New 8.4 Uconnect update available

They've all been available since their respective release dates.

The 3rd one replaces the first, but 15.09.D1 could well be a prerequisite for 16.21.D7, which is simply a later version of the first.

Edit:  Mea Culpa - The last time I actually checked was before the release date . . . . . it DOES offer me the file.  I wish they published changelogs, because it has nothing to do with the navigator and the radio has been rock solid.

Edited by bramfrank

11 minutes ago, jshabouk said:

Ok...just put the update on my radio...it didn't do ANYTHING!

That you noticed. 

These updates don't add features.  They are intended to fix bugs.  And they might include changes that impact on hidden (or to close unintended access to) services or capabilities.

That's why I don't apply updates without having the changelog data. 

INCLUDE, ADDING 2016 JC, NEW SOFTWARE FOR NAVIGATION AND RADIO CONTROL HEAD,
ADDITIONAL SYMPTOMS, ADDED REPAIR STEP, NOTES...

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with one of the following radios:
· UConnect Touch 8.4 CD/DVD/MP3/NAV (sales code RB4) (2014 and 2015 Model Year Only)
· UConnect Touch 8.4 CD/DVD/MP3/NAV (sales code RB5)
· UConnect Touch 8.4n CD/DVD/MP3/NAV (sales code RB6)
· Media CTR 641N CD/DVD/MP3/NAV (Japan) (sales code RE4)
· Media CTR 641N CD/DVD/MP3/NAV (S.K.) (sales code RE7)
· UConnect Touch 8.4 CD/DVD/MP3 (sales code RE2)
· UConnect Touch 8.4N CD/DVD/MP3 (sales code RE3)
· UConnect Touch 8.4 CD/DVD/MP3 (sales code RE6)

CAUTION: U.S. vehicles with an RB5 radio may have an active RRT. If there is an
open RRT, that radio software update MUST be performed first.

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
A customer may experience one or more of the following conditions:
· ** Navigation screen locks up or display will be blank (Software has been updated to better address this condition).
· Intermittently the radio display screen may be black or the radio will reset.**
· Navigation feature lockout disabled (International Only) (Software has been updated to better address this condition).
· Improve FM radio reception (This only applies to 2013 or 2014 LX vehicles with RE6, RB6 radios located in Dubai).
· Radio display screen shows “Test Mode”.
· Navigation system may reset intermittently.
· Translation improvements/corrections.
· System consistency and operational improvements for menu selections, month/date formatting, and Garmin translation functions.
· Radio system improvements during remote start operation.
· Unable to adjust radio volume using steering wheel switch intermittently.
· Second screen is blank when using split screen function.
· Some functionality for Japanese and Korean languages- keyboard, search, sort and jump.
· Unable to add contacts to the favorite list.
· Unable to dial the phone from the radio, while still able to dial from the phone.
· Unable to delete a cell phone number from the favorite list.
· More space available for phone book entries.
· BlackBerry support for playing songs.
· Reduce ticking noise during CD/USB pause and Voice Recognition (VR) is silent between prompts.
· VR unable to transition from non-navigation to navigation mode.
· iPod screen is displayed with navigation screen.
· Asian language translation added.
· Highlighted preset continues blinking.
· Takes more than one button press to select preset #10.
· Unable to adjust volume from steering wheel switches.
· Clock adjust pop up message displayed in English rather than current language.
· Can not connect to the phone after it has been disconnected.
· Teleprompter screen shows incomplete text.
· Some functionality for traffic & weather jump button.
· After changing a language and then selecting CDDA, “of” is displayed as a tracking number.
· In “Set Date Year” only 3 digits are displayed.

· Split map view will not cancel.
· Map screen turns black when driving.
· When in Italian, the destination arrival text will overlap onto the map.
· Does not accept Iraq when commanding “Set Target Country”.
· Some pop up message characters are displayed with “!#”.
· Traffic programming slow to start.

--------------------

Thanks for posting this - as usual it fixes problems my radio never suffers (which is, I suppose a good thing), though if I ever ship my DJ to Iraq or if I have a stroke and suddenly can only speak Italian for some reason (I don't speak Italian now) I MAY have to apply it . . . . .

Now, it seems they have released a new Navigator file, version 7.09 / CTP17.  I don't see it when I enter the VIN associated with my radio, but I do have a copy and have read that others seem to be receiving it from the update site - but I don't have the bulletin number for it.  So I also wonder about that one . . . .

On 1/13/2017 at 3:43 AM, bramfrank said:

Now, it seems they have released a new Navigator file, version 7.09 / CTP17.  I don't see it when I enter the VIN associated with my radio, but I do have a copy and have read that others seem to be receiving it from the update site - but I don't have the bulletin number for it.  So I also wonder about that one . . . .

The same bulletin mentions 7.09 (TSB 08-004-17 / RRT 15-112). I updated 2014 RB5 from CTP 16 to 7.09/CTP 17, and, as a test, afterwards reverted it back to CTP13, and then back to CTP17. If you need a copy of the TSB shoot me a PM.

23 minutes ago, Milous said:

The same bulletin mentions 7.09 (TSB 08-004-17 / RRT 15-112). I updated 2014 RB5 from CTP 16 to 7.09/CTP 17, and, as a test, afterwards reverted it back to CTP13, and then back to CTP17. If you need a copy of the TSB shoot me a PM.

Thanks . . . the CTP17 information you've provided is essentially what I was looking for.  Is it appropriate to assume you also did the radio update?

Both updates will be installed today if that's the case.

Edited by bramfrank

24 minutes ago, bramfrank said:

Thanks . . . the CTP17 information you've provided is essentially what I was looking for.  Is it appropriate to assume you also did the radio update?

Both updates will be installed today if that's the case.

Yes, both updates.

Well that went almost smoothly . . . . . I am now running 16.21.D7 and CTP17 . . . . .

But when I restored my settings, the radio said to touch the 'OK' button after the process and when I did it went black and shut down.  Two vehicle starts later it was back and fine, however.

I don't expect much difference, since I never had any issues before and as I wrote, I don't care to use my vehicle in Iraq nor to have to display and presumably communicate in Italian; an upgrade for upgrade's sake.

• 2 months later...

I did this update from Nov and my radio is working worse than before. I use an iPhone 7 and I can not use voice control to make a call but I was able to use voice control to make a call if the person was listed in my favorites. Now my voice control does not recognize my favorites either. What a pile of junk the Uconnect system is in the journey. It makes me upset that they have had a newer system out and installed it in other vehicles such as the Jeep Cherokee and Dodge Durango. But kept installing the inferior system in the journey. when asked about getting it swapped when my unit completely failed and need replaced. I was told they cant because of the wiring harness. I was told they are about to launch a large update to our 8.4 system relatively soon. But I'll believe it when i see it. 

Were you having problems before you did the flash?  Did you check to see what was fixed by the new release?  There's a saying we use in the high tech world; 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'.  You CAN roll back the radio firmware by reflashing it with the version you had before.  I have copies of the last few firmware versions for the rev-3 hardware - what year is your Journey?  What firmware did you install?

The Journey is an older design and so is it's entertainment system.  They can't install the new and it has little to do with the wiring and lots to do with integration with the vehicle's computers.

You won't see anything major changing with the RE2/RB5, but the 8.4A will get a big facelift - but we don't have the 8.4A.

As to you not being able to make calls with your phone.  Delete the phone and from uConnect and delete uConnect from the phone and then try to re-pair it. Unfortunately Apple's last 2 operating system releases do not implement the BT profiles properly and to be fair, it was actually Apple that broke the system, not uconnect.

• 4 years later...
On 28.03.2017 at 3:48 AM, bramfrank said:

Were you having problems before you did the flash?  Did you check to see what was fixed by the new release?  There's a saying we use in the high tech world; 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'.  You CAN roll back the radio firmware by reflashing it with the version you had before.  I have copies of the last few firmware versions for the rev-3 hardware - what year is your Journey?  What firmware did you install?

The Journey is an older design and so is it's entertainment system.  They can't install the new and it has little to do with the wiring and lots to do with integration with the vehicle's computers.

You won't see anything major changing with the RE2/RB5, but the 8.4A will get a big facelift - but we don't have the 8.4A.

As to you not being able to make calls with your phone.  Delete the phone and from uConnect and delete uConnect from the phone and then try to re-pair it. Unfortunately Apple's last 2 operating system releases do not implement the BT profiles properly and to be fair, it was actually Apple that broke the system, not uconnect.

Hi, bramfrank

I own Dodge Journey 2018 and I failed to install update for the Navigation system at my Uconnect 8.4.

As you wrote about the last few firmware that you have, then I'd appreciate if you could send it to me to recover my Nav. I'll try to reinstall firmware.

Below a pict of my Nav. frozen on stage of uploading the maps. The rest of functions on Uconnect (radio, phone, climate...) are available and operates in normal conditions.

I also add a pict of Uconnect with factory info.

Your support is highly appreciated.

IMG-356012fe9548355f2fcae09c622771f9-V.jpg

20211206_181155.jpg

• 2 months later...