Journey 2011 stalling in reverse

SylvainB

Hi all,

Ok I'm having intermittent stalling on cold start only when I put the car on reverse. Here's what i've noticed. If I let the engine wam up for let say 5 minutes, the engine coolant will be 1/4 hot (winter here), then I get in the car, put on reverse then it's fifty fifty, the car will go back or try to and stall. After the engine as fully warmed up, no problem at all. I can start the car, put on reverse everything is fine. I can stall 2 times back to back before I can fully go reverse without stalling.

Second thing I tested is start the car on cold engine and put reverse only after 30 seconds, the car will immidiately go reverse but with such hight torque that I have to apply brakes (that is when it's cold outside -15c) but won't stall. When I do that I have chances that gears wont shift by themselve on (D) It will stay on the gear way longer then usual. So to patch this problem, I put the stick on manual and shift myself. Shifting is fine.

Third thing I tested, let warm up for 5 minutes as usual (winter) then put on reverse instead of letting the car go reverse by compression I apply gas then it's again 50/50 It can stall there or it will go reverse but with lot of smoke behind. When I press the gas pedal the response is pretty nul for 3 seconds then it stall or kick in with smoke.

Other thing I observed is that the car can randomly stall if I put brake suddently or stopping at a red light (rarely) but it happens.

I don't know where to look and how to have a mechanic look at it since it's hard to reproduce. Any help !?

Thank you, I'll try to record it oni my phone, it did it this morning wasn't even cold outside but raining and I felt the humidity in the cabin and was pretty sure it will stall but didn't have time to start the camera. I'm sure it's a sensor too, just a shame it won't throw up a code when stalling. It is suppose to rain for 2 days, I'll try to put it on camera. When the temperature will be up to, I'll replace the spark plugs, pretty sure they have not been replaced (I'm second owner) and i'm at 122k km.

I'll will probably replace some sensors and see how the car goes. Which one should I replace first !? Maybe it's not letting enough air in !? Since I can smell gas after stalling, so pretty sure the ratio isn't good at this point but correct itself when hot !?

44 minutes ago, jkeaton said:

First one sounds like a big vacuum leak. Stalling in reverse could be related, or the park/reverse/neutral lockout switch inside the shifter console.

Do you know how can I diagnose this vacuum leak ?! I already had a vacuum code and it was supposed to be fixed ..... Guess not

On 2017-04-01 at 9:46 AM, OhareFred said:

I would use carb cleaner but not sure it really matters.  

Mine did this for the first time ever, but it was my fault.  Car was cold, backed up, still slowly rolling I jumped from R to D and it died.  Never did it before the other day.  

Yeah I replaced the air filter and I cleaned the MAP sensor with MAF cleaner, it was all black in the MAP, it is really better now but not enough it didn't stall but it wanted to this morning. WHat I'm gonna do next is clean the TPS and Throttle Body and check all vacuum hoses and replace the spark plugs. The mecanic shop where I must go for the warranty to apply didn't want to check it because it didn't do the sound on the first video that morning. He didn't even want to check it out even with my video. For the stalling problem, he said to me that he don't do transmission, he didn't even want to take a look at. Pretty sure it's not the tranny more of a air/fuel problem. I'm going to fill a complaint at the warranty company and the dealer who sold me the car.

Do you guys know if the journey 2011 have an EGR valve and an IAC valve !? Can't find that information on the internet and I can't find the replacement on rockauto. Just wondering !! Thanks !

• 3 weeks later...

Hey I'm just letting you know that I think I fixed the problem. I replaced the spark plugs on my Journey 2011 3.6L, I also changed the upper intake manifold gasket and I pourred a bottle of STP fuel system cleaner EXTRA in with a full tank. I also cleaned the throttle body and did a oïl change with CASTROL HGH MILLEAGE. I think it was a combination of both probably a dirty fuel system with dirty spark plugs. Now the engine runs pretty smooth and no more stalling whatever reverse or drive and no more hesistation.

I read somewhere in this forum who had problem with his tranmission not shifting and it was a clogged filter in the fuel pump who caused his problem.