2010 Journey has a ticking sound

Vickstress

So, my 2010 Journey has a ticking and it seems to be more noticeable when warm, or after I've been driving for awhile. It always gets louder and faster when pushing on gas. When I first noticed heard the tick it wasn't that loud. I took it in to the dealer and they insist its normal. Sure doesn't seem normal to me now that it much louder and it seems like at times I have to press somewhat hard in the gas. Also I can smell burning oil sometimes. But no leaks, just had oil changed. Any Suggestions?

I had a 300 with the 3.5. When I heard that sound I knew it was time to add a quart. That was usually every few thousand miles so my guess is they put in five instead of the required six quarts of oil. Check with dipstick to avoid adding too much 

ps the 3.5 most certainly does have a timing belt. Manufacturer recommends replacing every 100k miles and runs roughly $1000 at the dealership

Edited by CameraGuy

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 6:42 AM, jkeaton said:

Are you the original owner? Has it always done it? How many miles? What engine? Does it go away as the engine warms up? Where is the sound coming from? Need more information.

No I bought it used from a dealer. It has not always made sound. I first noticed it after it was warmed up. Now it has gotten much louder and you can hear it right away and gets louder once it is warm. When stepping on the break it goes away almost completely. The sound is coming from under the hood on the passengers side. Also at times when Accelerating the RPMs go up but not the speed. it has about 86,000 miles

That's good. You hadn't specified so i just wanted to make sure. The 3.5 did make a light, almost muffled ticking/tapping noise that was always there, but it did not get louder at higher Rpm. Have you noticed any loss of power since the noise started? It's possible you may have thrown a rod. That would be a tapping that would be more noticeable at higher rpm. A good service department can easily diagnose this with a listening tool that is kind of like a doctor's stethoscope. Hopefully that is not the issue, as the usual course of action is either to completely rebuild or replace the engine

In one of your earlier replies you mentioned it had not always made the sound. If that's the case, I would not accept "it's normal" as an answer from my service department. If they tell you that again I recommend taking it to another shop for a second opinion. 

I have thrown rods in a car before. They get louder with higher engine speed. That is most certainly NOT the only thing it could be, it's just what came to mind from how you described the issue. It could easily be any number of other things...pulleys, belts, etc move faster as rpm increases. Don't stress about what it is and how much it will cost to fix yet, the first step is to have it properly diagnosed.

Thanks for the info.  I have only had the vehicle for a little over 3 months. I do have a warranty. It's just a huge pain in the butt. Plus super annoying how car dealers try to get over on woman. 

I do appreciate the feedback :) I will take it in on Monday

• 3 months later...

On the 2009-2011 Journeys the rocker arms develop gaps between the liftersand the arms so tapping sound starts. How to fix buy new rocker arms and install them yourself it's not to hard to do but new rocker arms for that year will be a hefty amount.