P0455

I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong area, but I need a little help. I have a 2014 Dodge Journey Limited that I bought used with 43,000 miles about a month and a half ago. It has been a fantastic car, we really enjoy it. Today as I ran into town the CEL comes on, there was no change in the way it drove, nothing. So I stopped at Home Depot and figured a code would pop up on the EVIC under messages as it did when the gas cap code popped up. Gas station attendant didn't put the cap back on the right way. But there was no code... so I took it to AutoZone and they pulled the P0455 code. Large EVAP leak detected. The car had about a 1/4 tank of gas. The guy at AutoZone says it's probably the gas cap. Has anyone had experience with this? I've checked the engine bay, crawled underneath and looked at the EVAP canister, and everything looks normal from what I can see. The wife wants to take it to the dealership but I just cringe at paying them $100 for them to say it's the gas cap. Any help would appreciated.

Hahaha I know right!? Here in Oregon we don't have self serve gas stations, kind of annoying. AutoZone said they aren't allowed to clear the codes anymore, I'm not sure how entirely true that is but yeah. I have a buddy with a code reader he's going to come by and clear it. I suppose I could disconnect the battery. I know on my magnum after every fill up the engine light came on. I finally told them each time I'll put the cap on myself. Also do you know if we are supposed to have the spring loaded flap inside the fill tube? I noticed there isn't one when I checked the cap.

Is the gas station overfilling , should stop at the first click on the pump and not try to squeeze extra in the tank. 

Sounds like autozone wants a excuse to sell parts . Code readers can be had pretty cheap 

I've always made sure they stop on the first click, the wife on the other hand that's a different story. Yeah the guy at AutoZone wasn't much help other than he said that for the car only being a 2014 with 46,000 that it shouldn't be having a problem like that. He said it's more than likely the gas cap. Once I told him that the Journey will literally show you a picture of a cap and the corresponding code he was like, well I'd be taking it to dodge! I'm trying to avoid this entirely due to the fact they screwed my wife out of $1000 on our magnum, and their service is horrible. I cleared the code yesterday so we will see if it returns. I have about a 40 minute drive today so that should present an opportunity for the code to pop up again.