Intermittent clicking sound in steering column behind gauge panel

aReLBee

• 11 months later...

No one replied to this thread. However, I figured out it happens when the thermostat to the air conditioning/heater is adjusted.  I determined it is the actuator door clicking at a certain point during adjustment. If I turn the thermostat far left or far right and come back to the middle position it stops. It sounds like it is located in the center of the dash so I do not even want to mess with it. It would take more work to take the dashboard apart to get to it then it is just to live with it. 

You might be able to get at them by taking the glove box out.   You may not need to take the dash apart.  Sounds like a lot of work for a part that seems to mess up a lot, but then again, we have all seen worse!

There are probably 2 of them in the center of the dash, one below another.  One does the heater, floor,  vents (top one) and the other does the air conditioning (bottom one).  I think that this info is correct, but I am just learning a lot of this stuff myself.  I looked into it when our air conditioning would only work on the passengers side.  It fixed itself after a couple of days.  It was likely stuck and got dislodged on a pothole.  Lots of potholes here.

Hope this helps.

mechanical-idiot

that is a lot of clicking, i would be ready if i was you that it might quit one day or strip the gears in the future, might want to run it by the dealership or a garage that handles things of that nature and just see what they think of the noise, and the could give you a heads up on what they think and a ballpark est. of what it might cost to fix so if it does break down you would have a head start on knowing what you are facing. good luck and take care.