Problem with Alignment?

My DJ is mostly my trip rig.  Driven mostly on the highway for long trips. . .   Seems to drive fine in all aspects.  I recently took it in for my 72 month maintenance.  All was completed as requested (including new spark plugs) and all was fine according to the service guy.  Additionally, they told me that my alignment was off.  Initially, I ignored this comment because I doubted they put it up on the rack and assumed they were just attempting to get some more money on a "do no harm" type service that probably does not need to be done.  I have been thinking about this since that time.  I do remember that someone told me that our DJ alignment system is different than most vehicles.  Not sure if that is true.  

Is there a way the service tech could tell that my DJ was out of alignment without putting it on the rack?  Curious what others have experienced with alignment.  Have other's had alignment issues or had their DJ aligned?  

Please post your experiences and comments.

Peace.    

there is something different because when i bought the car two years ago they supposedly did a alignment a long with a lot of other things . i just figured it was a list of stuff to add valve to the sale of the car .  

well last december the  tire's started cupping .  i replaced  bushings and links , all four  struts and did a brake job .  when i took it to goodyear for tire's and a alignment ..

they put it on the rack and showed me the specs and said the alignment was spot on...   wired because normally replacing  strutsthe alignment should be off  

and no , unless there is something noticeable like uneven  wear or pulling to one side the only way to tell is put it on the rack. also they should show you the specs ..

Edited by Dusty256

some dealership iv seen lately have a spot in their dealership where they drive the car thur a small lane that has some censers set up that supposedly tell them to tell you that a front end alignment is needed, i wouldn't put to much faith in such measures more of a sales upgrade to me.....

The alignment is controlled by:

shocks/struts

inner/outer tie rods

control arms

Any time any of those are touched for repairs, an alignment check should be performed and adjusted as needed.  Alignment can be thrown off by potholes or any other substantial obstruction that jars the vehicle.  A 4,000+ pound vehicle moving at 40+ mph is a LOT of kinetic energy.  Suddenly and dramatically changing the position of a wheel puts a tremendous amount of force into those components.