oil pan threads stripped

weasey31

changed the oil yesterday. when i removed the drain plug i found metal thread reminents on the plug.  the drain pan threads must have gotten stripped.  the shards were not magnetic. does anybody know if the pan is aluminum?? 

thanks for the confirmation guys!

Yeah I took a 13mm wrench on it to loosen it. once i cracked it loose I knew that it should  unscrew with just the fingers but for some reason it was still hard. i had to wrench it all the way to get it out. that's when I saw the threads coming out on the plug and were broken. 

• 2 years later...

Can you tell me what self tapping plug would be used in a 2010 Dodge Journey SXT V6 engine?

I took my car in to the dealer for the usual oil change, and now they are telling me the oil pan threads are stripped and I will need an entire oil pan replacement.

Funny thing is, every time I go to this particular dealer, they tell me I need a $1k repair.

Then, when I pick it up, they try to tell me "Wow! That's an old Journey you have."  Really... 2010 is old? LOL.

Any advice would be great, just in case I really do need to repair this, I want to take it to a repair shop that will just put the self tapping plug in for me.

well a 2010 is 10 yrs old, but still the plug shouldn't be stripping out just go to your parts store tell them what you are driving and ask for a over size plug that simple, i liked the old plugs on the caravans they had a silicone washer that made it easy to snug up to the pan with no leaks. to be honest my plug was getting rounded edges from my wrenches and it is a 2014( brought on my own carelessness, from removing it from bad angles) so i bought a cheap one from the part store till i got a replacement from the dealership then the next oil change o installed it they are a lot better quality than the part store ones,,,

There are cheap bung type repair plugs you can install yourself without any threading needed. Buys you some time.  I had one on a crappy beater car for three years without any issues, Pan got so rusted out and I eventually replaced complete pan.

If you have access to use of a large set of taps and a tee tapping handle you could try to clean out the threads. Not much material there and avoid going too deep into pan with tap, oil pump pickup might be close to pan bottom.

https://www.amazon.ca/Dorman-HELP-65109-Drain-Plug/dp/B000CO96CM/ref=asc_df_B000CO96CM/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=335246916381&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6248474367925628452&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9000883&hvtargid=pla-570913404624&psc=1

Dorman HELP! 65109 Oil Drain Plug

Edited by John/Horace

T

here are cheap bung type repair plugs you can install yourself without any threading needed. Buys you some time.

Just make sure you do not back this plug cap all the way off the threaded bolt or the anchors ( wings) will fall off, but then again the end appears to be mushroomed to stop that from happening ?

On 3/11/2020 at 10:40 PM, John/Horace said:

There are cheap bung type repair plugs you can install yourself without any threading needed. Buys you some time.  I had one on a crappy beater car for three years without any issues, Pan got so rusted out and I eventually replaced complete pan.

If you have access to use of a large set of taps and a tee tapping handle you could try to clean out the threads. Not much material there and avoid going too deep into pan with tap, oil pump pickup might be close to pan bottom.

https://www.amazon.ca/Dorman-HELP-65109-Drain-Plug/dp/B000CO96CM/ref=asc_df_B000CO96CM/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=335246916381&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6248474367925628452&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9000883&hvtargid=pla-570913404624&psc=1

Dorman HELP! 65109 Oil Drain Plug

no way in hell i would have used this type, how would you get it out when you go to do your repair

It pivots to get it in and out, only takes a few seconds to remove.  Old design around for years. No real pressure in oil pan. More of an emergency repair  thing.

My brothers 300 had the threads seize up at 300k on his aluminum pan. If you are comfortable using a tap, not a big deal.