quick oil change shop

2late4u

well my last oil change it was cold and miserably out so for the first time i went to the local Havoline oil change place and had the oil and filter changed, made sure they had the right filter and was done in just a few minutes, well I just did the next oil change myself and dam did they ever bugger up the oil plug nut, I had to use a big pair of vice grips and got it to come off, so i walk to the Orilleys auto store and picked up a doorman oil plug with a plastic washer that says needs to be replaced with ever oil change. well I got the journey going again and will pick up a better oil plug from the dealership next week. first time i ever use a quick change oil place and the last  ....LOL  on a side note i removed the plastic covering below the windshield to remove all the leaves that were there from last fall, not to bad, about 6 push pin rivets and the one on each side of the cowling that looks like a Phillips screw didnt want to unscrew and i was able to just pop them out and then was able to pop them back in again after cleaning all the leaves out.....

• 2 months later...

The local Jiffy Lube forgot to tighten the oil drain nut on a guys truck, he lost all his oil on the highway.  I came by just after that and we looked for the nut, never found it. He called a tow truck to pick his truck up. Some time later I met the guy in a store in town and asked him about it. He said, they told him they don't loosen the nut to drain out the oil. They pumped it out of the engine.  Think thats BS, they didn't stand behind their work, offered him a free oil chance. He got stuck for the towing.   

Moral of the story, don't drive off before getting down and taking a look at your drain nut. I've used a quick change place for my work truck and never had an issue, but I do watch what they are doing (maybe just been lucky). I know it sucks when these guys screw up, but I've also forgotten to replace something when doing my own repairs :hammer_self:

Undo and redo...ugh!

A co-worker of mine had his tires changed to brand new tires at the local Walmart.  He drove about a quarter of a mile and two of his wheels came off his truck.  Not one single nut was tightened on all 4 of the tires.  He went nuclear when he went back to Walmart (compliments of a tow truck).  The manager of the store went down to the auto dept. and he gave him a full refund for all the tires and let him keep them.  You get what you pay for any time you have people working for minimum wage.  They are not mechanics, just employees who often F up.  And most of the time, they don't care.  The manager fired the employee on the spot.  

I always change my own oil.  Cheaper, and I know it is done right.  

mechanical-idiot

I have heard direct horror stories of oil plugs not tightened and having come out. My own experience with the questionable (ie: fraudulent) upsell led me to avoid our quick change places.

My wife used the local dealer for a while and then transferred to a trusted mechanic. I use a dealership for my Journey. The cost, over a year's time, is not that much more but having it done right, including the additional free inspection, is worth it to me. My days of wrenching are mostly over, by choice.

1 hour ago, Summer Solstice said:

I have heard direct horror stories of oil plugs not tightened and having come out. My own experience with the questionable (ie: fraudulent) upsell led me to avoid our quick change places.

My wife used the local dealer for a while and then transferred to a trusted mechanic. I use a dealership for my Journey. The cost, over a year's time, is not that much more but having it done right, including the additional free inspection, is worth it to me. My days of wrenching are mostly over, by choice.

my daughter uses the local dodge dealership to service her jeep ( she uses on her postal route) and after one of the oil changes the next morning she seen a good size oil spot on her concrete drive so she checked her oil with the dip stick and it was down but still registering on the stick so she took it back and the dealership re_did her oil service and gave her a free one for the next service so not even the dealerships are fool proof, i asked her what did they do wrong and she said i dont know but they got it right...lol i just shook my head   so i have no idea if it was the plug or filter as it was on her 2.4.....