2014 SXT Electrical issues- who should pay for service?

Hopefully this is the correct forum for this topic

I posted a few days ago in the electrical section about some problems I've had with my 2014 Journey SXT/3.6L. Now the work has been done and there's a discrepancy in who should pay the bill.

I bought the car from CarMax in November and have their MaxCare extended warranty. I started seeing warning lights (ABS, EWS, Engine, etc) a few days ago and tried to schedule a service appointment. CarMax couldn't see me until the 7th (over a week away,) but I found out I could take it to my regular Dodge place and they were authorized to do the warranty repair, so I went with that since they could get me in yesterday

However, Dodge service discovered the problem was caused by some kind of third-party tracking device the previous owners had installed. Apparently it was a fleet vehicle, so the Dodge place tracked down the culprit and removed the device, rewired everything, cleared the codes and it's supposedly good to go.

The problem is, Dodge says I shouldn't be responsible for the bill and that CarMax should pay for it because this is an issue completely on them... meaning, they should have removed the device before selling the vehicle, as it eventually malfunctioned and caused the computer to throw up codes.

Does this make sense? Anyone heard of this? Should I go to CarMax and tell them they should cover the bill since it's their screw-up? 

It certainly isn't FCA's problem, and I tend to agree with the dealer than it was something that was in the vehicle when you bought it, making it Carmax's issue.

Carmax might argue that it wasn't a problem with the vehicle itself, but a judge in small claims court would side with you since it was something in the vehicle they sold to you, therefore part of the vehicle and covered.

If you make no headway don't push it on the phone, but file a written claim and remand for re-imbursement giving them days to pay you back failing which you will file in Small Claims . . . . then, if they don't pay, file the claim. 

That's a pickle of a situation! Definitely ask Carmax to pay, and if they do then great. If not, as bamfrank stated, tell them you are prepared to take it to court. My Dodge dealer sells a tracking device that can be added to the vehicle after it is purchased though, so I would double check with the dealer that it wasn't something installed by the dealer. Every Dodge dealer tries to sell this as an add on, but I think it is an official mopar part, so just double check that isn't what the culprit was because if it is, then carmax won't be paying diddly squat. This is the link: EVTS

Ive never had any dealership try to sell me a tracking device for any of my vehicles, never knew one existed or why i would want one. I do know most pay by the week car lots installs them so if the buyer quits paying they can track and repo easier that way...plus if a dodge dealership ever had installed one it would be listed on the service record associated to your vin number...

On 6/3/2017 at 8:10 AM, 2late4u said:

Ive never had any dealership try to sell me a tracking device for any of my vehicles, never knew one existed or why i would want one. I do know most pay by the week car lots installs them so if the buyer quits paying they can track and repo easier that way...plus if a dodge dealership ever had installed one it would be listed on the service record associated to your vin number...

They sell it as an alternative to products like LoJack. If the car is ever stolen they can recover it by tracking it via GPS. They also send you information about the driving habits of whoever has the car, like if you were buying a Dart for your son or daughter it would tell you when they were using it, where they were using it and how fast it was going. Strange they didn't offer it to you, I've been to a few dealers and they always put the hard sell on for that. 

2 hours ago, lmoore1436 said:

They sell it as an alternative to products like LoJack. If the car is ever stolen they can recover it by tracking it via GPS. They also send you information about the driving habits of whoever has the car, like if you were buying a Dart for your son or daughter it would tell you when they were using it, where they were using it and how fast it was going. Strange they didn't offer it to you, I've been to a few dealers and they always put the hard sell on for that. 

BUT as i said If a dodge dealership installed it,it would be listed on the  service record so it was done by a third party not dodge......well none of my last 5 new cars i have bought i was given the hard sell as you say, guess i dont deal with that type of dealers....

1 hour ago, 2late4u said:

BUT as i said If a dodge dealership installed it,it would be listed on the  service record so it was done by a third party not dodge......well none of my last 5 new cars i have bought i was given the hard sell as you say, guess i dont deal with that type of dealers....

Oh no it absolutely would, I wasn't trying to say it wouldn't. I was just stating why, and yeah, some of the dealers around here like to play hardball and add on whatever they can get you to fall for. They actually have dedicated sales personnel just for the things that they put on for you after you buy the car. I'm sure it has been marked up by at least 300% but people here in the DC area must not do their research beforehand!