2016 RT AWD brake thickness

Hi all,

Ive been experiencing some pulsating while braking recently in my 2016 RT AWD (65000 miles) and decided to go have my local shop take a look. They told me fronts were 8/32 and rear were 6/32. Does anyone know the thickness of the brand new OEM pads? This seems like basically no wear on the pads for 65k miles to me

the pulsating would be from your rotors, should have them turned to correct the problem the pads are ceramic and are tough on rotors... good luck   P.S. 65 k on a 2016 is a lot no wonder you are feeling a little pulsation  

Edited by 2late4u

They said the rotors didn't look bad, but I was just amazed at the amount of pad left when he told me the measurements. Pads seem to be wearing evenly and I can deal with a little pulsation for a while. Still no problems braking I just thought it would be getting close to the pads being no good by now. And yes, 65k is a lot. I drive a little under 1k miles per week for work (a bit less in the summer).

My own personal feeling, considering you drive that much per week, is to get the rotors turned or replaced. With past experience, once they start vibrating, it can (and will) just get worse. Scary thing coming down a hill with vibrating brakes that don't slow you down. For the sake of your own safety, get them done.

i havent priced our journey rotors but i know on my older caravans it wasn't that much more to buy new from advance auto than it was to turn them and that way you always had new thicker rotors that way...also they can ruin your rotors if they try to take off too much to save time...

Basic rotors and pads package are about $200, performance package is about $350. Not a bad price if you can do the labor yourself (which I do). I was pricing them out when I started to hear some squeaking on mine...turned out to be a bad dust build up.

Cheap cost for peace of mind.

• 2 months later...

i just checked my front and rear pads on 2014 crossroad have about 1/4 inch thickness on the pads front and rear with around 67 k on them i did a lot of traveling the first 2 yrs and live in a small town so not a lot of stop and go. so i will check them again about 75k and might change them then just to be on the safe side i dont believe in trying to wear them down to the nub before replacing them,as you might go too long and ruin a rotor...

• 3 weeks later...

There is a problem with the rotor material on the Journeys. The rotors are prone to warping. Cheap steel is usually the reason. I have 20,000 and when the brakes get hot they pulsate. Usually happens on the highway with 70 MPH speeds in traffic. I changed my 13" front rotors and pads out with EBC rotors and pads. My original pads had about 5/16 material left and wore real nice and even but I hated the pulsing. The EBC can be found on sale and are a step up from OEM and Sure Stop. Just my .02.

1 hour ago, Johnnyh said:

There is a problem with the rotor material on the Journeys. The rotors are prone to warping. Cheap steel is usually the reason. I have 20,000 and when the brakes get hot they pulsate. Usually happens on the highway with 70 MPH speeds in traffic. I changed my 13" front rotors and pads out with EBC rotors and pads. My original pads had about 5/16 material left and wore real nice and even but I hated the pulsing. The EBC can be found on sale and are a step up from OEM and Sure Stop. Just my .02.

do yu happen to have a part # to which pads/rotors you used?  also do you have their calipers too??  i think some red calipers would look nice on my dark grey journey lol