2009 Journey 2.4 ALTERNATOR OVERHEATING

Dennis

I have an issue with the 2009 Journey SE 2.4.  I have a new battery and a alternator that is functioning properly.

The alternator will put out 14 or so volts, but within 5 minutes it gets so hot that is will sizzle if you spit on it.  Then it stops putting out power and the car eventually will run the battery down.  I have changed out the wire on the alternator and ran it direct to the jump terminal, and it will put out 14 or so volts until it heats up and stops working.   Is there a fuse or relay for the alternator anywhere, I do not see one marked in the fuse box?  The alternator is functioning until it overheats.  I have changed out 3 alternators so I know it is not the alternator, I suspect a wiring problem somewhere but  unsure where?  Any ideas?

-DS

Edited by Dennis

In the old days I would look for a voltage regulator.  I think the voltage regulater is built in to the BCM....Something is calling for max amps all the time.  Might be a short somewhere as well.  I know, not much help here.  Maybe Journyman will see this and have better information for you.

you need to find a clamp on amp meter and see how current you drawing .. something is drawing a lot of current . running the wire to the jumper block might be bypassing something .. have you checked the sense wire out , it might not be connected 

OK, new clue to the puzzle.

All the amp readings were good, there was no issue with the direct wiring to the alternator/starter/battery/fusebox.  However, suddenly the car would not start, like it was dead, but battery fine.  I had a friend turn the key and I was pushing and pulling on the area of  the harness that holds the original wire from the started to the alternator and the car started right up, not only that, the alternator did not overheat, it appeared to be solved.  But turn the car off and it is dead, until you manipulate the harness then it fires right up.  I suspect there is a wire within that area of the harness that is causing the problem. I have a sneaky suspicion that the wire in question will be one the wires from the plug of the alternator.  I will keep you posted, please respond if have dealt with anything like this.  I have attached a wiring diagram for 2009 2.4L Journey

-DS

IMG_4241[1].JPG

You are definitely on to something here!  Maybe a little critter got in there and chewed something?  Check for corrosion at each connector.  You may have to open up the wire loom and check each wire, could be a wear spot and something shorting, not making contact, etc.  could be the wires are fine and its the connector in the PCM.......

Good luck and please keep us informed!

my daughter has a 2007 caravan kept having a problem with coil packs going bad finally the mech found inside a connector was melted a bit and would burn out the coil pack replaced the connector and solved the problem,,,   also ys ago had about the same problem with the electric rad fan not clicking on ended up being the connector also 

Believe I have found the suspect wire, It is the wire that connects to the starter, not the main power wire, the wire that connects with a female spade connector.  I replaced it, and all seems ok now, but I have been in the position before, thinking all was well then 2 weeks later the car wont start.  Ill keep you posted.  Also, I have attached another wiring diagram.  I did ultimately make a new power wire for the alternator and bypassed the starter, taking it straight to the jump post with an inline 125 amp fuse on it, seem fine. 

IMG_4251[1].JPG