My wife and I currently have a 2014 Journey SXT AWD. It has just over 104k miles on it so it is out of warranty and the check engine light came on and the engine started ticking. We took it and the code ran. It came back saying there was a problem with the second cylinder on the left side (sorry I do not remember the exact code). We spoke with a friend of ours that is mechanic and he said that it is a known problem for the 3.6L Pentastar and that he had the same problem with his Chrysler Town & Country. He said that Dodge repaired his van free of charge and that we should reach out to Dodge and see if they would do "good faith" warranty repair since we are out of warranty and it is a known problem for previous model years. We did that and Dodge told us that it was not their problem since there were no active recalls for it and the 2014 model wasn't affected in the previous model year problems. So my question is this, is anyone else here experiencing the same engine ticking problem with a 2014 or newer model year?

Take it to a different dealer.  If it is the P0302 code, Chrysler has extended its engine warranty on the left side cylinder head to 10 years or 150,000 miles.  They know about this problem and they should fix it.  I had mine done at no cost.  I have not heard that there is a model year specification,  If another dealer does not fix it, call Chrysler.   The exact code will be important if you have to elevate to Chrysler.  Good luck.

Peace.

Is your vehicle a 2014? That was the code when we plugged into a OBD II code reader. When we spoke to Dodge directly last week they informed us that the 2014 Model year was not covered under the warranty extension and that it stopped with the 2013 model year. What is frustrating about it is that they know it is a problem across all model lines that use that engine but refuse to accept that they did not truly fix the problem and that it is continuing past the 2013 model year... 

As a design defect Dodge doesn't get to decide what years the repair applies to. 

They can try to deny coverage, and many, if not most people will go away, but if you can demonstrate that it is the same problem (which is a latent defect) and that they've provided an extended warranty to cover the previous model year a small claims court judge will almost certainly award you reimbursement for the money you will have spent.

You can try reaching out to your states consumer protection office as well.

You have the option of doing nothing.   I have heard of this engine light disappearing.  That would not allow me to sleep though.   I think you should take it to another dealer, if you have not done so already.   It seems to me that you have to get it fixed and then go after Chrysler if they don't cover it.  If they don't cover it, that's crap.  I agree with bram, they are probably just testing your resolve.  Best of luck to you, sir.  

Peace.

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 10:14 PM, redtomatoman said:

Journeyman to the rescue.  Hopefully. . .  If anyone can help, you can.  Great to see you on the forum.   

Peace.

Sorry I've been so scarce...life's been busy. All good for the most part, but serious limitations on my Forum time. 

• 7 months later...
On 9/23/2017 at 5:46 AM, 14Journeysxt said:

My wife and I currently have a 2014 Journey SXT AWD. It has just over 104k miles on it so it is out of warranty and the check engine light came on and the engine started ticking. We took it and the code ran. It came back saying there was a problem with the second cylinder on the left side (sorry I do not remember the exact code). We spoke with a friend of ours that is mechanic and he said that it is a known problem for the 3.6L Pentastar and that he had the same problem with his Chrysler Town & Country. He said that Dodge repaired his van free of charge and that we should reach out to Dodge and see if they would do "good faith" warranty repair since we are out of warranty and it is a known problem for previous model years. We did that and Dodge told us that it was not their problem since there were no active recalls for it and the 2014 model wasn't affected in the previous model year problems. So my question is this, is anyone else here experiencing the same engine ticking problem with a 2014 or newer model year?

I have a 2014 Dodge Journey SXT all-wheel drive and the engine light came on. I purchased a code reader FIXD and it came back with a code showing that I needed the oil pressure sensor unit replaced. I called the Dodge dealer and they quoted me $560 to repair it. I went on YouTube and found the site that shows how to replace that sensor. The Dodge dealer was going to charge me for removing the intake manifold which was it necessary. I went out and purchased the part and replaced it. Granted you have to have the right tools to do this and I happen to have them. I have the codes cleared and my rig is back up and running for less than $60. Buy in this code reader was well worth the money that I paid for it.

My 2012 AWD developed a ticking/knocking at 185K/km and I assumed the engine was dead.  I was so upset I parked it 6 months ago and been driving my van ever since.

Is it possible my model is affected by this warranty?  I miss driving my R/T

1 hour ago, AstralRT said:

My 2012 AWD developed a ticking/knocking at 185K/km and I assumed the engine was dead.  I was so upset I parked it 6 months ago and been driving my van ever since.

Is it possible my model is affected by this warranty?  I miss driving my R/T

Check with your dealer. 

I don't really have a good relation with my dealer.  They've done a few shady things and didn't quite hold up to their word.
Is there a way to check this with my VIN without having to go to my dealer until I know for sure I'm covered?
I don't trust them to tell me the truth.

8 hours ago, AstralRT said:

I don't really have a good relation with my dealer.  They've done a few shady things and didn't quite hold up to their word.
Is there a way to check this with my VIN without having to go to my dealer until I know for sure I'm covered?

Well, if you read what the thread has to say you will discover that it apparently covers vehicles up to some point past the start of the 2013 model year and that if yours was newer that that you could probably make a case (if not to FCA, then to a small claims court judge) that it be covered.

Why you would park a vehicle without getting a diagnosis is beyond me, but assuming you can even start the vehicle after leaving it sit for 6 months, and assuming that the code hasn't cleared from the ECU because you let the battery go flat, the first thing to do is to read the code.

See what Redtomatoman wrote above and then do it.  you can read the code yourself, you can ask a garage or a buddy with a reader to extract the code or, you can go to the dealer and pay them a few bucks for the diagnostic.

Once you've determined that it is the appropriate code or not you can make a decision as to what the next step is;  At the very least you are likely going to have to buy a new battery and replace a bunch of fluids if you plan to put the vehicle back on the road.

On 5/8/2018 at 10:42 PM, AstralRT said:

You need to find another dealer then.  

Go to Mopar.com, to the owners page, make an account and put in your vin.  You will then have access to see what dealer repairs were made, what warranty you have, etc.    very useful when you deal with a crappy dealer.  It will also help you find the closest dealers....pick a new one.

Good luck!

On 5/10/2018 at 9:26 AM, OhareFred said:

Go to Mopar.com, to the owners page, make an account and put in your vin.  You will then have access to see what dealer repairs were made, what warranty you have, etc.    very useful when you deal with a crappy dealer.  It will also help you find the closest dealers....pick a new one.

Good luck!

Does this work for Canada too?  When I try the US one to register the link I am emailed fails saying my registration is invalid or expired even though its only been 2 minutes.
Trying the open to register for Canada website instructs me to register for SiriusXM Guardian from my UConnect.  I don't have that, is there a software update I'm missing?
I haven't updated anything since I purchased in 2012.

Without creating an account I went to https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehicle/recalls/search.html and after entering my VIN the TSB doesn't show up.

I'm wondering if more information appears if you actually have an account?

I do think I'm out of luck though, the knocking seems more on the passenger side and the engine light isn't on, even after letting it idle for an hour.

When I get my failing lug nut off so I can change off the flat tire I'll take it for a small drive to see if it triggers anything.  If not I'll start shopping for a new engine because the knock sounds pretty bad to me.

VID_20180512_185459.mp4

A TSB is NOT a recall.

Recalls are mandatory repairs to be made by the dealer atno coast to you

TSB are Technical Service Bulletins that refer to a common complaint.  These repairs are only made if you complain, are not free unless you are under warranty.

A TSB will not show up under a recall list

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally had time and called FCA Canada Customer Care to confirm the details on TSB 09-002-14

In Canada the warranty is extended to 120 months (10 years) and 240,000 km (Approx. 150,000 miles) and the fix will be done by the dealership under X56 Warranty Extension.

I was concerned they would limit Canada to 150,000 km as companies like to do with other warranty mileage when comparing USA to Canada.  I was pleased to see they did the right thing here.  I have requested a service appointment from a local dealership and hopefully fix my engine troubles.

TSB details in attached PDF

TSB_LC_0900214.pdf