8.4 uconnect cannot unlock maps - FIXED IN 6 STEPS (Confirmed)

47 minutes ago, bramfrank said:

That directory shouldn't even be there.

Look at the first post in this tread which will tell you what directories you need.  The specifics of the file names depends on the map version you are installing.

I hate busting someone’s knuckles, but it’s right there in the first post. Doesn’t really matter much, since the DB file is a database of routes and POIs anyway, per   Garmin. Their 2019.20 files do have the SQLite directory and DB file

CC42FFE9-683B-4D9D-84A0-80ECE16B9917.jpeg

Well, the SQL directory isn't required.  The POIs are integrated within the img file.  And it is interesting . . . I hadn't actually checked that first post, I just assumed that the OP wouldn't list files that weren't required - the SQL file isn't listed in the site I used for my reference and  it doesn't actually DO anything for you and isn't required; everything works perfectly without it.

Reading through that opening post I was struck at how vehement the OP was in terms of his justifying a serious DMCA copyright violation on the basis of Chrysler's integrating the radio to the system, preventing the use of an aftermarket device . . . . something almost every car manufacturer does today.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone

I am having the exact same issue as described.  My questions are.  1.  Where can I find the files listed?  I have searched using google and I find lots of links but to sites that require signing up and purchasing data quotas, you name it.  Is there an easy location to get the data?  Second question.  Do I need to be running CTP13 or can I still perform the upgrade when my firmware is CTP17?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2 hours ago, TheJack said:

Hi Everyone

I am having the exact same issue as described.  My questions are.  1.  Where can I find the files listed?  I have searched using google and I find lots of links but to sites that require signing up and purchasing data quotas, you name it.  Is there an easy location to get the data?  Second question.  Do I need to be running CTP13 or can I still perform the upgrade when my firmware is CTP17?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Well, I have found that a good place to find the files is right here, some folks have the latest files on file servers. Otherwise, you could go to this link, where the latest files (NA 2019.20) reside...you will need to set up an account, but you will get full access to all the files you need (and some you might not.) You will need a way to explore the .rar files you will get access to...I recommend 7-Zip. After that, you need to make sure your radio firmware is downgraded to CTP13...CTP17 will not allow you to do the upgrade of the maps.

And yes, you need to follow the instructions in post 1 to the letter, which means you need to have at least two USB drives (three might be even better,) a few hours to kill, and a full tank of gas.

• 1 month later...

So, I'm getting the 31a0 error attempting to downgrade/install cpt13.... 

Pulling the fuse doesn't make a difference, and now nav seems completely gone.  GPS doesn't work, even for setting the clock....

Compass no longer functions either

Ok, on Step 4 of the original procedure, it warns of the possibility of getting the 31a0 issue. That sends you to the fallback procedure:

Fallback method for installing full update:
The problem is that the maps are getting too big. If there's not enough free space in the radio to fit the updated files, the validation process will fail. There is a way to 'clean' out the radio of the older map files so that enough space is recovered for a full update. When you install the new map, the old files are deleted during the process. If you do not have new files to replace them in the update USB stick, nothing gets copied in their place so the internal flash drive space is released.

Step 1:

1) On the USB stick, create another folder in the root named "Disabled".
2) Move all of the Garmin subfolders (ASR, JCV, & SID) into the "Disabled" folder.
3) Plug the USB stick into the car and perform the update. It will be faster, since fewer files are installed.

When this is done, you will have only updated the three files in the Garmin folder, gmapprom.img, gmap3d.img, and gmaptz.img. This will give you updated detailed maps, 3D landmarks, and time zones.

Step 2:

1) On the USB stick, move gmap3d.img & gmaptz.img from the Garmin folder into the Disabled folder. Leave gmapprom.img in the Garmin folder.
2) Move the JCV folder from the Disabled folder into the Garmin folder.
3) Plug the USB stick into the car and perform the update again.

When this is done, the Junction View is now installed, and the 3D landmarks and time zones are still there.

Step 3:

1) On the USB stick, move the ASR & SID folders from the Disabled folder into the Garmin folder. Leave gmapprom.img and the JCV folder in the Garmin folder.
2) Plug the USB stick into the car and perform the update once again.

After this is completed, the system is fully updated to the new maps and all features work except for the phone number lookup.

Yeah over gone thru all that. I've pulled the fuse, no go.  Its almost like it blipped after deleting the ctp17 but before finishing loading the ctp13 software 

I will try completely disconnecting the battery tonight at some point, but I suspect its completely hosed

• 4 weeks later...

I think I did something very wrong, trying to update to the Garmin 2019.30 maps.

Went to downgrade from CTP17 to 13...followed the usual procedure, but had to interrupt the process after the flashing. Now the nav window has been showing "Loading, please wait" for quite a long time (since last night! See the picture)

Any suggestions on what I can do? 

IMG_8410.jpg

I'm a the the same stage, for weeks now...

After I lost the compass. 

I've tried over 10 different pens, DVD,s, using a battery booster, disconnect the battery for one hour, different firmware versions...

After a visit to Dodge, they couldn't put it back to life either. I'm waiting for a new one.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

I have fiat freemont, wich has similar headunit like Journey. My question: I have a 2019.20. map file (europe), unlocked, but i just have the file names for .asr and .jcv files for 2019.10. mappack. It will cause any problem? Or how can i get the lastest filenames for these files? Thanks!

On 12/4/2018 at 4:51 PM, Tikker said:

So, I'm getting the 31a0 error attempting to downgrade/install cpt13.... 

Pulling the fuse doesn't make a difference, and now nav seems completely gone.  GPS doesn't work, even for setting the clock....

Compass no longer functions either

Wow that sucks... sorry to hear that.

31A0 error code, although not confirmed, but usually meant the Journey's radio does not like your USB device (drive/card reader/memory). Try a new USB 3.0 drive from Bestbuy/Amazon/local shop.

What steps did you took to downgrade the firmware to CPT13? Could you confirm the "update" software (CPT13) is legit and is for your Journey's radio? If you flash the wrong firmware you would "brick" it.

You don't need to pull the fuse or disconnect battery. 

Have you tried the "Garmin Recovery update" from the Dealer Mode menu?

On 12/31/2018 at 2:16 PM, JAR414 said:

I think I did something very wrong, trying to update to the Garmin 2019.30 maps.

Went to downgrade from CTP17 to 13...followed the usual procedure, but had to interrupt the process after the flashing. Now the nav window has been showing "Loading, please wait" for quite a long time (since last night! See the picture)

Any suggestions on what I can do? 

IMG_8410.jpg

Have you tried the "Garmin Recovery update" from the Dealer Mode menu? load a USB drive with a firmware update (from Uconnect website) that is for your Journey and insert it.

Just a note: Under no circumstances would you interrupt a firmware update process, especially dealing with uconnect system.

Pulling fuse or disconnect battery will not solve your problem.

It's like installing Windows OS on your computer, and in the process the power is disconnected, or while flashing your phone's software and the battery is removed. No matter how many times you try to restart it won't work because the very thing (firmware) that runs it is corrupted (not installed right).

3 hours ago, cody168 said:

Wow that sucks... sorry to hear that.

31A0 error code, although not confirmed, but usually meant the Journey's radio does not like your USB device (drive/card reader/memory). Try a new USB 3.0 drive from Bestbuy/Amazon/local shop.

What steps did you took to downgrade the firmware to CPT13? Could you confirm the "update" software (CPT13) is legit and is for your Journey's radio? If you flash the wrong firmware you would "brick" it.

You don't need to pull the fuse or disconnect battery. 

Have you tried the "Garmin Recovery update" from the Dealer Mode menu?

Have you tried the "Garmin Recovery update" from the Dealer Mode menu? load a USB drive with a firmware update (from Uconnect website) that is for your Journey and insert it.

Well, I tried using a USB 3.0 drive, with the UConnect upgrade from the UConnect website...still getting nowhere, when using Garmin Recovery Update from the Dealer Mode. I keep getting the 31A0 and 31A2 errors. Any other possible troubleshooting suggestions?  Thanks!

My next step might be to buy the NavTool system so that at least I can have Apple CarPlay and use Waze.

NavTool for Apple CarPlay

They also have a solution if you have Android or just simply want to mirror your phone (regardless of OS) on your screen.

NavTool with HDMI Interface for any phone

30 minutes ago, JAR414 said:

Well, I tried using a USB 3.0 drive, with the UConnect upgrade from the UConnect website...still getting nowhere, when using Garmin Recovery Update from the Dealer Mode. I keep getting the 31A0 and 31A2 errors. Any other possible troubleshooting suggestions?  Thanks!

The only thing I could think of right now is get another USB 3.0 drive/card reader, and try again. Based on my experience, 31A0 = it doesn't like your USB drive anymore; 31A2 = not enough internal space for copying.

I heard there is a hidden "engineering menu" with factory reset option on it, also a hidden "status menu" from the Nav screen. I haven't try it yet.

20 minutes ago, JAR414 said:

My next step might be to buy the NavTool system so that at least I can have Apple CarPlay and use Waze.

NavTool for Apple CarPlay

They also have a solution if you have Android or just simply want to mirror your phone (regardless of OS) on your screen.

NavTool with HDMI Interface for any phone

Good to know.

On a separate issue, for this I am more interest in knowing how to "zoom in" on the rear VES screen. It only display 4:3 by default.