Replacing Ball Joint

Has anybody here had luck changing lower ball joints? I had tried to change one a few months back but the press I borrowed didn't seem to fit so I gave up. I'm heading on a road trip soon so I want to get this done asap.

The only videos I've seen that could help are for Avengers and they all seem to either smack it out with a sledge hammer.

Thanks

14 hours ago, seanton said:

Out of curiosity, were you changing it just because...our are you having issues? My auto parts store around here let's you rent or borrow specialty tools like a press. Ever try that? They can help you make sure you have the right size for what you are doing.

Good luck and post pictures if you do get it done.

Another question for my curiosity, Dodge not having the ball joint nipples to add grease to them. Has anyone used that small needle on their grease gun end to penetrate the rubber jacket and force grease into it ?  I know you may have some leaking ( a little afterwards) but at least you are keeping them well greased now. 

Edited by probak118

17 hours ago, probak118 said:

Another question for my curiosity, Dodge not having the ball joint nipples to add grease to them. Has anyone used that small needle on their grease gun end to penetrate the rubber jacket and force grease into it ?  I know you may have some leaking ( a little afterwards) but at least you are keeping them well greased now. 

Have not done it on my Journey but did try it on another previous truck. Was even advised to put a touch of sealant when done. Result...ended up replacing it shortly there-after.

• 2 weeks later...

I changed it because the wheel was rattling and there was a bit of shaking while driving.

I successfully did the job a few weeks ago, here are some tips if anybody else ever comes across this, I attached the service manual to this post, just follow it and look at my notes.

-I rented the ball joint removal press, an adapter set and the pickle fork from Canadian Tire. The ball joint press doesn't fit perfectly because of how the knuckle is shaped but using the adapters you can get it off/on

-You don't need to remove the speed sensor like the manual says, it won't really get in the way. Mine was kinda stuck so I left it in.

-Release of the lower ball joint from the lower control arm was done with a pickle fork (and not the special Dodge remover tool).

-I was able to use the press to put the joint back in about halfway, then I had to smack the bottom of one of those cylinders from the kit with a hammer to get it in the rest of the way.

ball-joint.pdf

• 2 years later...
On 01/09/2017 at 10:16 AM, seanton said:

I changed it because the wheel was rattling and there was a bit of shaking while driving.

I successfully did the job a few weeks ago, here are some tips if anybody else ever comes across this, I attached the service manual to this post, just follow it and look at my notes.

-I rented the ball joint removal press, an adapter set and the pickle fork from Canadian Tire. The ball joint press doesn't fit perfectly because of how the knuckle is shaped but using the adapters you can get it off/on

-You don't need to remove the speed sensor like the manual says, it won't really get in the way. Mine was kinda stuck so I left it in.

-Release of the lower ball joint from the lower control arm was done with a pickle fork (and not the special Dodge remover tool).

-I was able to use the press to put the joint back in about halfway, then I had to smack the bottom of one of those cylinders from the kit with a hammer to get it in the rest of the way.

ball-joint.pdf

Did you remove the entire knuckle !? I need to replace both ball joint and I don't want to if not needed since the only place to put the press is in the knuckle opening maybe the axle is in the way !? Since you said you didn't remove the speed sensor ..... ;)

• 1 month later...