8.4/RE2 to 8.4N/RB5

So I'm fairly new to the Dodge Journey platform, but not Dodge. I apologize in advance if this has been asked before, as I am new to this forum. So first things first I just recently acquired a 2014 Dodge Journey Limited. My current radio configuration is the 8.4/RE2 so I don't have the navigation option. I have found a few threads on this forum on how to add aftermarket Navigation to our systems but they require a bunch of different modules that require modification/mounting behind the dash. So my question is this: is the screen just a touch screen and only that? Or is this something that requires replacement along with the stereo head unit? Ultimately if I was to acquire a 8.4N/RB5 unit would it be plug and play with the screen or require both the head unit and the screen? I hope that makes sense? I have a GPS that plugs into the cigarette lighter and attaches using the window smudging suction cup that will suffice, but I want to eliminate that whole thing all together if possible. 

Yes.  You just acquire the RB5 module and plug it in.  You will need t procure an unlock code for the new radio.  If you have an active Sirius subscription on your current radio you simply call in and have it transferred to the new.

Then, be aware that lots of people are selling radios that they claim have the navigation feature, but don't.  One member here bought THREE separate radios from THREE separate sellers and not one had the navigation option - in part because there are many, many different part numbers out there and there is no universal decoder ring to tell you, as a buyer whether what you are getting has or doesn't.

Then there's the simple fact that there are 3 versions of the RB5 in circulation - while the newest is the most desirable (it has access to traffic and it's maps can be updated relatively simply), it also is the one that suffers from a 'can't unlock maps' issue.

Also, you will not have access to Siruis' Travel Link service in an upgraded installation.  Not fatal in this era of smartphones, but just one more issue.

I did the upgrade and have no complaints.

Yeah, I don't think I'll go through the hassle. I'm fairly mechanically inclined and have installed numerous systems into vehicles, but I think I'll just stick with the RE2. Its a great car as is, I just have mild OCD and having cords, smudges and what not gets to me a little bit. I really appreciate the info! Thank you!

I'm new to the Journey platform and I have the re2. Uconnect 8.4 a. I was told by dodge that I can't up grade it to include navigation. Is the rb5 plug and play ? I was told that it has different wiring and won't swap out. I've got everything but the navigation and it drives me crazy. Also how can I lockout the dvd so it can be seen while in motion ?

• 1 year later...

Journey, if you haven't upgraded and still connect to this forum read this. I upgraded from a standard radio to a multimedia navigation radio in my 2011 Journey by buying one from a salvage yard. If you buy a radio newer than 2012 you will need an anti theft code number. Some dealers charge for the code and some  don't. If you don't have the climate bezel with the center button saying  auto you will need to buy that also. I paid $ 110 for the one I bought and it works great. Check mopar sales on line for the different model numbers. They will all work in your vehicle from 2011 to 2018. Both Journey and Charger use the same radios.

Edited by Bill@073

• 3 weeks later...

I have 2014 rt with the Garmin nav, would that be the rb5 radio

Is it possible to upgrade the screens that come in are journeys to a Durango screens? I notice they have apps and more setting plus judging by the videos I have seen there nav has much better quality. I love using the 3D view on my Garmin nav, it works great but I’m not a fan of how it gets all blurry in the distance. It looks like the screen quality in general is not as good as a Durango’s. Are they different or is it all software and just lowered because the computer in are cars uconnect is not as powerful? Or is it that there’s is HD and ares is not. 

8 minutes ago, Inmatejason said:

I have 2014 rt with the Garmin nav, would that be the rb5 radio

Is it possible to upgrade the screens that come in are journeys to a Durango screens? I notice they have apps and more setting plus judging by the videos I have seen there nav has much better quality. I love using the 3D view on my Garmin nav, it works great but I’m not a fan of how it gets all blurry in the distance. It looks like the screen quality in general is not as good as a Durango’s. Are they different or is it all software and just lowered because the computer in are cars uconnect is not as powerful? Or is it that there’s is HD and ares is not. 

Blurry at a distance?  Care to post a photo?

You DO have an RB5 and you can NOT put any other unit in as a direct replacement;  As to be 'better quality', there are some issues with reliability, but one thing the RB5 does that almost no other automotive navigators do is that they support dead reckoning navigation, which means that they don't get messed up in deep downtown environments and they track perfectly when underground.

The overall screen resolution of the RB5 is adequate for the tasks demanded of it.

Either accept what you have, install an aftermarket system or trade the vehicle in for something that comes with a system you like.