2late4u

well i really messed up this time

thought id put this out there for everyone who thinks they are invincible or it wont happen to me....on july 2 while helping my step son remodel his bathroom we had to gut it and remove the floor to replace some floor joist had that all done and was getting ready to put down the sub floor had to add one more nailing joist and while Joey was cutting the wood for the floor i went in to nail in the piece of wood and just as i was ready to do it i thought oh i need my gloves to be safe and turned to get them in the other room and was stepping on the joist with my left foot and it slipped and i fell down straddling the joist and my right knee hit the joist on the way down. well long story short after the trip to the ER  the official dig is a       closed displaced transverse fracture of the right patella  with damaged ligaments....in layman's term i broke the knee cap horizontally and tore the ligaments in half....this about as bad as it can get having surgery tomorrow and they say i will be in a cast from the cackle to hip for 4-6 weeks and then lots of painful rehab for the probally 3-6 months and then probably have to have surgery again to remove the wires the wrap around the knee cap and then more rehab. should make almost full recovery but they say probally never regain full strength to that leg and or knee with more possible problems with other stuff down the line....being diabetic 2 and 66 yrs old doesn't help...................BE CAREFUL OUT THERE

Hang in there...  I'm just getting over an avulsion fracture at the acl and 2 tibial plateau fractures in the right knee joint.  Expect massive leg atrophy after your leg is out of the cast.  You're going to need PT!  I've been in PT for almost a year now 2 times per week.  PT is the only way...   Its like voluntary torture.  Be strong.  Don't quit.  You can get through any injury with a lot of work.  Best of luck to you sir.

Peace. 

Also, don't get discouraged if you need more than a year of PT.  Work hard.  PT will probably help your DM2 as well.   I feel you.  

Peace. 

thanks redtomatoman  ya iv already found a good blog on Facebook with everyone of the members have had some sort of knee injury, have been hearing some scary stories and some real encouraging ones. i always been a positive attitude person all my life, never been one to whine why me,but have to admit i have been thinking this whole week man if i had done something different or why me as i am the main person to help take care of the wife's back and hip problems and about 2 yrs ago she had total knee replacement that didnt go very good,so we are in kid of a bad predicament but the kids have been kicking in pretty good,as always they have their own lives and jobs. but ill toughen up and i am determined to beat this setback and get well, at 66 yrs old ( me) my dad was still outworking me till he turned about 80 he started slowing down but kept going till he was 82  he was a real workhorse... but EVERYBODY protect them knees as this a lot worse than a broken leg 

I see that you're starting out with the right attitude.   That's good.   Its takes a lot of work,  but I'm back on my bike and hoping to have a successful go at surfing in late August.  You just need to keep after it...

Peace.

Dang man......get better soon. I had a complete ankle replacement last November. Still recovering. Take your time and don't rush recovery. 

Hope the surgery goes (has gone) well.

When the PT time comes you will likely get that rush of "they are all looking at the old weakling" feeling. Take a deep breath, suck it up, and do everything they tell you to do. They are professionals and they will see you from that standpoint. You're hurt and they are there because helping you is what they have chosen to do.

Good luck and keep on

Image result for keep on truckin

Edited by Summer Solstice