9k miles and 6 months later...

lmoore1436

So I hit 6 months and have managed to put a whopping 9k on my crossroad plus DJ. The honeymoon phase is over and I have quite a bit more to say about it now. Hopefully if anyone is considering buying one and checks out the site it'll help them out a bit. I spent a few weeks lurking around here myself before making the purchase!

0 problems!

Things I'm fond of:

Engine: The engine is great, can be a little loud when it's warming up but everyone I know who has a dodge or jeep has the same noise upon startup. Really the only thing that hampers the engine is the trans. 1st, and 2nd gear are great, but when I hit 3rd gear it's like all the power has been sapped away. Something with the gearing is off, it's not a specific problem per se, just an odd shift point that they programmed into the trans. Oil life is great too, the little message telling me to change the oil hasn't come up yet but I'm going to take it in next week to get it done anyways. 

Drive: Really composed, bumps don't do much to startle it, and on decent surfaces it's really smooth. This is surprising to me because I overinflated the tires by a few psi. When I bought it during the winter the tire pressure monitor kept going off so I just inflated the tires to 38 and all was well. Very quiet inside also, wind noise gets kind of audible over 65-70mph but that's about it. 

Head Unit: I was kind of scared when I heard how many people on here had problems with theirs, but nothing wrong with mine *fingers crossed*! It's probably the best and easiest system to use. I do kind of wish it came with the UConnect apps like all the other dodge models, but I can't complain at all. 

Looks: I can't say enough how great I think it looks, especially the crossroad trim. Clean lines, nice wheels, and the blacked out grill are awesome. I finally got a small dent at the grocery store the other day, which you'd think it's a bad thing but after the first dent is usually when I calm down and stop parking in the WAAAY back of the parking lot so I'm not all that upset about it. 

Space: Tons of space and cool little hiding places. I've used the third row exactly 0 times, but I love that it's there, just waiting. Sometimes I'll even prop it up for a few days! The cubbies under the second row floor are great too. Went to a Kenny Chesney concert and stocked them up with some ice and beers to drink in the parking lot and that's about the only time they've come in handy, again just cool knowing they are there. 

Things I'm in between about:

Gas Mileage: I averaged about 17 for the longest time, with an even mix of city and highway driving and my very light left foot. The saving grace with the mileage though is that the gas tank is huge, a little over 20 gallons if I'm correct, and that allows you to go pretty darn far. Last week after non-stop driving to NC I reset the trip computer for the drive home and average 26.3mpg. I was so excited I rushed over to the gas station to fill up and see if I would get the elusive 500 miles DTE that Dodge advertised and I certainly did! The weirdest things give me joy these days!

Reliability: I have no reason to doubt the reliability of my DJ yet, but for peace of mind I went and got the MaxCare warranty from dodge, unlimited miles and years. Between the odd behavior of the transmission, and hearing about random things going awry way before they should kind of leaned me toward this. If you are interested in getting it, call in to purchase it, over the phone they can give you a 0% interest plan for 24 months instead of the 12 you get online. 

Things I'm not fond of:
Electronic features: This is probably me being a little persnickety, but a few weeks ago I started to get a little irritated about the power windows, and seats. The auto-down feature is great, but why isn't there an auto-up? I live in a gated community and so it rolls down automatically then I tap it to go up and have to remind myself it doesn't go back up automatically. The power seats are funny, they move fore and aft via power, up and down via power, and the lumbar is power adjustable. NOT THE RECLINE THOUGH! Again it's just an oddity that I have to remind myself of whenever I go to adjust my seat. You think by now I would have grown accustomed to these little things but I haven't yet. 

My Dodge Dealer: They are probably the worst people and whenever I talk to another person who owns a chrysler dodge or jeep they say the same thing. When I bought the car I actually refused to work with the first guy that came out to talk to me because he wouldn't listen when I tried to tell him what I want. Him and another sales person got into an argument right in front of me too, very unprofessional.... and it was really awkward. 

Things I wish I would have done differently:

1. Gotten a sunroof

2. Paid a little less, MSRP was 36k and some change, I ended up paying 31k but I noticed others are getting much better deals. 

3. Waited? I bounce around in my head a lot as to whether I should have waited or not. Dodge is going to refresh the DJ sometime soon (hopefully), and if they are smart they'll address the shortcomings of this model. I have this DJ now for as long as the wheels turn so I may have to deal with being envious of next-gen DJ owners!

Great review of your experience.   I have been very happy with my DJ too.  I got the unlimited miles warranty as well.  I hope I never need to use it, but I have it.  I have to agree with the transmission complaint.  Like you said, not a problem, but more response and better shift points would be nice.  I mostly hate the acceleration lag in drive.  I go into manual when I know I need power.  Overall great vehicle, IMHO. 

Peace. 

• 3 months later...
On 2017-04-27 at 9:27 PM, lmoore1436 said:

Oil life is great too, the little message telling me to change the oil hasn't come up yet but I'm going to take it in next week to get it done anyways.

Is this feature equipped in all journeys? I've got a Canadian 2014 Limited Edition, & going off of the window sticker from the dealers service dept, I've exceeded the mileage threshold for oil changes but have yet to see any messages about it

I missed this thread when it first appeared and given that my 2014 Canadian Crossroad has auto up and down front windows, I suspect that the feature became one of those relegated to the 'plus' version of the vehicle - making the base version somewhat lacking by comparison.

As to oil change intervals, the manual says the warning may come on at some point after 3,500 miles and to not travel more than 10,000 miles or exceed six months between changes.  Feel free to ignore your dealer.  They are simply out there trying to sell you as much as they can.

I know my 09 auto up windows are settable.  Auto down always works, but autoup is an option.  I forget the exact resetting process, but its smoething like without stopping lower the window while holding the switch in the down position for a second or two after the window is down, the repeat the process for window up.  Ater that you have auto up & down.  Maybe yours is different, check your owners manual.

On 8/12/2017 at 8:34 PM, Justinmh said:

Is this feature equipped in all journeys? I've got a Canadian 2014 Limited Edition, & going off of the window sticker from the dealers service dept, I've exceeded the mileage threshold for oil changes but have yet to see any messages about it

Yup! Even the base journey has the maintenance schedule reminder, letting you know when you should get an oil change. The manual for the V6 says do not go longer then 10k miles though. 

17 hours ago, bramfrank said:

I missed this thread when it first appeared and given that my 2014 Canadian Crossroad has auto up and down front windows, I suspect that the feature became one of those relegated to the 'plus' version of the vehicle - making the base version somewhat lacking by comparison.

As to oil change intervals, the manual says the warning may come on at some point after 3,500 miles and to not travel more than 10,000 miles or exceed six months between changes.  Feel free to ignore your dealer.  They are simply out there trying to sell you as much as they can.

I have the Crossroad Plus as well, though its just auto down for the drivers side, and the passenger is not auto at all. The GT does have it on both Up and Down for the driver and passenger. 

I have prepaid maintenance for 3 years, so I do still go in around when the sticker says to, not so much because I think I need to but because I want them to have to spend more by shortening my oil change intervals! I have heard them quote a customer 5200 for a warranty they could get through molar directly for 3200, so they are slimeballs. 

11 hours ago, OhareFred said:

I know my 09 auto up windows are settable.  Auto down always works, but autoup is an option.  I forget the exact resetting process, but its smoething like without stopping lower the window while holding the switch in the down position for a second or two after the window is down, the repeat the process for window up.  Ater that you have auto up & down.  Maybe yours is different, check your owners manual.

Thanks! I'll have to look into that! I didn't think much of it when I first bought the car but I do remember setting my old Civic windows that way!

22 minutes ago, lmoore1436 said:

Thanks! I'll have to look into that! I didn't think much of it when I first bought the car but I do remember setting my old Civic windows that way!

As you know, there is a physical stop (click) when you engage the express down feature on the windows.  Unless there's a similar detent (click stop) on the switch you do not have express close feature on the front windows.