Alternator broke at low mileage

Its a machine, and machines break.  A part can break after 100 miles, or last the life of the car.  My 09 still has its original  alternator at 80,000 miles.  My  battery lasted 3 years, the one in my wifes car lasted 10.  Its all a crap shoot. 

I have not heard of excessive  alternator failures , you just got lucky.

1 hour ago, OhareFred said:

Its a machine, and machines break.  A part can break after 100 miles, or last the life of the car.  My 09 still has its original  alternator at 80,000 miles.  My  battery lasted 3 years, the one in my wifes car lasted 10.  Its all a crap shoot. 

I have not heard of excessive  alternator failures , you just got lucky.

well at least it was covered under warranty or should have been...

The alternator on our 09 went out at about 60,000. It didn't actually quit working, just started making a loud whining noise (probably bearings going out). Replaced under extended warranty luckily since the replacement was going to cost over $400. As Fred says, things break.

$800 for an alternator at 30,000 miles? That's highway robbery!  You can get an alternator on the 2.4L and 3.6L for under $250 new. Not sure about the ease of the 3.6, but the 2.4 is right top and front of the engine. No way should labor be $500 (that's 4 hours shop time around here...)

9 hours ago, bfurth said:

$800 for an alternator at 30,000 miles? That's highway robbery!  You can get an alternator on the 2.4L and 3.6L for under $250 new. Not sure about the ease of the 3.6, but the 2.4 is right top and front of the engine. No way should labor be $500 (that's 4 hours shop time around here...)

it would be a $100, repair for me(my ded on my max care warranty) including my free car rental:)

Ok, looking at how the repair is supposed to be done (by the book) - for the 3.6L, you are expected to drain the cooling system and disconnect multiple hoses.  For the 2.4L, the book calls for disconnecting the AC lines.  Why?!?!?!?  The 2.4L engine bay has so much free space around the engine!

Admittedly, I haven't tried it, and don't intend to.  I have a lifetime added care+ with a $200 deductible that covers things like this...

Dealer alternator for a rebuilt is around $560 or so

https://www.moparpartscanada.ca/auto-parts/2013/dodge/journey/crew-trim/3-6l-v6-flex-engine/electrical-cat/alternator-scat

I saw a guy on youtube motor city mechanic he works at a dealership and on the 3.6 he unbolts the ac compressor on a Caravan and can squeeze it out the bottom.We had our 2013  Crew done at 45000 km  and they took the rad hose approach takes  a couple of hours.Got a rebuilt for about $275 or so at parts source

On 8/16/2017 at 7:13 AM, jkeaton said:

I'll beat Bram to the punch....OEM FCA warranty. (Even though I've had ZERO issues with my aftermarket warranty)

http://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com/ is where i bought mine on line, this is a mopar warranty good anywhere there is a dodge or chrysler dealership. already had to use it once for a oil sending unit , worked out good had a 100. ded plus free rental coverage....