Trailer hitch list?

BrianS

Is there a list somewhere that lists what hitch fits what year DJ? I've been offered a "new in the box" hitch for a very reasonable price. My DJ is a '15 Limited and the hitch was purchased for a '10 DJ. A guy at work has it, never used it, and sold his DJ, but can't remember what model it was. 

He's going to try and get the make and model of hitch this w/e and let me know on Monday. Hopefully I can check with manufacturer and see if it will fit mine.

I just picked up a Curt hitch and wiring kit off ebay for $150 shipped.  I've not put it on yet, but this weekend I am.  It's a class 3 hitch, bigger than I need but it will do the job I need it to do.  The listing was for a 2012-2016, so there's a good chance if it was for a 2010, it won't fit or if it does will need modified in some way.  When I compare photos, they appear the same.

Edited by Steven Harshbarger
just an update.

have him bring it over to your house and hold it under your frame you should be able to see if the holes line up with your holes in your frame. also the correct hitch only cost about $120. on amazon, that is where i bought my curt hitch from ,fit like a charm   P.S. there should also be 2 shims that i believe you will need on the rear bolts of the hitch one each side.

Edited by 2late4u

18 hours ago, BrianS said:

Is there a list somewhere that lists what hitch fits what year DJ? I've been offered a "new in the box" hitch for a very reasonable price. My DJ is a '15 Limited and the hitch was purchased for a '10 DJ. A guy at work has it, never used it, and sold his DJ, but can't remember what model it was. 

He's going to try and get the make and model of hitch this w/e and let me know on Monday. Hopefully I can check with manufacturer and see if it will fit mine.

You could probably google a list. 

Edited by jkeaton

• 5 weeks later...

OK, to revisit this... I have this hitch in hand finally and it is a  factory hitch, not an aftermarket like I first thought. I've got the hitch and the hardware kit (nuts, bolts, and a couple of brackets) but NO instruction sheet. He's looking for it, but so far no joy. Hitch installation is pretty basic, but the 2 brackets confuse me a bit. I "think" they go over the rear frame members before the hitch is bolted in place, but just guessing at this point.

Super simple. Disconnect the exhaust from the the hangers. Bolt Holes line tight up to the brackets on the hitch. If you can, use a wire to pull the bolts into the holes. The furthest back bolts should have a shim that guests inside the frame, then tighten all the bolts 100 lbs and your Golden. Reattach the exhaust, Your done. I just added one to mine couple weeks back.

15 hours ago, BrianS said:

OK, to revisit this... I have this hitch in hand finally and it is a  factory hitch, not an aftermarket like I first thought. I've got the hitch and the hardware kit (nuts, bolts, and a couple of brackets) but NO instruction sheet. He's looking for it, but so far no joy. Hitch installation is pretty basic, but the 2 brackets confuse me a bit. I "think" they go over the rear frame members before the hitch is bolted in place, but just guessing at this point.

Google is your friend.

https://youtu.be/PRFC-Hx4zH8

18 hours ago, BrianS said:

simple go back to the dealership and ask for info they should be able to help you,since its a factory hitch

12 hours ago, jkeaton said:

Google is your friend.

https://youtu.be/PRFC-Hx4zH8

Thanks, found that one already. Not the same hitch. Yes, I do realize that it mounts to the same points on the DJ, but mine has those 2 extra pieces that I have to figure out where they go. 

Well, Google is INDEED my friend here.... I did another search and found this: Mopar hitch Not sure how I missed it before, but I did and that's that. Not exactly the same as this one has the reciever in a vertical position?? and mine is the standard horizontal position. This shows the 2 pieces that I wasn't completely sure about, and they go pretty much where I figured they went. Instructions call for removal of facia, AND metal bumper

23 minutes ago, BrianS said:

Well, Google is INDEED my friend here.... I did another search and found this: Mopar hitch Not sure how I missed it before, but I did and that's that. Not exactly the same as this one has the reciever in a vertical position?? and mine is the standard horizontal position. This shows the 2 pieces that I wasn't completely sure about, and they go pretty much where I figured they went. Instructions call for removal of facia, AND metal bumper

23 minutes ago, BrianS said:

you should have bought a curt hitch like i did about $130 if i remember right bolted up no problem fit like a glove didnt have to remove fascia and metal bumper as you are going to have to do. about 2-3 inches between fascia and top of the hitch plenty of room. If i was you id go to amazon buy the curt hitch and then try to resell your other oem hitch on Craigs list for what ever you can get out of it... just my 2 cents worth. good luck on what ever you decide to do.......

18 hours ago, 2late4u said:

you should have bought a curt hitch like i did about $130 if i remember right bolted up no problem fit like a glove didnt have to remove fascia and metal bumper as you are going to have to do. about 2-3 inches between fascia and top of the hitch plenty of room. If i was you id go to amazon buy the curt hitch and then try to resell your other oem hitch on Craigs list for what ever you can get out of it... just my 2 cents worth. good luck on what ever you decide to do.......

I'm thinking you're right... took a closer look at the one I have and it DOES have the vertical mount, exactly like the one in the instructions I found.  Ball mounts for this hitch run around $55 on Amazon, and only one height so if I have a different height trailer I can't get a different one to compensate for it. I l haven't paid the guy for it yet.. might just give it back and say thanks, but no thanks. 

• 3 weeks later...