fuel filter

wpginterceptor

• 6 months later...

As an FYI, for diesel owners in Europe or elsewhere, there is an additional fuel filter at the rear of the engine bay, adjacent to the ABS distribution unit (see pic attached).  It is a cylindrical type, secured by a T30 Torx bolt - the hex-head bolt just stops it rattling but the torx-bolt holds the clamp in place & is hidden behind one of the pipes shown in the first picture.

If your engine is running a bit rough, then the first thing that should be done is to change the fuel filter, especially if not done for some time. Dodge recommended interval is 36,000 Km.  That was the last time I swapped mine. However, based on my experience, I'd shorten that to every 24,000 km. Its amazing the difference it can make - now feels more powerful and much smoother than before. When I emptied the old filter, I was surprised at the blackness of the fuel that came out.  

One thing to note is that its very easy with this type of filter to leave a leak - the o-ring that is situated at the top of the filter tends to get caught is the securing "tang" that holds the main fitting in place. I found the best way to fit without a leak was to remove the joining unit for the 2 pipes (pic2) and fit this off the car.  

Hope this helps someone.

FuelFilter1.jpg

FuelFilter2.jpg

Edited by JohnnyRevs
mis-stated recomended change period