2014 Dodge Journey Rear View Mirror Outside Sensor.

rayray0114

Hey All,

I am trying to figure out what the sensor is that is located on the back of the rear view mirror. I have the Uconnect system with auto dimming, but there is also a sensor on the back of the mirror housing facing the windshield. Does anyone know what this is or what is does? I called 2 different dealers and neither or them seem to know.

Thanks all.

jkeaton - I don't believe there is a problem with it, I just don't know what it is for. My daytime running light sensor is in the dash, the auto dimmer sensor is on the inside of the rear view mirror and I don't have auto wipers so not sure what is the purpose this sensor on the back of the mirror.

larryl - Not sure if it is a humidity sensor or not. I have called 2 different Dodge dealerships and neither seem to know what it's for. 

Hi. 

Theres something for you. 

The sensor toward the windshield is the ambiant light sensor, and the one facing you is the glare light sensor.

In the night, the ambiant light sends information to the electronics or (control unit if you prefer) of the mirror so it knows it is night time condition, and if there is a light behind you that causes glare, the glare sensor will send information to the electronics. 

After that, it will send a very low voltage to the mirror, which will result a dark dimmed mirror. 

That is why in the day the mirror is never dark even if lets say there is sun behind you. 

They both work together. 

I hope it helps :) 

MF

Edited by mfeel

15 minutes ago, rayray0114 said:

Thanks MF...So there a sensor for the Auto Headlights, a sensor for the Auto Dimmer Mirror, and  Ambient Light Sensor behind the mirror...Wow...Thanks again for clearing that up for me... I didn't have any clue what that sensor was for til now...:hyper:

You are wrong about the auto headlight sensor. 

This sensor is the like a small ball, Right under the mopar name on the windshield in the middle of the dash, in front.

It is circular, and it is small. 

That picture is not from a journey, but still you get it. sensor.gif

Edited by mfeel

Got it MF. I had figure that the dome looking ball in the dash was for the Auto Headlights. The sensor that is embedded on the back of the rear-view mirror (which I now know is the Ambient Light Sensor) is the one that I had no idea what it was used for. Thanks again for clearing all that up.