Oil change intervals with synthetic

emars002

We have a 2009 SE purchased with 37,000 miles on it. We wouldl ike to use synthtic - we used castrol syntec in our caravan, The car requires 5W20. If we use synthetic, how often do we change it? the manual states every 6000 miles or 6 months- that seems long enough to me even with synthetic. or does the SE also have this oil change warning I see others posting about?

• 1 month later...

We have a 2009 SE purchased with 37,000 miles on it. We wouldl ike to use synthtic - we used castrol syntec in our caravan, The car requires 5W20. If we use synthetic, how often do we change it? the manual states every 6000 miles or 6 months- that seems long enough to me even with synthetic. or does the SE also have this oil change warning I see others posting about?

I use synthic oil in my journey and have gone 8000 miles before the change oil notice came up on my dash. probably go longer it=f i had just changed filter at 5000. when i bought it, it only went 4500 miles on factory oil before it gave me the notice on my display.

• 2 weeks later...

I use synthic oil in my journey and have gone 8000 miles before the change oil notice came up on my dash. probably go longer it=f i had just changed filter at 5000. when i bought it, it only went 4500 miles on factory oil before it gave me the notice on my display.

My oil change light came on when it only had 4200 km's on it. Will be taking it in for an oil change and get MOBIL1 synchetic in it.

I use synthetic Amsoil oil in mine. I change the oil (based on the oil recommendations) every 10,000 miles. I have never got oil warning light. And yes, the SE does have a oil warning.

• 2 weeks later...

HELLO,INMY OPINION,SYNTHTIC OLD IS 100% BETTER. IF YOU DRIVE,LETS SAY 10 TO 15000 MILES A YEAR,LIKE MY SELF. I SAY CHANGE IT ONCE A YEAR.

YOU CAN ALSO GO ON LINE TO GET MORE INFORMATION ON ANY AND ALL SYNTHIC OLDS.

• 2 weeks later...

I have never heard of blowing a engine because you miss a oil change (on a regular car). I would think if it does come up, you could just say you change your own oil. They could still say prove it, but then you could say prove the problem was caused by a lack of a oil change.

Dilbert had a funny cartoon one time. It basically said they make a product and then give it some high maintenance intervals so they don't have to honor the warranty. They said they were "using the law to fight off justice".

I have never heard of blowing a engine because you miss a oil change (on a regular car). I would think if it does come up, you could just say you change your own oil. They could still say prove it, but then you could say prove the problem was caused by a lack of a oil change.

Dilbert had a funny cartoon one time. It basically said they make a product and then give it some high maintenance intervals so they don't have to honor the warranty. They said they were "using the law to fight off justice".

Well, I am just passing along what I was told. Besides I use synthetic oil and then I take it to the dealer and even with the tire rotation it is still cheaper than if I used their synthetic oil alone. Keep records to cover your butt, then there are no questions.

Well, I am just passing along what I was told. Besides I use synthetic oil and then I take it to the dealer and even with the tire rotation it is still cheaper than if I used their synthetic oil alone. Keep records to cover your butt, then there are no questions.

"cover your butt", definitely! Words to live by....

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

SPeaking of synthetic oil, I got my oil changed and they put in 5w30 castrol systhetic in, while the oil cap sayw 10w30. I asked the dealer and he told me castrol synthetic 5w30 is the same as convetional 10w30. Not sure what is true and hoping to get input. also the dealer says they did not carry 10w 30 .

thanks

zac

Hi guys,

SPeaking of synthetic oil, I got my oil changed and they put in 5w30 castrol systhetic in, while the oil cap sayw 10w30. I asked the dealer and he told me castrol synthetic 5w30 is the same as convetional 10w30. Not sure what is true and hoping to get input. also the dealer says they did not carry 10w 30 .

thanks

zac

Zac,

In actuality it is NOT the same. Will it hurt your Journey....No, will it void your warranty...No, so in that case it is the same.

5W-30 and 10W-30 are pretty close. The starting viscosity of the oil is thinner at start up and warm up, but the fully warmed

engine viscosity is the same. The 5W is thinner than 10W. Basically the difference is like maple syrup at room temp being 10W

and maple syrup that has been heated in a microwave for 30 seconds being 5W.

For MY vehicles I am hesitant to use 5W-20 due to the extreme thin weight of the oil. This is a heavy vehicle and with oil that thin

it may actually burn off more than a qt/ltr in 3000 miles. That is why I won't use it. This is going to be my wife's daily driver and she

does NOT check the oil or the tires or the window washer fluid. If it drives and starts, All is good.

• 4 months later...

Hi guys,

thanks

zac

Zac........I would not worry about using 5w30 in our climate. I always change to 5w30 for the winter anyway. With our temperatures as low as -30 to -40 in winter the 5w30 gives you better cold starting and once it is warmed up then you have the protection and lubrication of the 30w.