Bad Noise Coming From Engine

seanton

It's sounded like this for a while. May just be getting old (11 years old now). I've attached a recording of what it sounds like. Seems to be coming from the top, maybe a bit to the left. Its very loud even from inside the cabin. Any idea what this could be? In the clip I've attached it's especially noticeable towards the end.

Thank you,

Sean

sean-journey.mp3

How many miles on engine? Are there any  engine codes, check even if no light on.  The  2.4 is not the quietest  engine even when healthy, my daughter in law has had one since new and over maintained with dealer oil changes etc. It seems a little noisy too.

They timing chain and top end always seem more noisy than other cars. I think the main noise could the chain and tensioner getting worn, but you would be getting various  engine codes if it needed changing immediately. Like cam sensor codes that don’t go away with new parts.

There may be a knock mixed into the noise that could be water pump if you haven’t changed it yet. Usually you need an  engine stethoscope to isolate the sound. Or run engine with no serpentine belt for 30 seconds and listen for sound change. There is a weap hole on the pump that usually starts to drip when bearing seal starts to go.

55 minutes ago, John/Horace said:

How many miles on engine? Are there any  engine codes, check even if no light on.  The  2.4 is not the quietest  engine even when healthy, my daughter in law has had one since new and over maintained with dealer oil changes etc. It seems a little noisy too.

They timing chain and top end always seem more noisy than other cars. I think the main noise could the chain and tensioner getting worn, but you would be getting various  engine codes if it needed changing immediately. Like cam sensor codes that don’t go away with new parts.

There may be a knock mixed into the noise that could be water pump if you haven’t changed it yet. Usually you need an  engine stethoscope to isolate the sound. Or run engine with no serpentine belt for 30 seconds and listen for sound change. There is a weap hole on the pump that usually starts to drip when bearing seal starts to go.

230,000 km, the only code is p2006 (intake runner control valve)

Water pump hasn't been changed yet so I'll have a look. I've already used a stethoscope and couldn't isolate it to any location in particular.

The code is for the intake solenoid in this link, or the wiring leading to it. Usually makes car run rough and maybe stall; it’s probably not the main cause for the recorded noise. Not a timing chain related item. 

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/dodge,2009,journey,2.4l+l4,1444145,engine,intake+manifold+runner+control+valve+/+solenoid,10776

It didn’t suddenly get a lot noisier in the last little while, it was gradual? Noisy high milage engine that leaks a bit. I usually go to a thicker oil like 5w30 or10w30 to quiet things down a little on this type of engine.

Valve  lifters and or timing chain are expensive repairs. Long term used engine from auto recycler like LKQ probably cheapest option.

11 yrs old and also fairly high mileage as well like john said nurse it along go to a thicker oil and save some $$ and keep an eye out for a low mileage engine like he said from lkq or scrappers in your area just be careful who you buy from or run it till it pukes and then scrap it depends on what you want to do , I wouldn't put a  lot of money into something this old unless i really wanted to keep it.good luck