I have a 2015 Dodge Journey SXT V6 with 45K miles tried to start it on Saturday would crank wouldn't turn over. I tested the fuses battery spark plugs and coil packs. Took it into dodge dealership they concluded my fuel pump went out is that possible at 45k miles. What are your guys opinion on this subject I feel like I'm not being told something here. 

16 minutes ago, redtomatoman said:

Anything can go out at any time.  That's what warranties are for.  Good luck. 

Peace.

I hear you unfortunately dodge claims this isn't under their warranty, but since an old acquaintance of mine works there they were willing to replace the part . In return I pay the diagnosis and an hour worth of labor. Total cost 230 ish plus tax getting my vehicle back tomorrow I just found it odd that it failed without warning.

Edited by Eduardo831
Details

4 hours ago, Eduardo831 said:

I hear you unfortunately dodge claims this isn't under their warranty, but since an old acquaintance of mine works there they were willing to replace the part . In return I pay the diagnosis and an hour worth of labor. Total cost 230 ish plus tax getting my vehicle back tomorrow I just found it odd that it failed without warning.

There is only so much onboard diagnostics can monitor. Lots of things can fail without warning. If you did not purchase a full coverage extended warranty, the standard powertrain warranty would not cover fuel pump failure. Fuel pumps normally fail because they are not constantly submerged in fuel, i.e. constantly running on empty.

17 minutes ago, redtomatoman said:

I didn't realize that fuel pumps were not covered.  What about other pumps such as water pump or oil pump?  Not covered?  I haven't read my extended warranty for a while, but I remember it saying something along the lines of anything mechanical is covered.  I'm surprised. 

Peace.

I'm not entirely sure on the water pumps but the oil pump is definitely covered since you would have to dismantle the top of the block to remove the oil pump. Many people think oh remove the oil pump by removing the oil pan nope doesn't work that way. I experienced that when I was working on my g35.

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 11:13 AM, redtomatoman said:

I didn't realize that fuel pumps were not covered.  What about other pumps such as water pump or oil pump?  Not covered?  I haven't read my extended warranty for a while, but I remember it saying something along the lines of anything mechanical is covered.  I'm surprised. 

Peace.

Well, the OP did start with a vehicle at 45,000 miles.  If he didn't get an extended warranty, the only things covered are going to be the (basically) everything from the back side of the throttle body (not including the throttle) to the CV joints.  The fuel pump isn't covered under the power train warranty.

Fuel, water, and oil pumps are all included on even Added Care+ plans.  Max Care covers pretty much everything but brake pads, tires, paint, glass, and upholstery.

The moral of this story - the warranty terms mean exactly what they say.  First 12,000 miles, anything that goes wrong with anything that isn't impact related (glass or other) EXCEPT the tires is covered.  Between 12,001 and 36,000, anything that goes wrong with any component (besides tires, brake pads, or impact related problems) is covered.  At 36,001 miles, if it's not the powertrain (as defined above), body rust-through, or emissions, and you don't have an extended plan, it's not covered (unless there's a recall).  If you want to keep a vehicle on the road long term, it's going to cost you.

Also, yes - fuel pumps are cooled by gasoline.  The lower the fuel level, the less "coolant" is available to them.  An overheated pump of any kind is prone to failure.  Definitely don't let it run dry.  I've got a 2010 T&C with 120,000+ miles on it with the original fuel pump and no problems.  I had a 2003 Malibu that needed a new fuel pump at 112,000.  45,000 miles in less than 2 years is pretty harsh levels of driving, so some components are going to wear faster than "normal."  It's not the years, it's the miles...

Thanks for the input guys but this wasn't a being cheap and letting the gas tank run on empty type of problem. This is my first doge product I hope nothing else major like this goes out soon. I own a 2004 Infiniti g35 6sp manual has 320k miles runs strong have changed cam sensors starter,battery and clutch . So I do hope dodge isn't going cheap on its parts but only time will tell. 

Edited by Eduardo831

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 5:20 PM, Eduardo831 said:

Thanks for the input guys but this wasn't a being cheap and letting the gas tank run on empty type of problem. This is my first doge product I hope nothing else major like this goes out soon. I own a 2004 Infiniti g35 6sp manual has 320k miles runs strong have changed cam sensors starter,battery and clutch . So I do hope dodge isn't going cheap on its parts but only time will tell. 

A fuel pump is not "major."  No, the car won't go without one, but changing one out is not terribly difficult.  If you start with a nearly empty fuel tank, it's about a 2-3 hour job in a driveway.