What grinds your gears?

jkeaton

Historic tags on 20+ year old Civics and Corollas.

Autonomous vehicles, when the eventually prove more capable than human drivers, will ultimately decrease traffic problems.  I'm looking forward to the day when I get in the car and don't have to pay attention to anything until I get where I'm going.  And I get there faster because I'm not waiting on dear old grandma/grandpa to re-learn where the accelerator is.

Edited by bfurth

• 1 month later...

mine is being behind a long busy stretch of cars all going 70 -80- and of course the guy along side of you wanting you to slow down just enough so he can NASCAR around you so you have to slam on your brakes and maybe cause an accident.

• 4 months later...
6 hours ago, starterpack1 said:

I'm from Europe and I just found out that in the US the VAT is not posted on the prices in the store, so basically you see in there is not the real price of the product. That's baaaaad

WHAT?!?! 

Posts that have no real connection to the subject...that really grinds my gears.

People who don't use cruise control when on the highway.  That grinds my gears haha.  I hit the highway, and set the cruise.  Then play the leap frog game with multiple cars on my way to work. And texting while driving.  That one gets me too, while traving 80-90mph.. swerving all over the road while texting.  Not good.

People who buy an 8 year old car with 100,000+ miles and then complain Dodge sucks.

People who complain their navigation can't be unlocked or is out of date.

People who complain their backup camera is "grainy" at night.

I could go on.....first world problems....;)

TLDR; Poorly designed traffic circles, and their downfall when human drivers, 40-50 ft semi-trailers, and rush hour traffic mix:

Poorly designed/poorly implemented Round-a-bouts really grind my gears. (Traffic Circles) SPECIFICALLY ones in high-traffic industrial zones, w/ Semi Traffic, when interchanging to a major free-way on and off ramps.  (THAT's RIGHT, Sprinkle Rd, and I-94: I'M TALKING ABOUT YOU!) Hahaha

Not that they are inherently bad; I've read the presentations about why communities replace aging 4-ways signals with them, (Being: reduced maintenance costs, reducing fatality of crashes, and an overall community fuel savings during low-volume traffic...) Roundabouts are amazing when everyone knows how to use them, and follows the rules, and if they are designed to handle the capacities at rush-hour.... But I just wish my local traffic/MDOT engineers would take into account the "Human Factor" Aka: People, as a species, will always suck at driving; no amount of 'simulated traffic optimization' seems to account for it....

It's always just when that traffic volume spikes... really sharply... during suburban rush hours,  these things bog traffic down so much. I just hate knowing my 60mph  highway commute will always end in this ridiculous hustle to merge into the right lane 1 mile before the exit, Hammer the brakes, try/hope to not cause an accident, ... just because the roundabout is seemingly 10 or 20 times over it's throughput capacity. 

On 10/11/2017 at 12:00 AM, OhareFred said:

Whats the VAT?   Do you mean things like taxes and dealer fees?  Not being a smart ass, never heard of that and am curoius.

Yep, taxes. You can read more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value-added_tax

There's a pretty good example on that Wikipedia page

• 2 months later...
6 minutes ago, bfurth said:

Those rubber hangers actually serve a useful purpose (vibration dampening/noise reduction).  Now if only there were a way to install one with a clamp instead of a Freudian effort...

Some variation of this:

You're quite right. I suppose i wish they just came off easier.... 

• 4 weeks later...

Stupid people who stop before entering a round-a-bout when no other vehicles are coming!!  Or stupid people who stop when they have lots of time to go!!!!!!!  Or stupid people who stop and sit there forever when there is lots of time and space to enter the round-a-bout!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't get me started!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9 hours ago, mechanical-idiot said:

Stupid people who stop before entering a round-a-bout when no other vehicles are coming!!  Or stupid people who stop when they have lots of time to go!!!!!!!  Or stupid people who stop and sit there forever when there is lots of time and space to enter the round-a-bout!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't get me started!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or people who are already in the round-a-bout and stop to let other people enter......

• 5 months later...