Not downshifting at highway speeds

2011Journey

I've searched through the forums and can't find a definitive answer so hopefully someone can give some insight. Here's the problem. We have a 2011 Journey that is incredibly slow to downshift at highway speeds. This only happens after we've been driving for a long time. Over an hour but normally the problem doesn't start until closer to 3 hours of continuous driving. It only happens at highway speeds (over 50 mph) and shifts fine from complete stop all they way to highway speeds. But when you need to accelerate to pass or go up a hill it either will not downshift at all or will hesitate around 10 seconds or more before downshifting - with a very hard jolting whiplash effect if it ever does downshift. Short trips - the problem never presents itself.  I've read about the possible firmware/software update for hard shifting. Not sure this is the right fix as it doesn't do it all the time. I also read one forum post where the fuel pump was causing similar issues. But again, this isn't something that is always happening. Only after hours of continuous driving. I also read one forum post where the solenoid pack could be the culprit. But could the solenoid work fine for the first hour or so of driving and then start to malfunction? This car is pretty consistent with it's malfunction. Drive it for short periods of time and it's fine. Drive it for several hours and it starts throwing a fit and continues to be plagued with the problem until you park it for the evening. Next morning it's fine again unless you pass that magic time limit. The dealer said it's the oil pump. I quickly dismissed this as it's not having any oil pressure issues. Any ideas?

So I've had this problem, but not on my DJ. On my Explorer I had a vacuum leak that did not allow out to downshift in a timely manner. Ultimately out was an $11 fix after being told I needed a transmission rebuild. On Dodge products I've seen this issue with a bad solenoid, a vacuum leak, and a computer issue. I would start with the cheaper fix and work my way up. Or bring it into a reputable transmission shop to get it diagnosed.

Sorry for no solution, but transmissions have many working parts. Out of curiosity, did you check the fluid temp when it starts acting up?

16 hours ago, Armando G said:

So I've had this problem, but not on my DJ. On my Explorer I had a vacuum leak that did not allow out to downshift in a timely manner. Ultimately out was an $11 fix after being told I needed a transmission rebuild. On Dodge products I've seen this issue with a bad solenoid, a vacuum leak, and a computer issue. I would start with the cheaper fix and work my way up. Or bring it into a reputable transmission shop to get it diagnosed.

Sorry for no solution, but transmissions have many working parts. Out of curiosity, did you check the fluid temp when it starts acting up?

Thanks for the response! No, I haven't checked the trans fluid temp when it starts acting up. Not sure how to check the trans fluid temp.