I have a 2013 Dodge Journey that I'm having ABS issues with.  The light started out coming on intermittent and now stays on all the time.  I haven't noticed any issues with how the car drives however I take it very easy since I'm nervous about it.  I had recall work done on the ABS and shortly after that is when I began having the issues.  I contacted my dealership and they said it would be an $80 fee just to place it on the machine to see what codes showed.  This is crazy!  Has anyone else had these same issues?  I want to see if others are having the same thing happen and what I can learn prior to taking the car to a mechanic.  I don't know much about cars so I don't want to be taken advantage of due to unfamiliarity of cars.   I'm also having issues my phone not working through the speakers.  When someone calls me they say it sounds very creepy, demonic like if I answer via the car.  Only phone calls are affected not blue tooth capability.  If anyone has any insight to this issue as well, I would be very grateful.  

I disagee larryl.  Just because the  abs light is on does not automatically mean you need brakes.  The abs has many sensors and that is what is triggering the code, not the need for new brakes.  

Take the car to a parts store, have the code read, then decide if you want to go to the dealer or a local mechanic, or maybe a DIYer.

Edited by OhareFred

Most auto parts store scanners don't read the BCM, which is what controls ABS. You may get lucky, maybe not. Call first.  Check your brake fluid level and did you tell the dealer the light came on after the ABS recall fix? I'd press them on that. Did you get any paperwork listing any warranty for the repair?  Another thing you can do is pull each wheel and inspect the sensor, tone ring and wiring.
Edited by jkeaton

my daughter had her brake light come on while i was on vacation and she called me about it,so i was close to a dodge dealership so i went down and asked them what could cause it,of course couldn't get me no real answers out of them and i said her rear drums hadn't ever been changed and could that be it and they said no. well when i got home i popped off the rear wheels and sure enough they were wore slap out so i replaced them and i guess from the low pressure from no pads caused the light to come on. so wouldn't hurt to have someone check your pads all the way around and look for other problems crimped or loose wires...

The ABS recall includes replacing the ABS module (and a few other components) if needed.  If you just recently had the recall performed, there is a good chance of corroded wires that finally gave up after being handled by a mechanic.  I would press the dealership to read the code at their expense because of the high chance of something having been damaged as a result of their repair and deteriorated ABS module, which would still be covered under the recall.  If the ABS module has failed, then it failed because it was left open to potential corrosion for years before FIAT opened the recall to have it corrected.

If the code is not related directly to the wiring harness or the ABS module, then you're on your own - it would be low brake fluid (possibly because it just needs pads) or wheel speed sensors (which are part of the wheel bearing/hub assembly).  There is a write up on this site that has the steps for replacing wheel hubs in the DIY section (I know it's there because I wrote it...)

On 4/12/2017 at 6:26 PM, Dusty256 said:

You can get closed pulled from a auto parts store , make sure they have one that reads codes...

for the amount the dealer wants you can purschase your own code reader making sure it's one that will read   abs codes. 

I asked the auto store about codes however their machine doesn't read those codes.  They said their machine only read codes from the engine.

23 hours ago, bfurth said:

The ABS recall includes replacing the ABS module (and a few other components) if needed.  If you just recently had the recall performed, there is a good chance of corroded wires that finally gave up after being handled by a mechanic.  I would press the dealership to read the code at their expense because of the high chance of something having been damaged as a result of their repair and deteriorated ABS module, which would still be covered under the recall.  If the ABS module has failed, then it failed because it was left open to potential corrosion for years before FIAT opened the recall to have it corrected.

If the code is not related directly to the wiring harness or the ABS module, then you're on your own - it would be low brake fluid (possibly because it just needs pads) or wheel speed sensors (which are part of the wheel bearing/hub assembly).  There is a write up on this site that has the steps for replacing wheel hubs in the DIY section (I know it's there because I wrote it...)

My uncle checked brakes first thinking that could be the issue but brakes were good.  I'll have him check the other things you mentioned.