what is your mileage on your brake pads

just wondering when on avg  mileage have you changed your pads, on my 2011 the fronts were changed out under warranty at 28 k and i changed out the rears at about 60 k and they really wasn't that bad but had the pads and just did them. so i have about 58 k on my 2014 crossroad and when i rotated my tires the front pads looked great at least half left it looked like, so if you had have brakes replaced on the start of the new bigger pads , at what mileage did you do it at and what condition of the pads were left. 

Edited by 2late4u

On our 09, had to replace the pads and rotors before 20k. Brakes were terrible on the earlier models. I think they went to bigger disks in mid 2012 or something like that. I'm at just around 60k on our 2013. Will need to replace them soon as they are starting to vibrate a bit when braking. Pads are still good for probably another10k, but the rotors need to be turned or replaced. Kudos to FCA. First vehicle I've ever owned where I had to replace the tires before the brakes.

Edited by jkeaton

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

well i just replaced the brakes on my daughters jeep patriot (her mail vehicle  about 28 k on them) so she could have went about maybe another 10 k or so on the front but went ahead and changed them out anyways since i was that far into it but the rear pads were getting pretty thin ( she was hearing a squeaking noise at times) so replaced them as well her other jeep a bigger wrangler i had to replace the rear brakes at about 20 k (one of her rotors got ruined) her front pads still looked good, got me thinking hell i got 72 k on my journey so i ordered front and rear pads (thermoquiet, Wagner) and will put them on next week, i thought well the pads on the rears are always smaller then the front so might as well replace them in good weather when i am not in a hurry than wait and maybe ruin some rotors i dont plan on replacing the rotors as when i rub my finger on them they are smooth as a baby's but... will up date on the condition of the pads after i get them done....

I'm no expert, but I think the way a person drives has a lot to do with how many miles they get out of their brakes.  My wife murders brakes on every vehicle she drives.  She is constantly ripping and tearing around, slamming on brakes about 40 feet from the intersection, sending everyone for a nose dive to the front of the vehicle.  This drives me f#$^ing crazy!  I always try to slow down much earlier than normal  as it is so much easier on the vehicle.

I am not saying that anyone on here is to blame for their brake troubles.  I realize that the brakes on the pre 2013 Journeys leave a lot to be desired.

mechanical-idiot

Not only does the life of your brakes depend on your driving style, but it also depends on the maintenance/upkeep of your car. I am impressed on the how long and well my brakes on my 2015 have lasted and how much more life they seem to have left (currently at 48K miles). When I started hearing that well known creaking noise somewhere on my front axle I thought it would affect the life of my brakes, but so far so good.

My old 91 Explorer had great brakes that lasted and performed very well. When my daughter took the car over, she got less than half the life on the brakes. She had also not told me that she heard a clunk every once in a while when she hit the brakes. There were some bushings in the suspension that were causing the brakes to wear very quickly. Anyway, after the bushings were changed, next set of pads lasted much longer (I averaged 50-60K on each set of pads...had the car to about 290K miles). Lesson here kids, maintain your car  ;)

well i got my Wagner brake pads and put them on this morning, all said and done the org pads with 72 k on them look only about 1/2 wore out, but since i was that far into it i went ahead an replaced them started with the rear and they were wore a little more than half way than the fronts were . they were a piece of cake and i used one of thoes cube dice tool to rotate the caliper piston back in it turned real easy,of course in the you tube videos  the pistons look really corroded but as i am in the south mine were real clean and easy to turn,one thing when removing and putting the new pads in move the brake pad closer to each edge before trying to tilt them in or out makes it a lot easier to get them pushed in or out,same with the front pads easy to remove and reinstall i didnt replace the rotors as they were butter smooth and wasn't having any problems with pulsation or noise from them. from the looks of the OEM pads probally could have went another 25-30 k on them but now i am set for a long long time..now on to new tires and a 4 wheel alignment and then ill be set for our trips as soon as the wife gets well enough she had a mitral valve replaced with open heart surgery about 4 weeks ago and she is doing real good but they dont recommend no unnecessary riding in cars for at least 6 weeks so on the 8 week we have a casnio trip planned.....

got my new tires on and got the alignment done i am ready to roll, sure does ride better now with good tread on the journey... the alignment i bought was a 4 wheel lifetime  from Quick lane that are associated with the ford dealerships cost me $179. so as long as i own the journey unlimited alignments most alignments around here cost about $70-90 for a 4 wheel alignment

Edited by 2late4u

• 3 months later...

I changed out all 4 corners with drilled/slotted roters with ceramic pads at 80k miles on the originals on my 2014 RT. The only reason I changed them was the fronts were starting to squeal more than usual. Thing is the were just halfway warm and had plenty of life left. But the pads were splitting, appearing to be delaminating causing the vibration sqealing.