pyrater

8.4 uconnect cannot unlock maps - FIXED IN 6 STEPS (Confirmed)

Just purchased a 2016 Journey and dealer says they want an extra $500 at my cost to have the navigation fixed. I thought it would be covered by warranty but they claim it's not.. this thread helps, however I have no idea where to find the maps. Can someone please help? I Was excited about the navigation then after I purchased the vehicle they tell me about the extra $500 fee and I was aggravated about it. I figured it should work from the get go but I guess not..

4 hours ago, stazz75 said:

Just purchased a 2016 Journey and dealer says they want an extra $500 at my cost to have the navigation fixed. I thought it would be covered by warranty but they claim it's not.. this thread helps, however I have no idea where to find the maps. Can someone please help? I Was excited about the navigation then after I purchased the vehicle they tell me about the extra $500 fee and I was aggravated about it. I figured it should work from the get go but I guess not..

Base warranty is 3/36 - if the vehicle has more than 3 years or 36K miles on it then the manufacturer's warranty on the navigator will have expired.  However even if it has, everything ought to have been working when they delivered it to you.

If not, it CAN be made to work without dealer intervention, as you know if you read through this topic.

Edited by bramfrank

9 hours ago, stazz75 said:

Navigation is more trouble than it's worth....lol. 

1 hour ago, jkeaton said:

Navigation is more trouble than it's worth....lol. 

I've never had any problems with the one in my Journey - and I'd wager that statement applies to the overwhelming majority of owners out there.

I've replaced my radio 4 times so far for this issue.

I'm guessing a lot of people simply don't use navigation, either that or when you get your radio swapped, you get it swapped with some "refurbished" unit, that simply breaks again after a few months.

"Refurbished" in quotes because what I am guessing is happening, is that they just keep putting the corrupted file back on the radio, and saying it's new, even though the memory module is somehow defective.

It's like if your hard drive gets corrupted, and instead of replacing it, you just install everything back on it and hope it's fine now.

I followed the instructions here, and the Nav unit on my 2014 DJ-SXT is working like a charm.