jmferdin

New Owner - Compass/Navigation Question

I just purchased a new to me 2014 Dodge Journey R/T. It has the 8.4 screen with NAV.  I have two questions.

First, i do not see Compass on the EVIC. I read somewhere about flashing or disconnecting battery for 30 minutes or more. Is this the recommended troubleshooting steps or something else to do?

Second, when i go to Navigation, it never finds my location. Do I need a subscription for that?

Sounds like there is some malfunction of the GPS system.  I'd have the selling dealer check this for you.  There are magnetic location settings for the compass.   I'm not sure if there is an EVIC display setting for the compass.  Did you get a manual?

Peace. 

Mine shows on top left of Evic and on nav button on 8.4. No subscription needed. Plays dvds on the 8.4 too!20180226_070345.thumb.jpg.46afe3df79cfaccd6fd072a731300516.jpg

20180313_072446.jpg

Edited by 14WhiteRTRallye

Yeah I dont have that on the EVIC.

Anything special  you had to do to play DVD on the 8.4 screen?

1 hour ago, jmferdin said:

Yeah I dont have that on the EVIC.

Anything special  you had to do to play DVD on the 8.4 screen?

Yes.  Put the vehicle in park.

4 hours ago, redtomatoman said:

. . . . .  There are magnetic location settings for the compass. . . . .

With the Nav there are no compass settings.  Heading is derived from the GPS

2 hours ago, bramfrank said:

With the Nav there are no compass settings.  Heading is derived from the GPS

Maybe this is true.  My 2011 RB5 with Nav has these settings, and while I cannot absolutely prove dysfunction,  the compass in my vehicle has been erroneous when the setting was not as described in the manual.  Dunno.  There is also a calibration procedure outlined in my manual.  My compass seems to be accurate when I am not driving.   The OP may have a GPS problem that is affecting the compass.  I did not see any display settings for the EVIC concerning the compass display in my manual.  If I were in the same situation as the OP, I would begin by having the GPS and compass systems checked.  

As far as the DVD chatter in this thread, playing a DVD in the front row while driving is simply silly and should not be done. 

Peace. 

23 hours ago, 14WhiteRTRallye said:

Dvd works in drive too. But picture turns off when you start moving. The dvd keeps playing sound when moving.

So you will keep your eyes on the road instead of watching a movie.