2011 Wiring Harness

LUX MAN

I dont have any codes but i had a hitch installed yesterday. They had to remove the bumper and the harness provided by the dealer plugged right in. However, there was no power to the plug so they called my dealership and they said i have to go in so they can reflash it this week to get the power to the plugs.

IMO they better not charge me any cost to reflash this since i paid for the options already and the power to the plugs should have been activated right away.

Do you mean the little plastic adapter that the 4 pin plug sits into? Mine had to be ordered from the factory and it took around 7-10 days.

Yes thats the one. It should have been here wednesday. The service guy said that the case number you gave him led them to the answer they needed from star. Thanks for that. But still gotta wait to get it done until have that piece. Its just silly. I bought the car on 6/29 and I am still waiting to get this done. Hopefully next week.

Wow - Definitely a long process to get everythign working - But glad that it's finally working... You should probably post the part number that your dealer was finally able to find as I believe there are others that had the same issue as you trying to get a harness.. I know the part number i provided didn't work for the dealers down there :)

Wow - Definitely a long process to get everythign working - But glad that it's finally working... You should probably post the part number that your dealer was finally able to find as I believe there are others that had the same issue as you trying to get a harness.. I know the part number i provided didn't work for the dealers down there :)

Thank you Armendegga for your help. The part number and star case number you gave help facilitate the solution. Glad that is fixed.

Now, the part numbers he used were:

68080976AC Wiring Harness

68026722AA Adapter Plate for 4 Pin to Hitch

The Star case number that was used to determine what codes to update the car's computer was S1108000077

Thank you Armendegga for your help. The part number and star case number you gave help facilitate the solution. Glad that is fixed.

Now, the part numbers he used were:

The Star case number that was used to determine what codes to update the car's computer was S1108000077

Thanks for the details...I will take these in to my dealer, who just yesterday said trailer wiring wouldn't be available for the 2011-12 Journey until February at the earliest.

Depending on their response to this detail, I may be looking into aftermarket wiring...

Thanks for the details...I will take these in to my dealer, who just yesterday said trailer wiring wouldn't be available for the 2011-12 Journey until February at the earliest.

Depending on their response to this detail, I may be looking into aftermarket wiring...

Rebus,

I dont know what is up with Dodge on this Issue. But I have attached a couple of pics of it on my 2011 LUX. Maybe you could show them to your service guy and prove they are available. He should be able to get this in WA. I got it here in TX. Do you want the name and number of the service guy here? Now that he knows what you need.

LUX MAN

post-4061-0-73301500-1317390000_thumb.jp

post-4061-0-23823300-1317390003_thumb.jp

post-4061-0-67707500-1317390005_thumb.jp

Edited by LUX MAN

Update on my Case.

Day 1 Had a hitch installed in a shop. they couldnt get power to the plug. They called the dealer and said it needed a flash.

Day 2: Went to the dealer to get a flash for the accessorie. still no power to the plug.

This morning (Day 3), got the journey in another time so they can check the wirring and fix it since they flashed it and there is still no power, they were pretty quick to blame the bad installation from the shop i had my hitch installed at.. At the end , everying was plugged the right way (it cant be wrong its 1 damn plug). I stayed at the dealer 3 hours so they finally figured out that the harness that came with the vehicule is not the right one (different coding). They ordered the right one (I FUCKIN HOPE SO)

now i have to go back there to have it installed again. damnn this thing.

Edited by whitesxt

Update on my Case.

Day 1 Had a hitch installed in a shop. they couldnt get power to the plug. They called the dealer and said it needed a flash.

Day 2: Went to the dealer to get a flash for the accessorie. still no power to the plug.

This morning (Day 3), got the journey in another time so they can check the wirring and fix it since they flashed it and there is still no power, they were pretty quick to blame the bad installation from the shop i had my hitch installed at.. At the end , everying was plugged the right way (it cant be wrong its 1 damn plug). I stayed at the dealer 3 hours so they finally figured out that the harness that came with the vehicule is not the right one (different coding). They ordered the right one (I FUCKIN HOPE SO)

now i have to go back there to have it installed again. damnn this thing.

I definately feel your pain.

My guy said that they flashed the vehicle via satellite while the car was moving. He said they didnt even need to connect to it. After I told my wife this, she said the other day while driving that the screen flickered and has only happened that one time. (Why don't wives mention these things when they happen?...different topic)

Let me know if you want the name and number for the service guy here.

LUX MAN

Edited by LUX MAN

update, they ordered a new wiring harness and intallted it STILL NO FUCKIN POWER.

nothing wrong with the service on the tech, they are doing an amazing job IMO,

the tech tested all the cabling from the back right up to the damn body control module, (#6 or #5 i dont remember) that control the hardness and well, guess what, seems like that bcm is deffective. Power is sent to the arness but no signal lights flicking.. They ordered and are changing the module in question since all wires from that module to the back end is fine.

way to go dodge, sending a vehicule out with a pretty much DOA control module.

Ive spend more time already at the dealer than i did with my last 3 vehicule. i dont mind getting things fixed on new vehicules because there is always something, but this is gettting so ridiculous lol. the tech called a few times in winsor and they were totally cluless.

you would think that these module would trow codes to the PCM when they fail? i guess not.

Edited by whitesxt

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered a 2012 Crew with tow prep package and I'm having the dealer install the Mopar hitch as soon as my car comes in. Am I going to need the wiring harness discussed in this thread that seems difficult to obtain? My dealer said I "might" need an additional wiring harness, but they don't know for sure. He said they'll order it just in case, but it's backordered. After reading this thread, I'm concerned that the harness may be backordered for a long time. Is the harness the same for 7 way and 4 pin installations or are there 2 different harnesses?

I ordered a 2012 Crew with tow prep package and I'm having the dealer install the Mopar hitch as soon as my car comes in. Am I going to need the wiring harness discussed in this thread that seems difficult to obtain? My dealer said I "might" need an additional wiring harness, but they don't know for sure. He said they'll order it just in case, but it's backordered. After reading this thread, I'm concerned that the harness may be backordered for a long time. Is the harness the same for 7 way and 4 pin installations or are there 2 different harnesses?

There are 2 Harnesses. The 4 Pin is the one that will just plug into the harness at the rear of the car. If you get the tow prep package, it comes with the 4 pin harness and the oil cooler. Of course that is on 2011 models, I am assuming it will be the same. But people who got that, the harness was in the back of the car and not installed, since the actual hitch is a dealer installed part. If it is there, all the dealer has to do is plug it in and install the hitch. Then flash the computer with the correct code to turn that feature on. The part numbers and case cosed for mine are listed above. Hopefully yours will be with the car and you wont have to hassle with the stuff we did.

The 7 Pin harness that they tried to install in mine has wires running all the way to the fuse box under the hood and they couldnt figure out how to hook it up. The 4 pin is a much easier and cleaner install. Plus that is all most people need since this car cant tow anything large enough to need trailer brakes.

LUX MAN

PS I still dont like the idea of a vertical hitch, but I bought a huge cargo carrier and plan on using it to the limit of the hitch (350#) and if the pin fails, I can blame Chrysler for a dumb design

If you get the tow prep package, it comes with the 4 pin harness and the oil cooler. Of course that is on 2011 models, I am assuming it will be the same. But people who got that, the harness was in the back of the car and not installed, since the actual hitch is a dealer installed part. If it is there, all the dealer has to do is plug it in and install the hitch. Then flash the computer with the correct code to turn that feature on. The part numbers and case cosed for mine are listed above. Hopefully yours will be with the car and you wont have to hassle with the stuff we did.

Thanks Lux Man. So is all the hassle that people described only because their cars didn't come with the tow prep package? If my car does come with the 4 pin harness, do you know if it will also come with the little plastic Mopar adapter that's needed to mount the 4 pin plug to the trailer hitch bracket (like in your photo)?

Thanks Lux Man. So is all the hassle that people described only because their cars didn't come with the tow prep package? If my car does come with the 4 pin harness, do you know if it will also come with the little plastic Mopar adapter that's needed to mount the 4 pin plug to the trailer hitch bracket (like in your photo)?

It seems if you get the package you are set, but I dont know about the adapter plate. I bet it does not come with it. Murphys Law ya know.

Since mine did not come with the package, I had to buy it separate. It did not come with the hitch either.

If you need it the number is listed below. It was like 5 bucks. I think it is on MOPAR.com

I would like to hear if you have any trouble. I hope you have smooth sailing.

LUX MAN

Yes. As silly as it sounds it doesn't come with the hitch or harness. It should really come with the hitch IMO

LUX MAN

Yeah, it is pretty silly. I was thinking I would go with the 7 way plug if given the option since it has the spring loaded cap and doesn't require the plastic adapter plate. But it sounds like the car definitely won't come with the right harness for that. I guess I should just order the adapter plate since I'm sure the dealer won't have one. Is there any option for a cap to protect the 4 pin plug?

The harness doesn't come with a cap but I bought a cover at etrailer.com for $1.59. Here is the link for that

http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Tow-Ready/20112.html

I tried to find around town but couldnt find it. It was easier just to order it from them. Quick and great service too

I also bought a vertical hitch adapter from them since you will need one for a vertical hitch

http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Accessories/Curt/C45013.html

I am glad I got rid of that 7 pin harness. Last thing I wanted was for them to start routing around the electrical system under the hood of my new $30k car. The 4 pin just plugs in the back.

LUX MAN

• 1 month later...

Rebus,

I dont know what is up with Dodge on this Issue. But I have attached a couple of pics of it on my 2011 LUX. Maybe you could show them to your service guy and prove they are available. He should be able to get this in WA. I got it here in TX. Do you want the name and number of the service guy here? Now that he knows what you need.

LUX MAN

Is the opening that they cut for your hitch and plug centered?

Edited by pantheman75

Yes it is centered on the hitch and the center of the vehicle. With the plug on the left, it does look lopsided. But then again if they just did the hitch and wireharness, it would look offset to the left. Cant win I guess.

If the wiring plug wasn't there, would the cutout space on both sides of the hitch be equal? I would think it would be if the cutout is centered on the vehicle and the hitch, but the picture looks like the space is bigger on the left to accomodate the plug. Is it even an option to not have the plug on the hitch or is the bracket that holds the plug welded on?