Recall T47 - airbag wiring

FCA announced a new recall for 2011 - 2015 Dodge Journey for a chafed wire in the steering wheel.  It could lead to unexpected airbag deployment.  Recall notices should start going out soon with a start date for repairs at the end of August.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2015/DODGE/JOURNEY/SUV/FWD#recalls

2 hours ago, hockey_puck said:

Curious to know if this will include Canada.  I suspect it will.

To all others out there who'll jump off the deep end with worry and consternation, take a pill and relax. Have not heard a peep of this happening anywhere.

I await the notice.

Also included in this campaign are an estimated 120,336 vehicles in Canada, and an estimated 54,072 in Mexico.

H.P.

I just read this in the local paper a couple days back ( Windsor Star, Ontario Canada). I thought it was about the alternator / charging system and affected several 100,000 cars in Canada. Just wait for a recall notice I guess.

• 1 month later...

Notices are starting to come out.  Mine just hit my Mopar account.

For anyone who is also having intermittent issues with the steering wheel controls for EVIC and phone - this is potentially affected as well.  Some of the potential warning signs of a chafed wire (which is what the recall is about in the first place) are illuminated airbag warning light, unintended wiper operation, and inoperable steering wheel switch.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2017/RCLRPT-17V432-5557.PDF

The letter is only a holdover from people who don't use the internet (and a legal requirement that you must be positively notified through an official means that there is a defect that must be remedied).  You can run your VIN against the NHTSA database and determine if you have any open recalls.  Usually, you can even find more information here than dealers will tell you about. 

Also, every car owner should register their vehicle with the manufacturer's website for no other reason than recall notifications (and quick access to owner's manuals, not like anyone reads them... :whistling:)

Got mine done today.  Also had them order a new steering wheel control panel (phone/EVIC buttons intermittently don't respond) and new beltline trim for both rear doors (warranty repairs because they're falling apart/weren't installed properly), but those won't be delivered until later in the week.

Edited by bfurth