Installing Backup Camera

Hi I have a 2011 Dodge Journey 3.6L.

I tried installing a backup camera triggered to the reverse lights but it doesn't work. Checking the voltage at no load (Camera and Reverse light Disconnected) I get about ~12.3 V. However when adding the Camera only the voltage drops to ~11.8 V. Adding the reverse light back to the picture, voltage drops again. Reverse light still works but backup camera doesn't work. 

I use to have a 2009 Dodge Journey and I've installed a backup camera before and had no issues.

I could add a relay and tap into some other power but I need to know what else I can tap into nearby. Not sure why I'm getting a low voltage reading, can anyone chime in?

18 hours ago, LKMS said:

Hi I have a 2011 Dodge Journey 3.6L.

I tried installing a backup camera triggered to the reverse lights but it doesn't work. Checking the voltage at no load (Camera and Reverse light Disconnected) I get about ~12.3 V. However when adding the Camera only the voltage drops to ~11.8 V. Adding the reverse light back to the picture, voltage drops again. Reverse light still works but backup camera doesn't work. 

I use to have a 2009 Dodge Journey and I've installed a backup camera before and had no issues.

I could add a relay and tap into some other power but I need to know what else I can tap into nearby. Not sure why I'm getting a low voltage reading, can anyone chime in?

Assuming you have the 8.4 U-connect and are trying to use that screen you have to get it activated from the dealer so give them a call depending where you live they will charge you one hour labor service even though its a 10-15 min activation process.

LKMS...I guess the question is, have you had it flashed by the dealer in order for the camera to work? From reading all of the posts, you can't just add the camera and expect it to work. You need to go to the dealer and have the car flashed in order to activate (or add) that option specifically to your VIN. I'm curious if you installed an aftermarket camera or the factory camera? Did you have to wire the camera, or did you have the pre-installed wiring? I researched adding the camera to mine, but it seems like a big hassle and expense.

Not sure how to edit my original post but I'm not trying to add it into my existing uconnect system. I'm trying to add it to an aftermarket rear-view mirror camera. 

I think my only option is to add a relay and tap into the cigarette lighter socket in the trunk.

So I ended up just going through the relay route. 

4 Pin Relay

30 - Trunk Cigarette Lighter with an inline fuse

86 - Reverse Light

87 - Backup Camera

85 - Ground

Took off the entire trunk lining and routed the wiring through the firewall. 

Bought this: https://www.amazon.ca/Waterproof-4-3inch-Tft-lcd-Rearview-Assembly/dp/B0154GTSYI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1503946415&sr=8-1&keywords=backup+camera+mirror

Fits well. You lose out on auto dimming unfortunately. 

Edited by LKMS

• 3 months later...