2011DodgeRamJourney

CEL....no code reader

I got a CEL light in  -26 degrees weather

Went away when temp went to -10 C.

engine has been running "throatier" at idle (does not show when you step on gas) for sometime.

I wonder will some sort of sensor do this? I dont want to go get code read and spend $$$...

You can buy code readers for less than $20 these days. Or, drop by an auto parts store and they can read it for you. Yes, it's a sensor causing it and you need to know the code to know what sensor it is. 

It doesn’t cost to have the code read at most auto parts stores, if that’s what you meant.  

If if you meant you didn’t want the code read because you don’t want to spend money to fix it, then ignore it, have the car crap out, then complain about how Dodge sucks.

Cars cost money to keep running, fact of owning one.

Is it possible to get  the codes with out a reader. My 2014 ram van still allows the key dance method.

Hank

46 minutes ago, OhareFred said:

For the DJ..gotta have a code reader

Which is utterly stupid, considering we have a computer display right in front of us.

I second the "go to any auto DIY shop, or buy a code reader on Amazon" sentiment.

On 1/23/2019 at 3:39 PM, OhareFred said:

It doesn’t cost to have the code read at most auto parts stores, if that’s what you meant.  

If if you meant you didn’t want the code read because you don’t want to spend money to fix it, then ignore it, have the car crap out, then complain about how Dodge sucks.

Cars cost money to keep running, fact of owning one.

I want to get it fixed and will, I just wondered if I could get the code read for free lolz.

The light is now off which is odd to me, cause the exhaust noise is still there. A little throatier at idle and does not increase with throttle. the whole thing is just odd

The code is still stored even if the light goes out by itself. As stated, take it to an auto parts store and get the code. Then you will know what needs to be fixed.

Edited by jkeaton

turns out it was an "exhaust related code'. that exhaust pipe just behind the bumper had its bolts rusted right off and was allowing some fumes to escape, triggering the code. A couple new bolts and boom. quiet truck again. Anyone else had this happen?

Never heard of an "exhaust code" related to an exhaust leak at the rear of the vehicle. What was the exact code? Also, bolts do rust over time. 

It was not at the rear. at the front. he found the issue, didnt tell me what the code was but he know before looking at the code