Cross Bars

7 hours ago, Momica said:

What size cross bars does a 2014 journey need.? I heard they are much cheaper on Amazon. Mopar is only selling ones for 2013 and older on Amazon. Any suggestions?

All years use the same size as stated. 

10 hours ago, Journey Guide said:

Has anyone installed these? Dodge said to use caution since airbag equipment is in the roof.

I bought the ebay ones last December and they have worked out great. They had recently come out when I bought them so they were over $100, now they are like $70. I've had a storage box attached to it (Thule style), a sofa tied to it, and a bunch of other miscellaneous items strapped to it. Link is below...and those guys were great when one piece was sent incorrectly. I've never heard of any airbag issues with the crossbars.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Fit-For-09-17-Dodge-Journey-OE-Style-Roof-Rack-Cross-Bar-Crossbar-Black-Aluminum-/191573937438?fits=Make%3ADodge|Model%3AJourney&hash=item2c9ab24d1e%3Ag%3AJLMAAOSwwbdWMCuU&_trkparms=pageci%3A31ab2f0d-7676-11e7-91e4-74dbd1806ed4%7Cparentrq%3A9c29bb4e15d0aa6697a3e039fff8b82f%7Ciid%3A2

Screenshot_2017-07-31-22-08-05-1.png

I'm confused, are you guys talking about crossbars or the rails that attach/install to the car? Installing the rails to the car may affect something during installation if done incorrectly. If you are installing the crossbars you have no chance of messing up anything since they are completely external. Robertlane were you asking about installing rails or crossbars?

On 8/1/2017 at 1:11 AM, Armando G said:

I bought the ebay ones last December and they have worked out great. They had recently come out when I bought them so they were over $100, now they are like $70. I've had a storage box attached to it (Thule style), a sofa tied to it, and a bunch of other miscellaneous items strapped to it. Link is below...and those guys were great when one piece was sent incorrectly. I've never heard of any airbag issues with the crossbars.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Fit-For-09-17-Dodge-Journey-OE-Style-Roof-Rack-Cross-Bar-Crossbar-Black-Aluminum-/191573937438?fits=Make%3ADodge|Model%3AJourney&hash=item2c9ab24d1e%3Ag%3AJLMAAOSwwbdWMCuU&_trkparms=pageci%3A31ab2f0d-7676-11e7-91e4-74dbd1806ed4%7Cparentrq%3A9c29bb4e15d0aa6697a3e039fff8b82f%7Ciid%3A2

Screenshot_2017-07-31-22-08-05-1.png

Armando,

Are these cross bars marked front/rear?

Mopar indicates that one (I believe the front) is longer than the rear.

They are not marked, but it's pretty obvious which one goes in front and back when you go to install them. One is longer than the other. I believe longer one goes on the front. You can also use the brackets to hook your tie straps or tire a rope to. Great value.

Edited by Armando G

I am going to look into these. We take at least 2-3 trips a year and these would have been. nice to have when putting stuff on the roof. We got some nylon car carrier to go on the roof and it was just sad. It said it was for the Journey but the straps were all types of jacked up, didn't even come close to what we expected.

I'm gonna check on the wife's new ride and see if it has these, if not I'll look into getting some for her as well.

Between my crossbars and roof top carrier from Sears (about $180...much cheaper than the Thule ones), family trips are much easier and roomier. I tried the canvas bag carrier, but it felt like a parachute (returned it the day after I got back). Highway miles dropped to about 19 MPG with the canvas one. With the new carrier, it stays at around 23/24 MPG. And I don't need to really fill it completely.

blob.png.da9303f00aa4179fa2b6d9a17c70379c.png

43 minutes ago, Armando G said:

Between my crossbars and roof top carrier from Sears (about $180...much cheaper than the Thule ones), family trips are much easier and roomier. I tried the canvas bag carrier, but it felt like a parachute (returned it the day after I got back). Highway miles dropped to about 19 MPG with the canvas one. With the new carrier, it stays at around 23/24 MPG. And I don't need to really fill it completely.

blob.png.da9303f00aa4179fa2b6d9a17c70379c.png

Thanks for the additional info. That definitely helps in the decision making process.