What is that SMELL?

Journeymom12

I have a 2012 Journey CVP. Which I bought used. I have owned for 6 months.

My daughter and I entered the car a week ago and it smelled to high heaven, just like urine. 

I took it to the local dealer and they swear they don't know what is causing this issue.  I paid 50.00 for a new cabin filter and it still smells.

I vacuumed out the interior of the car, checked all the hidden areas for anything dead or decaying. We checked the engine, no signs of 

rats or other vermin nesting and I don't own any pets.

Why is my car smelling like a male bathroom?

The first thing I would do is to be sure there wasn't any spills or other events that you are not being told about.  If that isn't it, then I would purchase some pet odor eliminator and use that everywhere that could possibly be the source of the odor.  If it is urine, that will eliminate it.  It will likely eliminate other odors as well.  Hopefully that will do the trick.  

BTW this isn't a known issue or anything.   Something happened in your DJ in the last week to cause this.  I hope the pet odor stuff works, but it would also behoove you to figure out how this occurred.  

Best of luck to you. 

Peace.

One other thing.   I assumed that the smell was coming from the interior.  If it's coming through the vents, that's a whole other ballgame.  You may be smelling mold and mildew through your vent and AC system.  Cleaning that can be difficult.  Not impossible, but difficult.  Consult an AC professional.  The dealer may not be your best bet.  

Peace.

If you can handle the white vinegar smell for a couple of days spray that in the car it will completely eliminate the smell. My son peed on his mattress (made of memory foam so no springs) once it smelled horrible sprayed some white vinegar mixed with water had it air dry outside for 2 days smell was completely gone. But yes you will need to spray on the source. 

Edited by Eduardo831
Finish detaild

many ,many yrs ago like 40 yrs ago  my sister in law borrowed my old ford truck with no air conditioning and a couple days later after she returned it, i found her babies #%&* diaper wrapped up in a Kmart plastic sack that she meant to get out later but forgot and it was during the hot Alabama summer.Man did it take a long time to get that smell out,but at least it was easy to find out where it was coming from...

I have owned this car for 7 months now and it NEVER smelled before last week. I am CERTAIN no one has peed in my car, spilled anything

or peed in the doorjamb. I did a sniff test through out the car after vacuuming it. It smells like it's all over and coming from vents..

If its coming from vents which I believe it too, is it covered under warranty? I still have warranty coverage. Thank you.

Edited by Journeymom12

This may be a far-fetched idea but my grandparents live on a farm and on occasion they find that a raccoon or something of similar size has gotten into the engine bay and did their business. Not saying this is what it is, but if you keep it parked outside it could be a possibility. 

• 6 years later...

Foul Interior Odor Finally Found. It is the dash silencer pad. I've owned this low miles 2014 Journey for a while and haven't been able to pinpoint the foul smell in the interior. I FINALLY removed the seats, carpeting, and center console and found it's the mastic/dash silencer. Since I wasn't going to roll the I.P. to remove the entire silencer, I ripped out everything I could get my hands on. I did replace it with Dynamat and jute as a replacement silencer. NO MORE STINK!!!