Rear in floor cargo storage wont open

chiefly

2016 dodge journey. Behind my third row there is an in floor cargo storage area where the jack is inside. The latch wont open to get inside to the storage bin or the jack. Happened after i got a car wash (of course) and now i dont know how to get in it. I also think that the latch maybe broken... anyone have experience with this?

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 6:01 AM, probak118 said:

Same as other post...no latch on two row models just lift up on canvas handle.. Why a latch on third row models ? 

It's a size issue.  The 2 row Journey has a rear cargo deck that's about 3 feet by 3 - 3 1/2 feet.  The 3 row Journey "loses" that full cargo area (when the seats are in use) and has a small storage bin (about 8 inches long, maybe 6 inches deep, runs the width of the tailgate opening).  A panel placed on top of that could become a hazard (it would be able to fly over the 2nd and front row seats in a collision), much less stay put over speed bumps.  It's the same kind of latch that's used on the 2nd row bins and on the Grand Caravan/T&C middle row storage area.

On 6/1/2017 at 10:42 AM, bfurth said:

It's a size issue.  The 2 row Journey has a rear cargo deck that's about 3 feet by 3 - 3 1/2 feet.  The 3 row Journey "loses" that full cargo area (when the seats are in use) and has a small storage bin (about 8 inches long, maybe 6 inches deep, runs the width of the tailgate opening).  A panel placed on top of that could become a hazard (it would be able to fly over the 2nd and front row seats in a collision), much less stay put over speed bumps.  It's the same kind of latch that's used on the 2nd row bins and on the Grand Caravan/T&C middle row storage area.

Speaking of hazards in case of a collision (or roll-over), this is something I've been concerned about since we got our first minivan (1993 T&C, in 2000).  We did a lot of traveling back & forth to a remote village in the Amazon via Cessna, and all baggage was always secured or covered with a net.  I have always wondered why this is not a concern in vehicle safety.  A 50 lb suitcase could do a lot of damage to passengers.  Just wondered why it is not at least an option.  All they would have to do is design in some latch points along the side just below the windows.

first the cost, second not many people would worry about this happening. 3rd they would have to have something real solid to attach the d rings to. 4th is the liability when it broke they could be libel for damages in a lawsuit.....i have tried to use the d rings on the rear of my journey to hold a small 3 wheel  medical scooter and found out real quick it is attached with a small screw into some thin metal. did not hold,so i lifted the rear cargo deck and installed some small chain with some good size bolts thur the bottom  and side of the body frame and was able to cut a small bit of the edge of the cargo board so the chains could come up and attach to the scooter to hold it i used 4 chains and still wasn't to thrilled going 75 mph with that in the back in case of a sudden stop. so after a while i bought a carrier from discount ramps and installed a trailer hitch to carry her scooter... feel a lot safer now..

I tend to think that if they designed it into the body structure from the beginning, it shouldn't add too much material or cost.  I'm thinking that if it was done that way, that structural member would serve for some other functions as well.  And if you've ever pulled the side panels on these vehicles, you know that it is a good deal of work.  Small planes (like the Cessna 206 we always flew in) are not built real hefty inside - they can't be and stay as light as they are.  The grass airstrip we always flew into was only a bit over 500 meters.  The planes all had the STOL (Short Take-Off & Landing) modification, but it could still be touch & go, if the grass was wet, or if the wind changed directions on you just as you landed. (Happened one time.  The pilot did a ground loop, where they spin the plane around and use the prop to stop it.)  I should look at out Journey in the back, to see if I can tell where the third row seat belts would have attached.  (Ours came w/o the 3rd row.)  The net itself would be the biggest expense.  The easiest place to install something like they have in small aircraft would be in the floor.  They have these runners set into the floor, and you use special clips to attach at any place along the length of the runner.