Sign in to follow this  
ARHoosier

Tail gate wire harness

I've got a 2012 SXT and the tailgate harness is shot.  I haven't had a rear wiper working in quite awhile, the inside light on the gate doesn't work and the left marker light isn't working either.  Today I opened up the harness boot and I've got 8 wires that are broken.  I'm a retired Air Force Aircraft Electrician and can fix this but what's got me concerned is the rear defrost circuit.  One of the wires is a larger diameter and I'm not sure I want to get into that spaghetti.  My question is not really how to fix it, it's how much am I looking at in a new harness and how much is a dealer going to charge me to replace it.  Car has 98K miles on it, paid for and looking at passing in on to my oldest child to drive.   

your best bet would be to call a dealership and find out

I think if you repair what's there correctly (solder, shrink tubing,  no quick connects) you’ll end up with something better then the factory. Protect the  wires inside the rubber boot and your all set.  Replacing with the exact same wire loom (hasn’t been updated as far as I know) will result in the same thing occurring.  I’d fix what’s there, just use the same size wiring.

Hmmmm . . . . I wonder if filling the boot with yellow 77 (wire pulling lubricant) wouldn't mitigate the problem?

I am willing to try it, not that it would prove anything.

That would dry out, wouldn’t it?  What about a small hit of expanding foam? Maybe the stuff used around windows and doors.  Would encase the  wires and could be trimmed if necessary.  Might be more trouble then it’s worth.....

16 hours ago, OhareFred said:

That would dry out, wouldn’t it?  What about a small hit of expanding foam? Maybe the stuff used around windows and doors.  Would encase the  wires and could be trimmed if necessary.  Might be more trouble then it’s worth.....

It might, over time I suppose.

Perhaps just lubricating it with silicone, or even grease?