Electronic Stability Program (ESP)/Traction Control System (TCS) Indicator Light

Hi gang, there is ESP Off switch on my dashboard. When you push it an amber lamp lights on the instrument display. Am I correct in assuming that the vehicle is always using ESP until I push this switch?

On the DVD it says: If this indicator light flashes during acceleration, ease up on the accelerator and apply as little throttle as possible. Adapt your speed and driving to the prevailing road conditions. To improve the vehicles traction when starting off in deep snow, sand or gravel it may be desirable to switch the ESP system off.

I guess what gets me confused is the statement that it might be desirable to turn this ESP off to get better traction?

Phil.

Hi gang, there is ESP Off switch on my dashboard. When you push it an amber lamp lights on the instrument display. Am I correct in assuming that the vehicle is always using ESP until I push this switch?

On the DVD it says: If this indicator light flashes during acceleration, ease up on the accelerator and apply as little throttle as possible. Adapt your speed and driving to the prevailing road conditions. To improve the vehicles traction when starting off in deep snow, sand or gravel it may be desirable to switch the ESP system off.

I guess what gets me confused is the statement that it might be desirable to turn this ESP off to get better traction?

Phil.

Default is on. Pushing the switch illuminates the icon to indicate '...your car may slip and slide...'

I park on a slope on the side of the driveway. The other day there were wet leaves and grass. Discussed with the wife that this might be a situation where you want to disable the ESC (electronic stability control). You want pure power to the wheels and possibly some slipping as opposed to the ECS system taking over to adjust conditions as it thinks the car is losing control.

Phil.

Yes, ESP is always on. The light comes on in the dash when the program kicks in and is actually doing something. Saw it myself this morning. It's raining outside and whenever I accelerated too hard from a stop, the light kicked on. Without ESP, I would have spun the tires. This is what the DVD is referring to when they say ease up on the accelerator. It's the polite way of saying "You're accelerating too hard, you idiot!"

As RAV points out, in exceptional conditions such as mud or slushy snow, you may want to turn ESP off because it would be essentially like driving with your foot on the gas and brake pedal at the same time. In those situations, you may want a little slippage just to keep the car moving.

As RAV points out, in exceptional conditions such as mud or slushy snow, you may want to turn ESP off because it would be essentially like driving with your foot on the gas and brake pedal at the same time. In those situations, you may want a little slippage just to keep the car moving.

A co-worker has to turn off his traction control in his Ford to make the steep climb up his driveway in the winter - lots of speed and wheelspin are required when it's snowy or icy. Think of it this way - when your wheels spin the ESP senses this and slows the wheels, and if the wheels still spin the car slows some more. Eventually you hit a stale mate where you push on the accelerator and get wheel-spin at 2 mph and the car won't move. Yes this will occur, I've seen it happen.

Other instances are when you're stuck and want to "rock" the vehicle, and sometimes a little spinning is essential to get up some momentum to free yourself. Instead you're fighting the ESP until you disable it.

• 1 month later...
So am I to assume that during very wet or snowy conditions I should turn esp off so my AWD will work properly to feel the wheel slip? BTW I have a 09 AWD SXT Journey in Central NY.

Under driving conditions - NEVER - disengage the system at speed. It is there to make decisions and deal with hazzards.

Under stuck or starting conditions, you may wish to disengage the system to get out of a bind.