Wet Floor and water in storage bin

Jammie Dodger

I have water getting in from under the car and soaking the floor under the front passenger seat. Carpet is not wet as the foam/sponge under the carpet soaks up the water. It then runs into the floor storage bin behind the pass seat.

Anyone else had this ?

Maybe worth checking your foam under the carpet ?

Its at the dealer for investigations now - will let you know whats found....

Do not be surprised if they are of no help to you with you problem. Read some of the info on this car and how the dealships and Chrsyler Corp. is helping their customers. I hope this is the only problem you have but it almost certainly is just the beginning of a long line of troubles. I hope everyone who reads this stands up and fights for what is right. What this company is doing to the hard working American consumer is not right and should be made to fix their MISTAKES. Good Luck!!!!

I'm finding the bin behind the driver's seat filled with 1-5 inches of water.

The deal has no idea how this is happening.

I spent the entire day waiting for my car - to no avail.

Nothing was resolved. I also have a ticking/revving noise coming from the engine - it's been 3 months, and getting progressively worse. I brought it in in july, and they said it was normal. Now they say it's resolved, and it was caused b/c my oil was low and they did an oil change- it's not resolved.

I have water getting in from under the car and soaking the floor under the front passenger seat. Carpet is not wet as the foam/sponge under the carpet soaks up the water. It then runs into the floor storage bin behind the pass seat.

Anyone else had this ?

Maybe worth checking your foam under the carpet ?

Its at the dealer for investigations now - will let you know whats found....

Hi wejourney,

Sounds like you have the same problem as I had. I found the floor under the front seat was saturated and if the carpet and foam was pulled back I could easily have kept my goldfish in there ! The water was then flowing backwards and filling the storage bins as you described.

The car went into the dealers for 3 days last week and they found the following:

Floor Bungs under front seat loose and allowing water in/out

Sill drain holes blocked. They said it was common if car parked under trees (which I don't actually do)

Cleaned out drains, replaced floor bungs and water tested (through car wash and on wet road test)

I am yet to see if this has worked. We've not had much rain in Wales in the last few days, believe it or not ! It won't be long before the rain returns and gives me a good opportunity to road test myself.

I would advise you insist on a loan car (under warranty) and have the Journey put back into the dealer for as long as it takes to put in right. Have them test it exhaustively before you take in back.

Good luck,

Best Regards,

Jon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone know where the "sill drain holes" are located that they're speaking of so that I can clean mine out? I've got the EXACT same problem. I'd like to try this fix to see if it truly fixes the problem.

I believe by 'sill holes', they refer to the rocker area.

Page 453 of the '09 owners manual reads "It is important that the drain holes in the lower edges of the doors, rocker panels, and cargo area be kept clear and open." <_< Now I find this! I actually noticed them blocked up on the rear driver's side door before. I wiped over them and water POURED out for a good minute. I will make a point now to locate the rocker area and cargo area holes.

I JUST discovered the same issue in my '09 R/T....after dunking my $750 DSLR camera into the water-filled stow-n-go compartment behind the driver's seat. :censored:

Also in that compartment, both bluetooth headsets that go with the entertainment system. :cry:

OK. Two days at the shop and a water test later, the only way they could find that water could be entering is through the opening where the parking brake cable enters the cabin. Evidently there is a grommet in that hole. Mine was popped out for some reason. Odd, considering I rarely need to use my parking brake. Sure seems like a LOT of water though to come through such a small opening in a relatively short amount of time. I'm thinking that the A/C conedensation was making its way in? I'm keeping my eye on it, that's for sure. I won't be stowing anything of value in my 'stow-n-go' containers anymore. :huh:

As for the VES headsets, no questions asked. Even though my Journey is over 36,000 mi, they didn't even blink when replacing both headsets for free. They even kicked in the remote - which I don't need - yet.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Oh man!!! after reading about this I went outside to check and sure enough it is.soaked underneath the carpet underneath my seat and some drainage into the storage compartment. I just bought my.2010 about a week ago used obviously, will contact the dealer I bought it off and see what can be done, I definitely want to fix this problem, hopefully something is resolved .

Just contacted the dealer I had bought my journey from and was told that I come by their shop so the service department can look into it wich is a start. The more I've been thinking about it though brings me to the the condition of the engine when I first got it a week ago it was spotless and shiny as it should be because obviously the vehicle would go through fine detailing just before pick up, so I'm wondering because we haven't had much rain lately if it were possible that the water build up under my seats came from power washing the engine. I kinda hope that's how it got there, I'll keep yous updated on the progress ....

• 3 years later...

I am having the same problem with my 09 rt. i will have to locate all these drain holes you are all talking about. Is there an easy way to find out the location of the drain holes ? Also the ac drainage line.

Read post #10. Also it is in your owners manual.

Edited by jkeaton

• Official Dodge Support

I am having the same problem with my 09 rt. i will have to locate all these drain holes you are all talking about. Is there an easy way to find out the location of the drain holes ? Also the ac drainage line.

kevin bastarache,

Welcome to the forum.

It is good practice to keep the drain holes clear as debris can plug them.

Check your owner's manual as jkeaton mentioned and never hesitate to get your vehicle to your local Dodge dealer if you're unsure on anything.

• 1 year later...

I know this is a old post but maybe some of you are still having this problem like I did. I cleaned all the sill and door holes holes on the cowling and even ran a air nozzle up the ac drain in hopes it was that . same problem this morning over night rain and drivers floor had water in it ..

I noticed while removing the carpet that the previous owner had done the same .

what I found surprised me . to the left of the brake pedal there are two lines cominging through the fire wall. the rear windshield washer hose and a main power cable. the leak was where the main power cable came through the firewall .mnot a very good bushing and had a foam square behind it I guess to help seal...

when I ran a water hose over the windshield a lot of water came from the cowling and ran down the power cable and through the bushing and on to the floor of the car. the cowling really does not keep water out of the engine compartment at all .

I was surprise there was not a drip loop or something to keep the water away ...

poor design for sure . a bit of tuff stuff spray foam in the hole and filled up the foam cover stopped the leak...

ran the water hose over the same spot in the windshield and all seems good to go.

My ac cowling collects leaves. They get trapped in between the outer and inner cowling.

I pop the hood and work the leaves out with a water hose or compressed air. No leaks yet that I know of.

The rear doors tend to collect water. I'd hear a sloshing sound after a wash or rain. I finally got all of the tape out of the drain holes. My Journey took a wizz for several minutes after clearing the plugs..... literally gallons.

no problem with back doors , I checked everything and all the tape was off or had slits cut in them ...my cowling collects leaves too. and dirt .

The rear doors tend to collect water. I'd hear a sloshing sound after a wash or rain. I finally got all of the tape out of the drain holes. My Journey took a wizz for several minutes after clearing the plugs..... literally gallons.

Leave that water in the doors. Makes journey bulletproof.

Thanks for the heads up on the cable grommet in the cowl.I noticed in the rear when I removed the molded cargo floor to hook up my trailer light harness. The bolt holes for the third row seats and seat belts that I don't have in mine. Are just covered with clear tape. On my Journey everything is nice and dry. A few of the Journeys we looked at before buying this one had rust and evidence of water in the jack compartment. When checking mine the spare tire winch has a poor fitting grommet. The spare tire was filled up to the top with gravel and salty road debris that I cleaned out and drilled a couple of drain holes into.

Hank

• 3 years later...