Changing the transfer case fluid - 2012 RT V6?

Hello everyone,

Brand new to this site (but not other forums) & I am looking for some assistance / tips regarding changing the transfer case fluid on my Wife's 2012 RT V6 AWD.

The vehicle has 70,000 Kms (approx 43,000 miles) & our trusted mechanic of 10+ years has changed every fluid on the Journey (braketransmission, rear diff,  coolant etc).  I changed the oil myself & installed a Fumoto oil drain valve.  

My tech called me & told me that he can access the drain plug (luckily he did not drain the fluid yet), but no matter what he tried, he simply could not access things to get to the fill plug area (he even called a local transmission shop just down the road & they were baffled as well) as there were too many things in the way to access the area to get the new fluid in.  He used a couple of repair manuals that he has access to online & nothing specific or detailed about this fluid change.  There is a 'shield' in the way & he could not take it right off or loosen the bolts to move it out of the way. 

Does anyone know or have explicit & detailed instructions on how to perform this service?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

I assume you are referring to the Power Transfer Unit fluid change (due at 6 years or 60,000 miles/96,000 km)?

According to the manual I'm looking at:

1 - you need to remove the heat shield (bottom and side) - the side has a retaining clip on it that needs to be pried out and replaced when finished

2 - you need a 7/8" long 10mm hex bit - if you can't find one, take a 10mm allen wrench and cut a 7/8" long piece off the end with a hacksaw

3- you need a 10mm ratcheting box angle wrench (flexible head will probably work, but I make no guarantees - about this claim or anything else)

You would think a 10mm allen socket would do the trick in this case, but the clearance might not be enough to fit the 1.5" long socket plus the head of the wrench in there.  What this manual seems to be suggesting is a makeshift version of the same, but with half the clearance.

Put the drain bolt back in before you use a gear oil pump to install new oil.  Manual says 26 ft-lb for the drain and fill bolts, 105 in-lb for the heat shield bolt.

Edited by bfurth

sometimes on difficult repaired or maintenance its best to go by with dealership service center and that way should there be a problem or question its on them, yes i know it will cost you extra $$$ but might be worth it in my mind....i do all my little jobs like oil changes and such but i did pay the dealer to do the transmission fluid change and i did do it early but wanted it on record since i bought the max yrs and miles warranty,, just my 2 cents worth......