Jump to content





Sign in to follow this  
Armando G

Trailer hitch installed - 2015

Recommended Posts

Finally received and installed my Curt hitch (13201) on my 2015 DJ. After reading all the posts on here and researching the options, it was easy to decide on the Curt package on eBay. I did want to originally use the pre-installed wiring on my Journey, but the hassle and cost from the dealer was ridiculous. Installation was pretty straight forward, with the hardest part being just getting started. Installation was done by myself (it is possible), no lifting, and with basic home mechanic tools. Maneuvering to the rubber exhaust hangers was actually the hardest part. Proud of getting it done and love how it looks.

A big thank you to all the contributors on the forum. The information made my decision easier and have me the courage to do it myself. 

2017-06-09 15.06.49.png

20170609_130755.jpg

20170609_130806.jpg

20170609_130819.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 6/9/2017 at 5:14 PM, Journeyphenia said:

I have the oem Journey wiring harness if you need one. I never used it so it's new. 

Are you referring to the harness that connects to the pre-wired connector? Is it for the 2015? I was told 2015 is a specific harness. Let me know and maybe we can work something out.

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The kit is Dodge part number P68080976AC. It's for the 2015 Crossroad and other journeys from what I've read here. It's new in the package and has the instructions. It looks almost like this photo, other than the white connector above where the wires branch off.

 

Image result for dodge trailer tow kit p68080977ac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/14/2017 at 7:52 AM, Journeyphenia said:

The kit is Dodge part number P68080976AC. It's for the 2015 Crossroad and other journeys from what I've read here. It's new in the package and has the instructions. It looks almost like this photo, other than the white connector above where the wires branch off.

 

Image result for dodge trailer tow kit p68080977ac

Are you saying the white connector I circled in the picture attached is not there? That is the part that connects to the pre-installed wire on the truck? Am I misunderstanding you?

I am asking because I would really like to see if we can work something out. I'd love to give it a try.

Capture.JPG

Edited by Armando G

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2017 at 4:59 PM, Armando G said:

Finally received and installed my Curt hitch (13201) on my 2015 DJ. After reading all the posts on here and researching the options, it was easy to decide on the Curt package on eBay. I did want to originally use the pre-installed wiring on my Journey, but the hassle and cost from the dealer was ridiculous. Installation was pretty straight forward, with the hardest part being just getting started. Installation was done by myself (it is possible), no lifting, and with basic home mechanic tools. Maneuvering to the rubber exhaust hangers was actually the hardest part. Proud of getting it done and love how it looks.

A big thank you to all the contributors on the forum. The information made my decision easier and have me the courage to do it myself. 

2017-06-09 15.06.49.png

20170609_130755.jpg

20170609_130806.jpg

20170609_130819.jpg

yea them rubber hangers are a tad hard to get off at first just lube them up with dish soap and water or spray some wd40 and get to prying them off.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope you used some thread locker on those nuts. Looks like a few are not engaging the bolt threads adequately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jkeaton said:

Hope you used some thread locker on those nuts. Looks like a few are not engaging the bolt threads adequately.

just went and checked mine on mu 14 crossroad with curt hitch and mine are tightened  tight, and the rear bolt does have more threads showing then what he has and also the 2nd from the rear also. maybe he took the picks before the final tight torque. i hope so anyway,   lol.    also i did go back about 2 weeks after install and checked my torque on the nuts okay for me.....

Edited by 2late4u

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, jkeaton said:

Hope you used some thread locker on those nuts. Looks like a few are not engaging the bolt threads adequately.

FYI...the pics are before tightening the bolts and torquing them. The exhaust was still hanging and I wanted to take pictures before I forgot. They were just hand tightened at the point of the pictures. Probably should of taken the picture after tightening ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So after a little back and forth I finally installed the Curt wiring harness instead of trying to make the pre-installed harness work (plus, from what the dealer said, I would of been looking at another $250 in parts and flashing). Instead of routing the Curt harness the way they suggest I took the extra time and went over the wheel wells by removing the covers and going through the side plate thing under the driver side doors. I didn't want to attach anything to the brake lines, or try to go around/over/through the suspension, muffler, or gas tank. It took a little longer, but well worth it. At the end of the day, it went on just as promised, no problems with the connections, and worked like a charm. First road trip with trailer is in two weeks, can't wait.

 

Journeyphenia, I would still be interested in trying to work something out with the harness you have...if you are not going to do anything with it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/18/2017 at 9:47 PM, Armando G said:

Are you saying the white connector I circled in the picture attached is not there? That is the part that connects to the pre-installed wire on the truck? Am I misunderstanding you?

I am asking because I would really like to see if we can work something out. I'd love to give it a try.

Capture.JPG

My error, looking at your photo, I see it's a production sticker. I misread that sticker as a male/female connector in my last post with that other photo. My hitch wiring is the same as in this photo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×