new windshield

had a new windshield installed today as the last  one had been fixed 2-3 times for small chips and when we got caught in the hail storm we had a lot of small pecks that didnt break the glass but kind of pitted it and you only saw them when going into the sun or after cleaning it, they would sparkle, getting ready to switch insurance company so thought id better get it fixed.....also i asked them what that little box was behind the rear view mirror was and they said it was a humidity sencer,so all these people with moist air in the cabin, this  might be their problem. also while checking insurance companies some of them asked if i had taken a safe drivers course so i checked it out and aarpdriversafety.org  offers a course with discounts if you belong to aarp and also found an extra discount using the code bhm ended up costing me $13. 50 and did it,and the wife did it also so we should save us on the avg of about $50. yr discount any one over 50 should check it out.......

Edited by 2late4u

• 6 months later...

well was on a trip and heard a small click but didnt see no crack or chip on the windshield  but about an hour later all of a sudden heard a small noise and a crack comes from the side of the drivers side about 6 inches long scared the hell out of me at first and then about 10 minutes later it grows another 6-7 inches right thur the drivers eye line of sight.oh well,hope the insurance company has a sense of humor and doesn't raise my rates, any way it will cost me an other $100. deductible never had any broken windows with my caravans but my journeys are a different story i guess..

Knock on wood, never had a windshield issue. Has this been an issue in the past or with another Journey. My local DJ buddy has had 3 cracks with his windshield and replaced it twice. Wonder if it's a common thing? I have a little chip almost dead center, but has not developed into a crack.

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 0:17 PM, 2late4u said:

well was on a trip and heard a small click but didnt see no crack or chip on the windshield  but about an hour later all of a sudden heard a small noise and a crack comes from the side of the drivers side about 6 inches long scared the hell out of me at first and then about 10 minutes later it grows another 6-7 inches right thur the drivers eye line of sight.oh well,hope the insurance company has a sense of humor and doesn't raise my rates, any way it will cost me an other $100. deductible never had any broken windows with my caravans but my journeys are a different story i guess..

Is the crack originating from any previously repaired chip?  If so, depending on who repaired it, there may be a warranty claim involved (I vaguely remember SafeLite offering "lifetime" guarantees on their repairs).  I had a claim once on my old Malibu that was a chip repair (policy covered repair at no cost to me) that the repair eventually failed (defroster on a very cold morning - instant foot long crack starting from the previous repair).  SafeLite had to pay my insurance company back for the repair, but I got to pay for the new windshield (funny how that works...)

6 hours ago, bfurth said:

Is the crack originating from any previously repaired chip?  If so, depending on who repaired it, there may be a warranty claim involved (I vaguely remember SafeLite offering "lifetime" guarantees on their repairs).  I had a claim once on my old Malibu that was a chip repair (policy covered repair at no cost to me) that the repair eventually failed (defroster on a very cold morning - instant foot long crack starting from the previous repair).  SafeLite had to pay my insurance company back for the repair, but I got to pay for the new windshield (funny how that works...)

no it had just been chipped i guess about half hour earlier and I was still driving home on the interstate when it started running across the windshield new one going in tomorrow...  P.S. i seen the chip at the beginning of the crack after i got home, the place replacing the windshield says some cars are just more prone to cracks due to the slant of the window...

8 hours ago, km-04 said:

What does it use the humidity info for? What does it control?

A special sensor system in conjunction with the control algorithms in the Climatronic reduces misting-up of the windows and enhances climatic comfort by managing the humidity levels inside the car.

From the data delivered by the humidity and temperature sensor in the base of the interior mirror, the Climatronic control unit calculates the dew point temperature of the air – that is, the temperature at which the air humidity would condense. An infrared sensor remotely measures the radiated heat on the windscreen, and calculates the window temperature. To prevent the windows from misting up, Climatronic regulates the volume of air projected on to the windscreen and, with the compressor switched on, also the air humidity inside the car. Relative humidity based on interior temperature can also be kept at a pleasant level.

See also

Holy crap!!! That is a lot. Had no idea that was going on. Thanks for the info.

Just think, 60 years ago computers were huge things taking up entire rooms, and now we have climate control in our rear view mirrors.

• 2 weeks later...

We replaced our windshield last year after a giant crack formed.  And now, a year later, a huge crack just formed from a tiny little rock chip.  Luckily our windshield replacement company gives free lifetime warranty, so I get a free windshield.

In nearly 20 years of driving, I've never had to replace a windshield.  I have a feeling the DJ windshield build is sub-par quality...

5 hours ago, onecrazyfoo4u said:

We replaced our windshield last year after a giant crack formed.  And now, a year later, a huge crack just formed from a tiny little rock chip.  Luckily our windshield replacement company gives free lifetime warranty, so I get a free windshield.

In nearly 20 years of driving, I've never had to replace a windshield.  I have a feeling the DJ windshield build is sub-par quality...

I've actually replaced quite a few, though I had a 2013 Honda Civic that had such a steeply raked windshield nothing ever hit it directly... I do mostly highway driving and have had quite a few scare/squint moments when a pretty sizable rock hit the windshield and much to my surprise nothing happened with the DJ *crosses fingers* My 2004 Chevy Blazer had a new chip/crack every other month though, it was a nightmare! Sorry that you had to replace yours, bad things happen every once in a while.