8.4 uconnect cannot unlock maps - FIXED IN 6 STEPS (Confirmed)

Hi everyone.

Today upon starting the Navigation I got the "Can't Unlock Maps"... out of nothing like everybody else.

My car is a 2014 with the 5 year/100,000 KM and currently sits at 55,400 km.

My questions to all are:

1. Should I proceed to a dealership to have it fixed/replaced under warranty?
  2. If i want to fix it with this topic, where can I download the files? Any PM would be helpful!...

20180121_163941_HDR.jpg

I have had the 2014 DJ and had units replaced to no avail. Can't unlock maps comes back. Leased a 2016 DJ and today can't unlock maps. This is a DJ issue and the only way it will go away is when they end production of the DJ. Thank god as this issue has been a pain in the butt for many people. Sad thing is this is going on years as an issue. There is no easy fix and as a consumer we should not have to jump through hoops downloading files from the internet in an attempt to fix this issue that will just keep coming back. I would never in my life ever purchase a DJ because of this issue and the dealers attitude towards the repairs on them. If you are thinking about buying a DJ don't walk away run. Terrible system and terrible PR on Chrysler's end.

Never had my navigator go bad.  This does NOT affect every, or even a major percentage of the units.

However, because they swap out a bad unit for one that was sent in to be reloaded, what they are replacing yours with is one that has issues that were reset and is thus prone to failing again, since they weren't repaired.

As I explained previously I just entered the Dodge Journey experience as a owner...

After some reading I concluded that the 2014 onward was very good bet as the brakes have improved. I took from there and here I am.

So far I love the car. Of course I could complain about consumption... but I won't... I went for a V6 and I know it! :yup: 

But so far in these 3 weeks of ownership I've had some really revealing experiences. 

Without naming names and places here's my saga regarding the Navigation and attempt:

1. One day I went to buy new front wiper blades and a cabin filter. When I started to change the cabin filter, removed the glove-box and found a big invoice that got stuck behind it. That invoice is from maintenance done at Chrysler Dealership that also sold the car. There's the details of the original owner. I emailed him and asked for some details. He kindly replied authorizing to contact them for the full history and to alert me that there's an extended warranty on the car...
    I contact the dealership and the service manager sent me all the maintenance done so far and, quote: " also the vehicle has extended contract so when you go to the Dealer in Toronto make sure it is transferred and have them check your Navi because under the plan a radio would be covered." The same radio was already replaced on 3/6/16 at 23,229 km... 
  2. I've been to two dealerships where I live. The one where I did the steering wheel recall and another... The first never told me about extra protection available or any other details... They tell me the 5/100,000 km warranty is for the power-train. The rest was 3 years and 60,000 km.  A new radio is around $1,000.00. They ask me if where I bought it included an extra warranty and to call them to find out. I did. Very professionally they said no BUT to go ahead with the replacement as they would pay for it!
  3. The second was better but pushed me back to original Chrysler dealership which has on record the extended warranty, and say they are the ones supposed to transfer the warranty to me. 
  4. So I emailed the original dealership... they asked for ownership and mileage. They did it and got back to me confirming it and asking to wait 24 hours  to make sure it shows up under my name.
  5. After I got back to the dealer i bought it from. Explained all, and everybody is happy. As a courtesy they are giving me some cash back... I didn't ask for nothing. It just goes towards a very good impression I retained from where I bought it.

After all this I'm still trying to find and download all the files needed for the solution in these thread (I accept tips:cool:)... Because after all warranties expire... we can always use this method to make the Nav come back...

Thanks for reading... It's the sharing of information that keeps forums great!

Edited by Miguel Pereira

6 minutes ago, larryl said:

If its the Gold plan from Chrysler you have a real good extended warranty and the Nav unit will be covered until the warrany expires with no deductible it is great coverage...good for you but I think the dealership was trying to pull a fast one

I'll see shortly... Next week I'll book an appointment to check the navigation issue!

The first dealership where I went for the recall was clearly trying to get an easy $1,000 out of me for a new radio that would have been for sure a refurbished one.

That's too bad as I won't go back there.

6 hours ago, Miguel Pereira said:

I'll see shortly... Next week I'll book an appointment to check the navigation issue!

The first dealership where I went for the recall was clearly trying to get an easy $1,000 out of me for a new radio that would have been for sure a refurbished one.

That's too bad as I won't go back there.

There's a recall on the radio (R65) that SHOULD apply to the repair, even if it has been applied before, since obviously it would not have been successful, since the problem has recurred.

And, if you have an extended warranty that applies to the whole vehicle (rather than just the power train) you'd be covered under that as a backstop. 

But it SHOULD be a no cost swap for you either way, as far as I'm concerned.

On 1/26/2018 at 5:20 PM, OhareFred said:

You can go to Mopar.com, put your info in and it will show whatever dealer repairs were made and any warranty information....

Indeed it does say that the Campaign for the Navigation software was performed... on the the original radio, not on this one that was replaced. 

On 1/26/2018 at 5:20 PM, OhareFred said:

You can go to Mopar.com, put your info in and it will show whatever dealer repairs were made and any warranty information....

Indeed it does say that the Campaign for the Navigation software was performed... on the the original radio, not on this one that was replaced. 

Update:

1- Indeed the guide on the first page works perfect. I have now the Navigation fully working.

2- Soon I have to setup a service appointment, I'll ask them to perform the R65 on this unit.

3- Now I need to have the Windshield Washer Hose replaced (?!) its totally broken in two spots where the hood hinge is.

Edited by Miguel Pereira

6 hours ago, Miguel Pereira said:

Update:

1- Indeed the guide on the first page works perfect. I have now the Navigation fully working.

2- Soon I have to setup a service appointment, I'll ask them to perform the R65 on this unit.

3- Now I need to have the Windshield Washer Hose replaced (?!) its totally broken in two spots where the hood hinge is.

By default R65 will have been performed on your radio, since R65 only requires that nav version CTP16 (CTP17 these days) be installed, which it is on radios replaced after the release of that version, not to mention that you've performed the update yourself as a function of the procedure you performed - it doesn't help prevent these failures, mind you.

My point is that there would be no point in arguing with the service department if/when they tell you the recall's already been applied, because effectively, it has.

• 3 weeks later...

On 1/25/2018 at 11:27 PM, larryl said:

If its the Gold plan from Chrysler you have a real good extended warranty and the Nav unit will be covered until the warrany expires with no deductible it is great coverage...good for you but I think the dealership was trying to pull a fast one

Just a quick update:

I went to a dealership to have the 56,000 km service done.

All went accordingly and I asked them to print me out the details about the extended warranty, as it was transferred to me by the dealership were it was sold new.

It's a 5/100 Gold Plan.

So I'm covered until September 2019. I'l ask them if I can extended this (paying of course) further.

Also a quick thank you to all the members. I've learned a lot by being part of this group. If I can help or give back, please ask! :worship:

Time to try to install some LED low beams and fog lights! :cool:

Edited by Miguel Pereira

• 1 month later...

Having the same issues trying to find a link for the files. My 14 Journey says Cant Unlock Maps and cant find detailed maps. Will also have to downgrade to CTP13, but that doesn’t appear to be such a hard find. TIA, folks

I am a senior with the Can't Unlock Maps on my 2014 Journey. The message showed up right around 39000km so is out of warranty. I gave the instructions on page 1 a try, but was unable to locate many of the files. Is there perhaps a Reddit that contains all the required files? I had no idea how many people have been impacted by this, some on several occasions. Shame on Chrysler

3 hours ago, KeithS said:

I am a senior with the Can't Unlock Maps on my 2014 Journey. The message showed up right around 39000km so is out of warranty. I gave the instructions on page 1 a try, but was unable to locate many of the files. Is there perhaps a Reddit that contains all the required files? I had no idea how many people have been impacted by this, some on several occasions. Shame on Chrysler

Since the bumper to bumper warranty is 60,000 km your mileage is not the factor.  Time is.

Has the R65 recall been done on your vehicle?  It wouldn't matter whether it had been or not if you lived in Quebec - this is a design defect, so there should be no time limit. But there was a recall for this and if it hasn't been done on your vehicle, then there should be no cost . . . . and if it WAS done, it was ineffective and  they should step up.

I would reach out to Chrysler Canada, because your dealer is an ass if he didn't.  You may be able to get them to do the right thing.

On 4/13/2018 at 9:25 PM, XR600RR said:

I have same issue now. I cannot find the files to flash my unit. Can someone help a brother out?

My suggestion would be to use BitTorrent and download the (assuming you’re in North America) the Garmin North American City Navigator NT 2019.10 in .rar format. It comes down as a 5 gigabyte file, but then you can extract just the files you need...only files I can’t find are gmapbmap and gmaptz (base map and time zone map, respectively). One of the files (gmapprom, I think) is 2 gigabytes by itself!!!

On 4/8/2018 at 4:51 AM, bramfrank said:

Since the bumper to bumper warranty is 60,000 km your mileage is not the factor.  Time is.

Has the R65 recall been done on your vehicle?  It wouldn't matter whether it had been or not if you lived in Quebec - this is a design defect, so there should be no time limit. But there was a recall for this and if it hasn't been done on your vehicle, then there should be no cost . . . . and if it WAS done, it was ineffective and  they should step up.

I would reach out to Chrysler Canada, because your dealer is an ass if he didn't.  You may be able to get them to do the right thing.

The dealer in Illinois i bought my 2014 used, they just did the R65 recall on mine, and are now looking for a way to do the replacement for free (they acknowledged that Dodge screwed the pooch)

5 hours ago, JAR414 said:

The dealer in Illinois i bought my 2014 used, they just did the R65 recall on mine, and are now looking for a way to do the replacement for free (they acknowledged that Dodge screwed the pooch)

Not sure what the dealer's issue is - R65 calls for the replacement of the radio if it is in trouble when the recall is performed . . . .

The line I got from my dealership is that the R65 recall is VIN specific, and my VIN does not qualify. Their suggestion was for me to call FCA national number. I haven't gotten to that yet. Not sure how much of my time that's going to eat up. I'm using my old reliable TomTom stuck to the windshield for now. 

4 hours ago, KeithS said:

The line I got from my dealership is that the R65 recall is VIN specific, and my VIN does not qualify. Their suggestion was for me to call FCA national number. I haven't gotten to that yet. Not sure how much of my time that's going to eat up. I'm using my old reliable TomTom stuck to the windshield for now. 

Go to the web site and look up the recall status of your vehicle.

I was under the impression that R65 applied to all of the 3rd generation radios, which were introduced in mid-2013, up to whenever CTP-16 was released (which didn't solve the problem in any case).

Edited by bramfrank

Success!! Two+ hours and two resets later, I finished updating to the 2019.10 North American city maps. Torrents helped get the whole North American maps (other than the base map and the time zone maps, which were already in the unit)

It seems to be working like a charm. Thanks for the great help, everyone!

7 minutes ago, JAR414 said:

Success!! Two+ hours and two resets later, I finished updating to the 2019.10 North American city maps. Torrents helped get the whole North American maps (other than the base map and the time zone maps, which were already in the unit)

It seems to be working like a charm. Thanks for the great help, everyone!

Perfect!

Enjoy your updated maps!