and slotted rotors with ceramic pads ,,,seams to work I did it myself,,but the wheel shakes still when I brake hard around 40. To 50 mph..I wonder if it's a rotor problem,,,I have 15,000 plus miles on it...any ideas email me,,,I'm still looking. Trivone@msn.com

• 4 weeks later...

Are they still using the same size brakes for the 2012 Journey's?

Any differance between the CVP(Canadian Value Package,SXT,or the R/T?

What about brake size from 17" wheels up to the 19" on the R/T

Same brakes?

You would think after 4 years comming back to the dealers they would have up-graded by now?

Are the 2012 still from the Avenger platform?

Thanks...................Caper............

Edited by caperinmuskoka

• 1 month later...

Just replaced my oem 2010 journey brakes with the kit above. It has been two weeks and I painted the calipers front and rear red as I replaced the rotors and pads. The new rotors work great, though there is a slight noise that comes from the slotted and drilled rotors that was not there with the solid ones, imagine the pads sliding over grooves in the rotor, that is the sound, hard to explain but not very loud. The red calipers looks awsome and I will post some pics soon. I also have installed led lights from Plasmaglow under the sides and wired them into the interior lighting and hey work awsome also. I still have not replaced the rear rotors but will in a couple of months. I would recommend the kit above to stop the shuddering though. Notice though that there is a slight difference in the feel of carbon brakes compared to the normal ones.

have been told that using ceramic pads will reduce the dust problems, but they also are tougher on the rotors, i talked to 3 different parts store and they all said the same thing about the pads wearing out the rotors because they build up more heat when stopping. havent ever tried ceramic pads. wonder if this is true?

• 2 weeks later...

well, updating my situation. Like I mentioned before, replaced my front brakes with the powerstop kit, ceramic pads and all. I also purchased some ceramic pads for the rear also. Now, only about 2 weeks after the install, about every fourth time I stop it makes a heavy scrubbing/grinding sound. Not like metal to metal, but like the pads are trying to lock onto the rotor. I have replaces brakes before on several cars, my uncle is a mechanic by trade and I am no noob to the brakes. NOTE, if you change your brakes, you will need to use either needle nose pliers or a special tool from the parts house to Thread bad in the piston on the rear brakes, do NOT use a C clamp as it will cause damage in most cases.

I am going to take the truck over to a trusted local brake shop and have them ride with me the next chance I get. I will post again after this happens.

• 1 month later...

Replacing the solid rotors with aftermarket cross drilled (and/or slotted) rotors is a mild upgrade which might help reduce overheating a little bit but it won't solve the problem. The issue, in my engineering opinion, is the brakes are undersized for the vehicle's weight and size. They tend to overheat easily and chew up pads like crazy, which tells me they are too small for the vehicle. I'm pretty sure they sourced the brakes off the Dodge Avenger platform.

So, I'm going to research how easy it would be to upgrade the rotors, calipers, and brackets to fit a bigger factory setup (at least on the front brakes.....rear brakes don't seem to be a big problem). I'm thinking either upgrading to the new 2011 Journey or finding another Dodge platform to steal the brakes from. I'd love to fit the SRT-8 brakes on the front. That would solve all the problems.

Not sure what you mean by saying "upgrading to the new 2011". I have just replaced all 4 disks/pads on my 2011 Journey RT at 26000km. ???

My 2011 Journey is under a year old with about 33000kms and needs new brakes/rotors so I called up a mechanic buddy for advice. He says ceramic pads will stop the brake dust and are very quiet but they won't really help with the overheating which is the main problem here. I then asked about slotted rotors to help with the overheating and he says he hasn't seen many people use them but from what he's heard, they will chew through your pads like crazy so be ready to replace those often. Maybe this would still be better depending on how much the pads cost. The service manager at my dealership has offered to pay the parts for the replacement of my front and rear brakes this time around. I only have to pay the 3 hours labor so I'm taking that option but I wouldn't be surprised if I need to get everything replaced again in another years time. Only time will tell.

I am so pissed off with Dodge right now that I already started to make plans on trading this vehicle (2010 sxt) for something else.I have my eye on the 2013 Sonata 2.0T and it seems like a decent car to own.I cant keep doing this break thing every 8000 km and I don't have the patience to argue with this idiots from dodge either.The service guy had the freaking balls to tell me that my driving style is the cause of my break problems.

I wanted to take off is stinking head I swear.No more American cars for me after this one cause I just had it with this nonsense.I don't care if I have to be upside down on the car I am willing to take a hit just so I can get out of owning the Journey.Terrible on gas,unique expensive wheels,crappy brakes,power issues and who knows what else comes along as time passes by.Its totally unacceptable in my opinion for someone to go through crap like this.My car has 2800 km and I barely drive it and to experience problems like this is just crazy.

Are the 2012 still from the Avenger platform?

Thanks...................Caper............

According to the 2012 spec guide for both vehicles, the Avenger has:

Front

Size and Type 11.5 x 1.0 (294 x 26) vented rotors with 2.2 (57.0) single-piston floating caliper

Swept Area (Total Front) 223.5 sq. in. (1442.1 sq. cm.)

Rear

Size and Type 10.3 x 0.4 (262 x 10) solid rotor with 1.4 (35.0) single-piston floating caliper

Swept Area (Total Rear) 138.6 sq. in. (894.6 sq. cm.)

And the Journey has:

Front

Size and Type 11.9 x 1.1-in. (302 x 28 mm) vented rotors with 2.6 (66.0)

single-piston floating caliper

Swept Area (total front) 231.6 sq. in. (1494 sq. cm)

Rear

Size and Type 12.0 x 0.47-in. (305 x 12 mm) solid rotors with 1.7 (43.0)

single-piston floating caliper

Swept Area (total rear) 216.3 sq in. (1395 sq. cm.)

So, from what the specs say, the DJ does have slightly larger brakes than the Avenger. Also, after a bit of digging, I found the spec guides for the 2008 Avenger and 2009 Journey; they match what you see above for each vehicle, so the brake sizes haven't changed, apart from those who've noticed that the R/T's have gotten a slight increase in size; I suspect they'll add that to the spec sheets for 2013 as it was a mid year change from what it seems.

cheers.

Steph S.

the Journey uses Caravan brakes, not Avenger.Avenger is similar to Caliber . At some point when I get a chance I will do a rightup on what some of the brake issues are, and how to overcome some of them. They are not the best design for one, but also, if they are NOT repaired correctly, and most ARE NOT , they they are short lived.There is WAY more to a brake job, than slapping on a set of pads and rotors, but thats what most people do, including repair shops. We have VERY good luck at our dealer with brakes lasting, after they are repaired right.

Were you in Sales before the shop?.....J/K ........as you will know....it's very important to lube the slide post between and when changing the pads/rotors........This is usually done in a annual brake service the dealer want to perform.

Most people's driving habits now include speed to the next light and stop hard, speed to the light after that and stop hard.....etc......Nobody really just comes to a normal stop anymore, everybody seems to be in so much of a hurry these days....it's the way life is now, even if you don't leave the green in in a hurry now...YOU will get the horn from behind you................IMO.......Caper............

Most people's driving habits now include speed to the next light and stop hard, speed to the light after that and stop hard.....etc......Nobody really just comes to a normal stop anymore, everybody seems to be in so much of a hurry these days....it's the way life is now, even if you don't leave the green in in a hurry now...YOU will get the horn from behind you................IMO.......Caper............

You make some very good points Caper. I see that type of driving/braking all the time. Myself, I see a red light ahead, the foot comes off the accelerator, and I coast up to the light. More times then not, the light turns green and I haven't had to come to a stop. Not only does this save wear and tear on the brakes, but I get better gas mileage in town because I don't have to start up from a full stop. I've been lucky I guess, I have never had anybody give me the "horn."

I also make use of the autostick on hills, using compression braking instead of the brakes.

I guess time wil tell when I get my Journey, if driving the same way will help reduce/ eliminate the excessive brake wear others are experiencing.

Were you in Sales before the shop?.....J/K ........as you will know....it's very important to lube the slide post between and when changing the pads/rotors........This is usually done in a annual brake service the dealer want to perform.

Sales!! LOL No!! And as the driving habits go, thats not whats causing these issues. Somewhat poor design, and improper repair is.

• 2 months later...

Our 2011 is driven easy and it is going in tomorrow 8.1.12 for a really bad vibration while braking. I know it is a warped rotor problem but at 20,000 miles it shouldn't be happening. A person I work with has already had their front brakes done on their 2011 Journey and it was not covered under warranty.

• 2 weeks later...

the Journey uses Caravan brakes, not Avenger.Avenger is similar to Caliber . At some point when I get a chance I will do a rightup on what some of the brake issues are, and how to overcome some of them. They are not the best design for one, but also, if they are NOT repaired correctly, and most ARE NOT , they they are short lived.There is WAY more to a brake job, than slapping on a set of pads and rotors, but thats what most people do, including repair shops. We have VERY good luck at our dealer with brakes lasting, after they are repaired right.

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner. Yes, the Journey brakes are the same used on the Caravans which are also having issues. In fact the extended warranty provison was applied to the Journey's just after Chrysler extended them on the Journey's.

Our 2011 is driven easy and it is going in tomorrow 8.1.12 for a really bad vibration while braking. I know it is a warped rotor problem but at 20,000 miles it shouldn't be happening. A person I work with has already had their front brakes done on their 2011 Journey and it was not covered under warranty.

Correct. If one reads the warranty carefully, brake components (pads, rotor and caliper) are considered "wear" items and are only warranted for the first 12 months or 12,000 miles (whichever comes first).

I just had our '10 Journey SXT front brakes serviced at 48K miles at Firestone. They used Wagner Thermoquiets and turned the rotors. Pads are "lifetime" so the next time they should be "free" though I suspect I'll have to replace the rotors next time around. Since we bought this Journey used (30K on it) I suspect these pads were not the originals and we'll see how long the Wagners last. Took advantage of a online coupon and the brake service was only $89.95 (normally $159+).

Wagner Thermoquiets are good pads. Have them on my '06 Ram 1500 and have 40K on them. Will probably get 60K out of them.